Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default My latest chip design

My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

...Jim Thompson

Awesome. Is that on the customer's PCB? Is that their only use?

Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:45:33 -0400, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

...Jim Thompson

Awesome. Is that on the customer's PCB?

Yes.

Is that their only use?

Bill

See....

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My..._Top_Level.pdf

It contains:

(1) Crystal oscillator (up to 27MHz)
(2) POR, multiple POR checks, plus a timer... because it contains
several bandgaps, it also serves as the master chip bias
(3) Iris_Control (exposure servo)
(4) EM_POTS, converts voltage or pot settings to PWM
(5) Day_Night, honking +/- 80mA H-bridge push-pull actuator for an
optical filter
(6) UTC (up the cable), video DC restorer and data extractor of data
in the VBI

Designed late last year for the group in New Zealand.

100% designed by yours truly :-)

And working on the end customer's PCB as of last Thursday.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:45:33 -0400, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
[...]

Very nice work. Wonder how big the board would be
to create that all from discrete components. 8^)

Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Bill Garber" wrote in message
Very nice work. Wonder how big the board would be
to create that all from discrete components. 8^)

Well, depending on how much digital business could be implemented in tricky
analog, it might not be so bad.

I wonder how big the *tube* equivalent would be. (c;

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:59:18 -0400, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:45:33 -0400, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
[...]

That's why Kiwi Semiconductor made the PCB's themselves... to
dramatically demonstrate the area savings. (Also significant power
savings at even better performance :-)

Kiwi is apparently at some show in Vegas this week showing off my work
:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

Too bad I cannot show you want I finished last month as it would surely put
me away for several life times. It puts your design to shame.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"flipper" wrote in message
I wonder how big the *tube* equivalent would be. (c;

Huge.

Often it's not as much the 'concept' as it is the ability to build it.
Take a gander at this: the first 'plasma TV'. And, for the time at
least, 'big screen'.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/bell_labs.html

How would you like to be the sucker stuck with hand wiring that thing?

"Huge"? I said tube, not mechanical. A bulb per pixel, without printed
wiring, is going to be terrible, that much is obvious. In contrast, a
proper tube reciever only needs maybe ten tubes for the whole thing (fifteen
if you include RF/IF strip, and about double that for color decoding). NTSC
TV is actually insanely simple to build, which is no coincidence as that's
what they had to work with, back in the day.

snip interesting TV history

Now, a security camera controller, Idunno. If it's just control loops and
stuff, no big deal. Heck, they even used vidicons up until quite recently.
If it's got a lot of digital decoding and encoding, that makes the solution
exponentially more active-device-intensive, which still isn't bad in and of
itself, but the difference is, transistors are printed, tubes are not.

Of course, regardless of the tube technology used (including recent field
emission research), it's hard to match CMOS current consumption.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

George Jefferson wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

Too bad I cannot show you want I finished last month as it would surely put
me away for several life times. It puts your design to shame.

Sure, it does... 'show you want I finished'

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:59:18 -0400, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:45:33 -0400, "Bill Garber"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...
[...]

That must be the ISC West, International Security Conference. Vicon is
around the block from me, they had pretty impressive stuff. And that
was 12 years ago.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:06:02 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

...Jim Thompson

Nice Jim.
How long did it take to complete?

I think they need more caps on their board though its only 90%
full.:-)

What are they bypass for the MCU ?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

...Jim Thompson

Nice Jim.
How long did it take to complete?

5 weeks start-to-finish... circuit design that is. 2 weeks for my
layout guy to generate GDSII for the mask set. Parts out of XFAB last
week.

I think they need more caps on their board though its only 90%
full.:-)

What are they bypass for the MCU ?

I know nothing about their board, or how they use it. I design from a
spec. They sign off on a spec. If it don't work in their board, but
meets their spec, too bad, so sad ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 01:00:52 -0500, "George Jefferson"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

Too bad I cannot show you want I finished last month as it would surely put
me away for several life times. It puts your design to shame.

Crikey! Another NymNoNuts ?:-)

FYI, that chip is a trivial one... high volume consumer stuff.

Last November I finished another design, probably 20X the complexity
of the Kiwi chip. It's still in layout, possibly done end of next
week.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 01:00:52 -0500, "George Jefferson"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

Too bad I cannot show you want I finished last month as it would surely put
me away for several life times. It puts your design to shame.

Too bad you're so full of ****.

Must be a terrible life to be so incompetent... know it... then act
like you don't :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

...Jim Thompson

All you can see there is a dull old chip package, how about a block
diagram or something better illustrating what's inside and the chips
functionality?

Regards,

John Byrns

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:16:13 -0500, John Byrns
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

My latest chip design, up and running...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/My...hip_Design.jpg

(Security camera controller... multiple video functions.)

...Jim Thompson

All you can see there is a dull old chip package, how about a block
diagram or something better illustrating what's inside and the chips
functionality?

Regards,

John Byrns

You missed my post where I directed you to...