Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Sonic Defender project

Hello,

I wanted to resurrect an old project from Popular Electronics magazine May
1991. I thought some people on this list might want to build it.

Its a very very loud alarm, to get someone's attention, but the frequencies
that it operates at don't match the description in the magazine article,
they're higher. The alarm is still very annoying though. Some of the parts
are not available such as the matsu****a transducer ( piezo) if anyone knows
were to get them please post. I use a piezo tweeter which is much larger
but works very well.

It's a three page article so here we go.

Shaun

Attached Thumbnails
Sonic Defender project-img003-jpg  Sonic Defender project-img001-jpg  Sonic Defender project-img002-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Shaun" wrote in message
Hello,

I wanted to resurrect an old project from Popular Electronics magazine May
1991. I thought some people on this list might want to build it.

Its a very very loud alarm, to get someone's attention, but the
frequencies
that it operates at don't match the description in the magazine article,
they're higher. The alarm is still very annoying though. Some of the
parts
are not available such as the matsu****a transducer ( piezo) if anyone
knows
were to get them please post. I use a piezo tweeter which is much larger
but works very well.

It's a three page article so here we go.

Shaun

oops, the pages didn't go threw in the right order.

also note that Niche Technologies cannot be found, so you can't order parts
from them.

Shaun

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Shaun" wrote in message

oops, the pages didn't go threw in the right order.

also note that Niche Technologies cannot be found, so you can't order
parts from them.

Shaun

Nice scan quality. You must have used high quality (low compression) as
there are very few artifacts about single points.
I usually try scanning to a PDF file and can get multiple pages into one
document. Single pages, especially with line art work well with a GIF
format.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Shaun" wrote in message
Hello,

I wanted to resurrect an old project from Popular Electronics magazine May
1991. I thought some people on this list might want to build it.

Its a very very loud alarm, to get someone's attention, but the
frequencies
that it operates at don't match the description in the magazine article,
they're higher. The alarm is still very annoying though. Some of the
parts
are not available such as the matsu****a transducer ( piezo) if anyone
knows
were to get them please post. I use a piezo tweeter which is much larger
but works very well.

It's a three page article so here we go.

Shaun

I figured out how to get the frequencies right. Change C3 and C4 to 0.022uF
from 0.01uF
That lowers the frequencies and make the alarm louder and at the right
pitch. Problem solved.

Shaun

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Shaun" wrote in message

"Shaun" wrote in message
[...]

Other changes for more power and louder:

Change the 10 ohm resistor (R7) at the emitter of Q1 to a 3.3 ohms at 1
watt.
Change R6 to 180 ohms.
Change R5 to 470 ohms.
And for the piezo buzzer, use a piezo tweeter, you can get them off of ebay.

Shaun

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Shaun" wrote in message

"Shaun" wrote in message
[...]

Correction: Change C4 to 0.022uF and leave C3 at 0.01uF

Shaun

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 19:06:17 -0600, Shaun wrote:

Other changes for more power and louder:

Change the 10 ohm resistor (R7) at the emitter of Q1 to a 3.3 ohms at 1
watt.
Change R6 to 180 ohms.
Change R5 to 470 ohms.
And for the piezo buzzer, use a piezo tweeter, you can get them off of
ebay.

Or just spring for a Sonalert and be done with it. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 19:06:17 -0600, Shaun wrote:

Other changes for more power and louder:

Change the 10 ohm resistor (R7) at the emitter of Q1 to a 3.3 ohms at 1
watt.
Change R6 to 180 ohms.
Change R5 to 470 ohms.
And for the piezo buzzer, use a piezo tweeter, you can get them off of
ebay.

Or just spring for a Sonalert and be done with it. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Warwick Sonic III amp N_Cook Electronics Repair 4 May 10th 20 05:06 AM
Worx Sonic Crafter Accidental UK diy 2 March 31st 09 08:13 PM
How to change the batteries in an Defender 3000 alarm system? Simon UK diy 4 March 24th 07 06:16 PM
Black Ice Defender John UK diy 52 October 6th 05 12:29 AM