Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Sample & hold - for frequency.

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

It occurs to me that there might be a PLL in there somewhere, but I've got
blank sheet of paper syndrome.

TIA.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:17:24 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

It occurs to me that there might be a PLL in there somewhere, but I've got
blank sheet of paper syndrome.

TIA.

Tape loop ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

It occurs to me that there might be a PLL in there somewhere, but I've got
blank sheet of paper syndrome.

TIA.

Tape loop ?:-)

A well trained mocking bird? ;-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"ian field" wrote in message
What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

It occurs to me that there might be a PLL in there somewhere, but I've got
blank sheet of paper syndrome.

TIA.

The Boss DF-2 pedal does something like that. See
http://www.schematicx.com/view-schem...dal-schematic/
for example.

Chris

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

---
I'm confused...

What do you mean by 'sampling' and what do you mean by 'threshold'?

JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

---
I'm confused...

What do you mean by 'sampling' and what do you mean by 'threshold'?

JF

Wasn't there at one time something called a "bucket brigade" that
could take snap-shot recordings?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like
Calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

---
I'm confused...

What do you mean by 'sampling' and what do you mean by 'threshold'?

JF

Wasn't there at one time something called a "bucket brigade" that
could take snap-shot recordings?

Digikey was still selling the Panasonic 'Bucket Brigade Analog Delay
Lines' a few years ago.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

---
I'm confused...

What do you mean by 'sampling' and what do you mean by 'threshold'?

JF

Wasn't there at one time something called a "bucket brigade" that
could take snap-shot recordings?

Digikey was still selling the Panasonic 'Bucket Brigade Analog Delay
Lines' a few years ago.

Of course, the best response to the OP is, "WHY?"

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

---
I'm confused...

What do you mean by 'sampling' and what do you mean by 'threshold'?

JF

Wasn't there at one time something called a "bucket brigade" that
could take snap-shot recordings?

Digikey was still selling the Panasonic 'Bucket Brigade Analog Delay
Lines' a few years ago.

Of course, the best response to the OP is, "WHY?"

---
I don't much care about why, since the fun for me is doing the design.
:-)

Seems what the OP wants to do is monitor a sine wave source and then
when the source's tone gets to some "threshold", have the device
monitoring the source generate that tone forever.

But, who knows for sure, since his "specs" were pretty sketchy?

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Indeed! Is the frequency always the same value? Or a variety of
frequencies? Why not a simple tone detector?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

---
I'm confused...

What do you mean by 'sampling' and what do you mean by 'threshold'?

Sample a frequency - the analogy with "sample and hold" is once the
frequency is recognised, something like a VCO continues to reproduce the
frequency until a reset.

Threshold is when a tone exceeds a set amplitude it triggers the sample
action, so as to prevent background sounds confusing the circuit.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

If it was only one frequency I could just build a sound activated
oscillator.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:11:38 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Why do you need to continue the tone?

Range of allowed input frequencies?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:11:38 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

If you sample the incoming waveform, then store it in a
shift-register, doesn't that give you what you want?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:09:04 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What would be the minimalist circuit blocks for a frequency domain sample
and hold?

What I envisage is the sampling triggered by a tone that exceeds a pre-set
threshold and continues to generate a copy of the tone until reset.

---
I'm confused...

What do you mean by 'sampling' and what do you mean by 'threshold'?

Sample a frequency - the analogy with "sample and hold" is once the
frequency is recognised, something like a VCO continues to reproduce the
frequency until a reset.

Threshold is when a tone exceeds a set amplitude it triggers the sample
action, so as to prevent background sounds confusing the circuit.

---
OK, that's doable.

Next, do you need the copy to be a sine wave, like the original, or can
it be a square wave

Also, what kind of frequency/phase accuracy are you looking for with
regard to the difference between the source and the copy?

What else can you tell us? Voltages, power, etc, etc.

You know, the details the devil's in.

JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Its for feeding a digital frequency counter, so it can be converted to a
square wave at any point in the process.

The objective is for a frequency range equal to all the keys on a piano, it
needs to be fairly accurate.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

There may be a much simpler way to solve whatever problem you need the
gadget for.

What's your application?

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like piano tuning... he hits a key, and wants "sustain" (while
he counts it ??)

He'd be better off starting a high speed counter when both amplitude
and "zero-crossing" conditions are and measure period. Then invert to
get frequency.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:18:07 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

Sounds like piano tuning... he hits a key, and wants "sustain" (while
he counts it ??)

He'd be better off starting a high speed counter when both amplitude
and "zero-crossing" conditions are and measure period. Then invert to
get frequency.

...Jim Thompson

Make that [and "zero-crossing" conditions are _met_]

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

You've got part of it, the piano in question is electronic with PWM note
generation so selecting church organ voice, while giving a sustained note -
gives a DFC reading of about 12kHz for any note. To solve that problem a mic
is to be used instead of connecting to the output jack, I want to measure
the frequencies that different instrument voices assign to the keys - church
organ is the only voice that has sustain.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

A PLL with a really low offset, linear phase detector a is a good
approximation--when the signal goes away, the loop essentially opens
without any big transient. A normal T/H on the VCO control voltage
would be a nice extra touch.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

news:14b3f59r96io1hnj8bmets5hnhs09tu0b3@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

I'm not familiar with PWM note generation.

How does it work?

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:59:36 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Class-D or similar. I'm surprised the "carrier" is only 12kHz...
seems low.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:55:49 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

news:9n24f5tikm8h0aaq6m04sgf58b2mdfkagf@4ax .com...

wrote:

[...]

Well, according to this page

http://www.electricdruid.net/index.p...e=info.hammond

the highest generated harmonic on a Hammond is 5924.62Hz so, in
theory, it's enough.

...Jim Thompson

That's certainly pushing Shannon to the test ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 19:12:05 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:59:36 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

[snip]
I'm not familiar with PWM note generation.

How does it work?

JF

Class-D or similar. I'm surprised the "carrier" is only 12kHz...
seems low.

Well, according to this page

http://www.electricdruid.net/index.p...e=info.hammond

the highest generated harmonic on a Hammond is 5924.62Hz so, in
theory, it's enough.

...Jim Thompson

That's certainly pushing Shannon to the test ;-)

Hehe. Yeah.

On the other hand, maybe that particular organ doesn't produce the
same harmonics or maybe they figured no one would notice the upper
harmonic missing on notes that high up the scale.

...Jim Thompson

Doesn't it equate, church goers == old farts ?:-)

I've haven't been able to hear a flyback for many a year... maybe as
far back as my late 40's.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

I'm surprised; I would have thought all of the non-percussion
instruments would have sustain.

Just as an aside, for _any_ of the voices, determining the frequency of
a single note will yield the frequency of all the rest since the octave
is equally tempered and the difference between neighboring notes goes as
the 12th root of 2.

Assuming that your mic can integrate out the 12kHz transitions and yield
a harmonic and overtone-free fundamental, what I'd do would be to detect
sequential zero crossings of the signal, square them up with a
comparator, and use the time between the edges to allow a counter chain
to accumulate high frequency clocks (the frequency of the clock chosen
to force the regenerated signal (the "copy") to yield the accuracy you
need) then, at the end of that time, to latch that value and send the
output of the latch to the broadside load inputs of the counter chain.

Simultaneously, the counter chain's count direction will be changed,
making it a down counter, and when it gets to zero it'll clock a dflop
wired as a divide-by-two, and will also reload the value stored in the
latch into the counter, starting the cycle anew.

The net result will be that the output frequency of the divide-by-two
will mimic the output frequency of the synthesizer.

JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Its a pretty old Casio, only 4 note polyphonic IIRC.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

I was hoping for something pretty minimalist - its a sort of one hit project
that once its given me the info I want, its likely to get robbed of parts
for later projects.

Many years ago I wrote a program in basic to sequence every possible
combination of lottery numbers and identify all the bell curve numbers, the
program took a week and a day to examine each of the 14M possible
combinations and terminate on a 12MHz 286. it was only used once to give me
the range of numbers I wanted.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:53:26 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

[...]

Well, you're going to need, as a minimum, something which you can use to
measure the period of the waveform and then read it out and take its
reciprocal.

That could be something as simple as a comparator, a dflop, an RS
flip-flop, a clock source, and a counter feeding some LEDs

Just for grins, let's say the highest frequency you can get out of the
organ is 3520 Hz (A7) and you want to measure the frequency to +/- 1%.

In order to do that you'll need a clock running 100 times faster, which
is 352000 Hz., and something to accumulate 100 clock cycles during one
3520 Hz. cycle; an 8 bit binary up counter.

So what you'd do would be to manually reset the counter, have the first
rising edge of the squared-up organ signal enable the counter, and the
next rising edge disable it forever.

Then you'd get the contents of the counter by reading the LEDs, and the
frequency of the organ signal by multiplying the counter's contents by
284.0909µs and taking the reciprocal of the product.

One thing to be aware of is that as the frequency of the organ signal
decreases, either the length of the counter will have to increase or the
frequency of the clock decrease in order to prevent overflow.

Finally, it could get tricky trying to catch the first real rising edge
of the organ signal, so what I'd do would be to insert a small (10ms?)
delay from the whatever the rising thing out of mic was and, when it
timed out, use the next 2 rising edges to gate the counter,

JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:42:39 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Have you tried looking up the model number?

Just for fun I downloaded all the casio manuals - none of the 3 or 4 models
that have fallen into my possession over the years was among them.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:42:39 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:56:35 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

news
wrote:

[...]

Can't I just make a PLL lock on to the frequency and stay put after the note
has decayed, then measure the frequency with a digital frequency counter?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

A PLL that doesn't drift once it loses reference ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message news

wrote:

[...]

It only needs to stay put for just over a second to cover the gate time of
the counter.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

What Jim said.