Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Schematic posting formats

Aside from posting in GIF format, is there any preferred format for posting
editable schematics? I've been using Eagle 5 professional from cadsoft usa.
There is a freeware version with some limitations but might be worth a look.
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm
Nice thing is that any libraries used are incorporated into the schematic
file. Posting an Eagle schematic by itself should open without any support
files.
Any thoughts? I would propose that any schematics posted in a proprietary
format should be accompanied by either a PDF or GIF export.
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In article ,
"Oppie" wrote:

Any thoughts? I would propose that any schematics posted in a proprietary
format should be accompanied by either a PDF or GIF export.

GIF or PDF should be viewable by 99.999% of this group. Why
bother posting a proprietary format?

--
Fred Lotte

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Fred Lotte" wrote in message
In article ,
"Oppie" wrote:

Any thoughts? I would propose that any schematics posted in a proprietary
format should be accompanied by either a PDF or GIF export.

GIF or PDF should be viewable by 99.999% of this group. Why
bother posting a proprietary format?

GIF or PDF are great to illustrate a concept. I was just wondering if it was
worth using a popular schematic capture format...
Probably not since there are so many incompatible forms out there.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Oppie" wrote in message
GIF or PDF are great to illustrate a concept. I was just wondering if it was
worth using a popular schematic capture format...
Probably not since there are so many incompatible forms out there.

LTspice is popular since it's freely available and the netlist format is
ASCII.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

Aside from posting in GIF format, is there any preferred format for posting
editable schematics?

Editable. GIF's hardly going to readily editable.

Schematics ? Well, Gerber would be great for PCBs but I can't think of a
universal format for schematics.

Netlist ?

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

"Fred Lotte" wrote in message
"Oppie" wrote:

Any thoughts? I would propose that any schematics posted in a proprietary
format should be accompanied by either a PDF or GIF export.

GIF or PDF should be viewable by 99.999% of this group. Why
bother posting a proprietary format?

GIF or PDF are great to illustrate a concept. I was just wondering if it was
worth using a popular schematic capture format...
Probably not since there are so many incompatible forms out there.

That's exactly the problem. EDIF never did take off.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Joel Koltner wrote:

"Oppie" wrote

GIF or PDF are great to illustrate a concept. I was just wondering if it was
worth using a popular schematic capture format...
Probably not since there are so many incompatible forms out there.

LTspice is popular since it's freely available and the netlist format is
ASCII.

How does it deal with custom ( i.e. non-LTspice ) parts ?

I have to say I would be great if there was a schematic version of Gerber so to
speak.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 11 May 2009 09:22:08 -0400, "Oppie"
wrote:

Aside from posting in GIF format, is there any preferred format for posting
editable schematics? I've been using Eagle 5 professional from cadsoft usa.
There is a freeware version with some limitations but might be worth a look.
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm
Nice thing is that any libraries used are incorporated into the schematic
file. Posting an Eagle schematic by itself should open without any support
files.
Any thoughts? I would propose that any schematics posted in a proprietary
format should be accompanied by either a PDF or GIF export.
Oppie

That might be of some use if one were collaborating on a design with a
colleague, for instance. In that case you'd probably be using Email
so no advantage - UNLESS "everybody" happens to be using Eagle . . .

If one is not collaborating, and Eagle isn't universal, there seems to
be no advantage to double posting.

I guess the real question is how many people on Usenet schematics are
also using Eagle?

For me . . . I enjoy seeing what others design, but never (so far) use
their designs.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Aside from posting in GIF format, is there any preferred format for posting
editable schematics? I've been using Eagle 5 professional from cadsoft usa.
There is a freeware version with some limitations but might be worth a look.
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm
Nice thing is that any libraries used are incorporated into the schematic
file. Posting an Eagle schematic by itself should open without any support
files.
Any thoughts? I would propose that any schematics posted in a proprietary
format should be accompanied by either a PDF or GIF export.
Oppie

The LT Spice ascii netlist is popular, and can alos be posted on
text-only groups. It's as close to a universal schematic format as it
gets.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:24:33 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

I have to say I would be great if there was a schematic version of Gerber so to
speak.

---
It would take a lot more than that!

JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Joel Koltner wrote:

"Oppie" wrote

GIF or PDF are great to illustrate a concept. I was just wondering if it was
worth using a popular schematic capture format...
Probably not since there are so many incompatible forms out there.

LTspice is popular since it's freely available and the netlist format is
ASCII.

How does it deal with custom ( i.e. non-LTspice ) parts ?

I have to say I would be great if there was a schematic version of Gerber so to
speak.

Graham

So, since there isn't does that mean that you are not great?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Eeyore wrote:
I have to say I would be great if there was a schematic version of
Gerber so to speak.

Archimedes' Lever replied:
So, since there isn't does that mean that you are not great?

No, since there isn't one, he can be either great or not great. Only
if there was one and he wasn't great would his statement not hold.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 12 May 2009 20:53:06 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
I have to say I would be great if there was a schematic version of
Gerber so to speak.

Archimedes' Lever replied:
So, since there isn't does that mean that you are not great?

No, since there isn't one, he can be either great or not great. Only
if there was one and he wasn't great would his statement not hold.

True. Unless the meaning of "if there was" considered the result as a
binary entity, either great or not great. Since his remark makes no
complete qualification, you are correct. But since I was merely making a
joke, it was as if only a binary outcome was available.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Eeyore wrote:

How does it deal with custom ( i.e. non-LTspice ) parts ?

I have to say I would be great if there was a schematic version of Gerber so to
speak.

You will never be great outside of your head, so don't let it worry
you.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Eeyore wrote:
I have to say I would be great if there was a schematic version of
Gerber so to speak.

Archimedes' Lever replied:
So, since there isn't does that mean that you are not great?

No, since there isn't one, he can be either great or not great. Only
if there was one and he wasn't great would his statement not hold.

True. Unless the meaning of "if there was" considered the result as a
binary entity, either great or not great. Since his remark makes no
complete qualification, you are correct. But since I was merely making a
joke, it was as if only a binary outcome was available.

You are clearly the smartest person here and now should seek your next
level.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:55:59 -0400, "Charles"
wrote:

.. .

Eeyore wrote:
I have to say I would be great if there was a schematic version of
Gerber so to speak.

Archimedes' Lever replied:
So, since there isn't does that mean that you are not great?

No, since there isn't one, he can be either great or not great. Only
if there was one and he wasn't great would his statement not hold.

True. Unless the meaning of "if there was" considered the result as a
binary entity, either great or not great. Since his remark makes no
complete qualification, you are correct. But since I was merely making a
joke, it was as if only a binary outcome was available.

You are clearly the smartest person here and now should seek your next
level.

"if there was" kind of is a binary outcome, or at least infers one, so he
did qualify it.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Fred Abse wrote:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:24:33 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

How does it deal with custom ( i.e. non-LTspice ) parts ?

It reads PSpice lib files no problem.

Spice3 models are pretty ubiquitous, from most major manufacturers. They
run no problem.

The manual details how to create your own custom symbols.

LTSpice is probably the least "proprietary" Spice around. It won't save
you from yourself, bu neither will any other simulator.

I'm surprised you didn't know all that.

Well, I took a look at it once and didn't find it intuitive to use.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:22:18 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2009 02:14:39 -0700, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 19:48:20 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

Well, I took a look at it once and didn't find it intuitive to use.

Draw the circuit, plug in the values and crank out the results. How much
more intuitive can you get?

You've stated broad goals that apply to any simulator regardless of
how intuitive the process in getting there is.

I guess you are one of the parasitic effects then, eh? Hahahaha!

Yeah, there is a lot missing with his claim.

It is a Chevette, not a Monte Carlo.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

flipper wrote:

Fred Abse wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 19:48:20 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

Well, I took a look at it once and didn't find it intuitive to use.

Draw the circuit, plug in the values and crank out the results. How much
more intuitive can you get?

You've stated broad goals that apply to any simulator regardless of
how intuitive the process in getting there is.

Yes quite.

Graham

Req: Need schematic or source to get a schematic for a Bryant 588 gaspack Home Repair 0 October 17th 06 01:16 AM
DIY show formats foggytown Woodworking 5 October 20th 05 05:25 AM
Posting Top Caesar Romano Home Repair 93 July 25th 05 02:52 AM
Time measurement formats Don. Electronics 1 June 3rd 05 05:03 PM
Top posting is best Bob Woodworking 58 March 11th 05 07:57 AM