Electronics (alt.electronics)

Don.

Default Time measurement formats

Many years ago (1975)I was working with a physcist doing chemical
research. We used a time format that measured time from the begining of
the year? experiment? . (Obviously from all the "?"s I can't remember.)
But it was a long number that contained about 12 digits. (more memory loss)

From that confused description above can anyone tell me the name of
that format. I can't find anything with Google that looks anything like it.

Thanks..

Rich Grise

On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:55:38 -0700, Don. wrote:

Many years ago (1975)I was working with a physcist doing chemical
research. We used a time format that measured time from the begining of
the year? experiment? . (Obviously from all the "?"s I can't remember.)
But it was a long number that contained about 12 digits. (more memory loss)

From that confused description above can anyone tell me the name of
that format. I can't find anything with Google that looks anything like it.

It could be just about anything. One common format used in spreadsheets
is "floating point", which isn't really floating point - it has an integer
part for year, month, and day, and a fractional part, which is the portion
of the day from 0000 hours, expressed as a decimal fraction. You can
get as fine of precision as you want, although 1 second is approximately
0.000015740_740_ of a day (1/86400), where the '740' repeats.

If you want, say, microseconds resolution, then you might just want to
keep a count of microseconds from T0, and resolve it into
YYYYMMDDHHMMSSMMMUUU format in software.

Good Luck!
Rich