Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Off to start of a bad weekend...

Off to start of a bad weekend...

(1) Go to a picnic out in the boonies with old family friends. When I
try to start-up the car... starter relay clatter-clatter-clatter.
Fortunately I flagged down a friend who gave me a jump start (I had 6
gauge cables in the trunk ;-)

(2) Go out this morning and get replacement battery. On the way home,
stop at community mailbox, switcher I ordered for TV distribution wall
wart replacement is jammed in mailbox. (Opening from postman's side
is larger than customer side.) Have to rip box apart with two fingers
to get it out :-(

(3) Open garage door, discover interior sheet metal at "J-hook"
connection is ripped. Surf web for "U" or "hat" channel
reinforcement, come up totally blank. Door "web" is 5/8" thick,
tapering to 3/4" at door. Any and all "patch" suggestions welcome!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Attached Thumbnails
Off to start of a bad weekend...-goingpostal-jpg  Off to start of a bad weekend...-garagedoorproblem-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Off to start of a bad weekend...

(1) Go to a picnic out in the boonies with old family friends. When I
try to start-up the car... starter relay clatter-clatter-clatter.
Fortunately I flagged down a friend who gave me a jump start (I had 6
gauge cables in the trunk ;-)

(2) Go out this morning and get replacement battery. On the way home,
stop at community mailbox, switcher I ordered for TV distribution wall
wart replacement is jammed in mailbox. (Opening from postman's side
is larger than customer side.) Have to rip box apart with two fingers
to get it out :-(

(3) Open garage door, discover interior sheet metal at "J-hook"
connection is ripped. Surf web for "U" or "hat" channel
reinforcement, come up totally blank. Door "web" is 5/8" thick,
tapering to 3/4" at door. Any and all "patch" suggestions welcome!

I'm finding that I just have less time to do these DIY oddballs (much as I
do love a challenge). I'd just call a garage door service and let them deal
with it. They've likely seen this type of damage before and will either have
a patch plate for it or replace the door section.

Wound up driving one hour up to daughter's on Saturday night. Wife and I had
just settled in for the night when we get a call from ADT that there was a
break-in at our Daughter's and they were unable to reach any of the contacts
higher on the list. Told them to call the police. Shortly we then got in
touch with the local town police. They said that their officer was talking
to the homeowner and that there was an open cellar door. Daughter doesn't
have a cellar door and nobody was home to answer our calls. Didn't make
sense but the police were adamant that they were at the right house... so we
drove very fast to her house. Nobody was home and the alarm was still
sounding when we arrived. Obviously the police were not here (as confirmed
by neighbors). Found the interior porch door slightly ajar but outside
screen was intact and still locked. Nothing was out of place. Daughter and
fiancée were out with friends for the evening. Daughter's cell was on
vibrate in her checked coat Arrggh!. Glad all turned out well but we got
home past 1:30 in the morning and were pretty sleep deprived Sunday. Told
daughter that if the police charge for a false alarm, to tell them to bug
off. What dolts - police never even confirmed ID of the person they spoke
to. We know ADT was in the right since they gave us the correct address -
there are a north and south ends of the street.

Oppie
White Plains, NY