Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Anyone still using FAX?

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:21:24 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

I've researched it a bit. The cheapest way to receive (only) faxes
seems to be to subscribe to a VOIP service that offers fax-to-email as
an option. I forget the cost, but it's quite low (much cheaper than a
dedicated phone line). You may or may not be able to port your current
number, if that's important to you.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

When we got Verizon FiOS a few years ago, we dropped the old modem line that
we used for the fax. Sales told us that a distinctive ring on a single
incoming phone line (dialed with a separate phone number) would be fine for
fax. Problem we found was that there were very few fax machines that could
decode a distinctive ring and add-on fax/phone management boxes were as
expensive as a fax...
Consequently, we canned the fax at home and I use the fax from my office
when required. I was looking at a few software based fax programs but
haven't settled on any yet. I have a flatbed scanner that I use for
documents and can be used with a fax program; just tedious for multi sheet
documents. Nothing beats a good scanner with automatic document feeder if
you have the money for it...

We had a demo of a fax program and never bought it. Worked OK though. It was
not set to run automatically. We ran the fax program when we had to send
something of if someone called and told us to expect a fax. On the odd
occasion when we answered the phone and heard a modem, hang up, start the
fax program and wait for the sending fax to redial.

Regards,
Oppie
20 miles North of NYC where it's snowing

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

We still get purchase orders, and the occasional legal doc, by fax.
Some want them signed and fax'd back. We probably average a few sheets
per day. I did a heap of faxing when I bought the cabin in the
mountains last year, all that real estate junk.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

..
..
JT ..

I have successfully moved one of the largest companies in the country
directly from "overnight document delivery service with a wet signature"
requirements to scanned .pdfs that are "digitally signed" with a scanned
copy of my "wet" signature imbedded into the secure digital signature
routine.

Every Adobe Acrobat Pro from 6.0 on has this feature, to imbed a scanned
signature into their secure digital signing routine and it supposedly is as
acceptable to a legal level equal to a faxed signature.

You might want to move your "customers that demand a faxed PO" into the 19th
century by showing them how much money they can save and at the same time
have limitless copies of the document for all departments that need that
document without having to make copy machine hard copies.

Fax is moving into the same place we store our model 33 teletype machine.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

We still get purchase orders, and the occasional legal doc, by fax.
Some want them signed and fax'd back. We probably average a few sheets
per day. I did a heap of faxing when I bought the cabin in the
mountains last year, all that real estate junk.

John

I can sign a PDF'd PO, scan it, and E-mail it back.

How is faxing more accurate?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:06:07 -0800, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

.
.
JT ..

I have successfully moved one of the largest companies in the country
directly from "overnight document delivery service with a wet signature"
requirements to scanned .pdfs that are "digitally signed" with a scanned
copy of my "wet" signature imbedded into the secure digital signature
routine.

Every Adobe Acrobat Pro from 6.0 on has this feature, to imbed a scanned
signature into their secure digital signing routine and it supposedly is as
acceptable to a legal level equal to a faxed signature.

I've got Acrobat 7.1.0, so I'll look into that.

Presently, for those sending and accepting PDF's, I simply paste an
image of my signature onto the PDF.

Works except for those who screw with the background transparency.

Then I have to physically sign and re-scan :-(

You might want to move your "customers that demand a faxed PO" into the 19th
century by showing them how much money they can save and at the same time
have limitless copies of the document for all departments that need that
document without having to make copy machine hard copies.

Fax is moving into the same place we store our model 33 teletype machine.

Jim

Yep. I'm tempted to just kill the fax line and wait until someone
squawks.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

I get lots of SPAM faxes! No legitimate ones however. I long ago
opened the top fo the fax machine so it won't answer the phone. Then
if someone tells me they are trying to send a fax, I close it.

In my case the fax line isn't costing me anything significant, so I
don't care (we use it for voice outgoing calls, all incoming calls go
to another set of lines.)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

We still get purchase orders, and the occasional legal doc, by fax.
Some want them signed and fax'd back. We probably average a few sheets
per day. I did a heap of faxing when I bought the cabin in the
mountains last year, all that real estate junk.

John

I can sign a PDF'd PO, scan it, and E-mail it back.

How is faxing more accurate?

...Jim Thompson

The Customer IS Always Right.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

We still get purchase orders, and the occasional legal doc, by fax.
Some want them signed and fax'd back. We probably average a few sheets
per day. I did a heap of faxing when I bought the cabin in the
mountains last year, all that real estate junk.

John

I can sign a PDF'd PO, scan it, and E-mail it back.

How is faxing more accurate?

...Jim Thompson

The Customer IS Always Right.

John

Customer Rules:

(1) The Customer IS Always Right.

(2) When the customer is wrong, refer to Rule #1

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

I've got Acrobat 7.1.0, so I'll look into that.

Presently, for those sending and accepting PDF's, I simply paste an
image of my signature onto the PDF.

Works except for those who screw with the background transparency.

Then I have to physically sign and re-scan :-(

Edit, Preferences, Security, New. Modify the parameters of New as you will
and import your scanned signature as a graphic. You can screw around and
combine your photo with your signature in a graphics program, or your
company logo, or however you want the graphic to appear. Give this
signature field a name you can remember (Thompson's Signature ??).

Then right click on the top toolbar and make sure that Tasks is on. One of
the tasks is a pen. Click on the pen and you will be taken through a few
checkboxes to be sure that you want to sign. You will draw a box the size
you want your signature. Then you are taken to a page that lets you set the
reason you are signing the document as well as the selection of the name you
chose above for your signature field.

That's it. Now every time you have to sign something, you click the pen,
draw the box, tell Adobe what the reason for signing is, and bingo.

Jim

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

....do you call getting spam FAXes "successfull?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 01:45:47 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

...do you call getting spam FAXes "successfull?

No matter the path, spam faxes will occur.

But my favorite trick is, since I'm PC-based, is to send them back 100
pages of all-black, except for a small window in the middle declaring,
"Don't send to this number again" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:21:24 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40 days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

I used efax.com when I was in Phoenix. I think at the time
it was free if you did not want a toll free inbound number.
Last time I looked they are up to 14/15 bucks a month now.

For the few times in the last couple of years that I have had to fax
something I use my cell phone. If I need to fax I plug it into the
USB port on my PC and use fax software. Same for incoming. If I cannot
get them to go the non-fax route I tell them to call me before they
fax the document. Then I plug in my phone and have it set for
data answer mode.

The other thing you can try is one of those voice/fax sharing
boxes. The originating fax modem starts the training sequence
so the box can listen and hear the far end fax modem. It then
generates ring on the local fax port. Your fax answers and
the box switches the call over to the fax port. Only issue
I have found with this setup is you need to make sure your
fax is set to answer on the first ring.
Google for voice fax sharing.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

...do you call getting spam FAXes "successfull?

No matter the path, spam faxes will occur.

But my favorite trick is, since I'm PC-based, is to send them back 100
pages of all-black, except for a small window in the middle declaring,
"Don't send to this number again" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I had the impression that ther was a Federal law agains spam FAXes
(one of the CFRs).

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

I had the impression that ther was a Federal law agains spam FAXes
(one of the CFRs).

There is, but it's not enforced.

The FCC/FTC finally got Fax.com with a huge find (several $million),
but the slimey *******s slithered away and reappeared as various
similar companies.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

Whats a fax? I remember when the post used to be delivered by a man on
a pushbike.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

Whats a fax? I remember when the post used to be delivered by a man on
a pushbike.

You should check out e-Fax. Receiving faxes is free. If you want to send
faxes there is a monthly charge.

Good Luck!

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson

Whats a fax? I remember when the post used to be delivered by a man on
a pushbike.

Yep. I remember that, too.

Also the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a
kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse
sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Now they're talking no (USPS) mail delivery on Saturday.

I say sell the USPS to private industry.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:50:05 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]
... the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a
kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse
sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Forgot to mention... this really happened...

My family knew the milkman and his wife quite well, and often attended
Christmas parties, etc, at their house.

At one of the Christmas parties the milkman announced he was divorcing
his wife and marrying a woman on his milk route ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:16:30 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:50:05 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]
... the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a
kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse
sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Forgot to mention... this really happened...

My family knew the milkman and his wife quite well, and often attended
Christmas parties, etc, at their house.

At one of the Christmas parties the milkman announced he was divorcing
his wife and marrying a woman on his milk route ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Would the milkman only come err.. deliver.. on weekdays?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:50:05 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]
... the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a
kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse
sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Forgot to mention... this really happened...

My family knew the milkman and his wife quite well, and often attended
Christmas parties, etc, at their house.

At one of the Christmas parties the milkman announced he was divorcing
his wife and marrying a woman on his milk route ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Would the milkman only come err.. deliver.. on weekdays?

I don't remember now what the schedule was... I'm talking 55 years
ago.

I'm sure he only made certain "inside deliveries" per a schedule ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:50:05 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]
... the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a
kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse
sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Forgot to mention... this really happened...

My family knew the milkman and his wife quite well, and often attended
Christmas parties, etc, at their house.

At one of the Christmas parties the milkman announced he was divorcing
his wife and marrying a woman on his milk route ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Would the milkman only come err.. deliver.. on weekdays?

I don't remember now what the schedule was... I'm talking 55 years
ago.

I'm sure he only made certain "inside deliveries" per a schedule ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Well, sure, he'd have to have a schedule. He'd only have so much milk,
after all.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:50:05 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]
[...]

[snicker:-]

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Also the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a
kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse
sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Our milkman had a real truck, gasoline rather than horses.

He used to come into the kitchen and fill up our fridge.
I left for college in the early 60's. I'm pretty sure he
was doing that at least up until then.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:47:31 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 00:36:19 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

Also the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a
kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse
sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Our milkman had a real truck, gasoline rather than horses.

He used to come into the kitchen and fill up our fridge.
I left for college in the early 60's. I'm pretty sure he
was doing that at least up until then.

Huntington eventually went to trucks, you know, the standard stand up
driver type.

Delivery was SLOWER than by horse :-(

...Jim Thompson

We had home dairy delivery here at the house in NH until about 10 or
12 years ago. Was good, milk, ice-cream (good, they made it
themselves) and other related products. I think there is still one
company (but have not seen their trucks for a couple of years) doing
home deliveries.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

(Hal Murray) wrote:

Also the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a
kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse
sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Our milkman had a real truck, gasoline rather than horses.

He used to come into the kitchen and fill up our fridge.
I left for college in the early 60's. I'm pretty sure he
was doing that at least up until then.

Huntington eventually went to trucks, you know, the standard stand up
driver type.

Delivery was SLOWER than by horse :-(

Possibly because the truck didn't follow him down the street thereby
necessitating he waste time to return and drive it.

Exactly.

...Jim Thompson