Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Oppie[_6_] Oppie[_6_] is offline

Default Anyone still using FAX?

When we got Verizon FiOS a few years ago, we dropped the old modem line that
we used for the fax. Sales told us that a distinctive ring on a single
incoming phone line (dialed with a separate phone number) would be fine for
fax. Problem we found was that there were very few fax machines that could
decode a distinctive ring and add-on fax/phone management boxes were as
expensive as a fax...
Consequently, we canned the fax at home and I use the fax from my office
when required. I was looking at a few software based fax programs but
haven't settled on any yet. I have a flatbed scanner that I use for
documents and can be used with a fax program; just tedious for multi sheet
documents. Nothing beats a good scanner with automatic document feeder if
you have the money for it...

We had a demo of a fax program and never bought it. Worked OK though. It was
not set to run automatically. We ran the fax program when we had to send
something of if someone called and told us to expect a fax. On the odd
occasion when we answered the phone and heard a modem, hang up, start the
fax program and wait for the sending fax to redial.

Regards,
Oppie
20 miles North of NYC where it's snowing

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I'm thinking of dumping my FAX-dedicated phone line.

Haven't received a FAX since October, or sent one in more than 40
days.

Anyone successfully using an on-line faxing service?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food