Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Default Electrolytics question - update

ian field wrote:

Isn't a 64 bit OS to fully utilise a 64 bit architecture

I doubt it in Microsoft's case.

But there was 32 bit DOS and that FLEW.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message

"flipper" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:02:25 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Well..... I never recall DOS crashing !

There's a good reason for that. DOS doesn't 'do' much of anything.

Oh, I remember it crashing and freezing, but it was always because of the
app, not the OS. With Windows the component that crashes most, on my PC,
is
the Explorer shell.

When I used OS/2 it was also the shell (Presentation Manager) that crashed
the most. Jerry Pournelle loved OS/2 but commented on how unstable PM
was.
It crashed a lot less than Windows of the time (either 95 or NT) but it
had
the unfortunate habit of overwriting the MBR with whatever file I was
trying
to save when it crashed.

Come to think of it, pre-95 Windows was very unreliable, but it was only a
DOS shell.

Windows 95/98/ME wasn't very reliable either. Vendors ported their buggy
apps to Windows, and they crashed there even more then they did under DOS.
Win2000 was an improvement, but was ill suited to environments where it was
exposed to a wide variety of hardware and software. Microsoft didn't really
make a stable and versatile OS until XP came out.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure that is strictly true. All of those versions were fine, if they
were just left alone. You have to remember that in those early days of
'home' computing, people weren't as savvy as they are now, and their home
computer was used for little else than word processing and perhaps some
e-mail activity. That is the only expectation that most had, and it's what
MS addressed with those early versions. It allowed simple folk whose only
concept of a computer was something they had seen in the movies, to
interface with what was, after all, a complex item. It simply wasn't
designed to be 'tinkered' with by average users who wanted to start changing
hardware in their machines all the time, or adding software.

Even given those limitations, I still think that most 'proper' applications
that were actually written for those platforms, ran pretty well, and trouble
free for the most part. Over the years, I have run many third party
applications and my son has run every game known to man, largely without
incident, on every version of Windows that there has been (excluding Vista,
so far ... !! )

For sure, XP seems to be the most versatile version that there has been, but
then I think that migrated down from the pro end, and was adapted for the
home market, wasn't it ? There was a need for an OS that could tolerate the
foibles of the 'modern' user, and XP was it.

It must be a terribly difficult balancing act for them to continually
produce and maintain and OS that has the performance and facilities of a jet
airliner, yet 'drives' like a Ford Escort.

Arfa

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

Win2000 was an improvement, but was ill suited to environments
where it was exposed to a wide variety of hardware and software.
Microsoft didn't really make a stable and versatile OS until XP
came out.

I've been running W2K for over seven years, and it has been extremely
stable. I can't remember the last cras. And the few crashes I did have were
Word lockups -- which I also haven't seen in several years.

The consensus is still that W2K is the most-stable version of Windows.

I can't comment as to versatility, but W2K was around for some time, and
drivers for almost everything are available.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Win2000 was an improvement, but was ill suited to environments
where it was exposed to a wide variety of hardware and software.
Microsoft didn't really make a stable and versatile OS until XP
came out.

I've been running W2K for over seven years, and it has been extremely
stable. I can't remember the last cras. And the few crashes I did have
were
Word lockups -- which I also haven't seen in several years.

The consensus is still that W2K is the most-stable version of Windows.

Many people share your experiencences, myself included. And in every case
I've personally seen, those who run it with few or no crashes do so in a
limited and controlled environment. I had a few W2K workstations that I used
for 2 or 3 years that never crashed. It was in a controlled environment, the
hardware never changed, and only limited software was allowed on it.

Back in the SP1 or so era, I found W2K to be unusable on a few of my boxes
because of the lack of drivers for some of my hardware. Specifically, I had
ATI Rage Fury cards in my box, and ATI was unable to provide stable drivers
for these cards. I had to abanodon it and go back to Win98 on those boxes.
Other compability issues prevented me from using Win2K until later service
packs came out.

Take it outside of the rather small hardware and software box that Microsoft
designed it for, and you have crash city.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 23:30:04 -0000, William Sommerwerck wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I think the capacitors have sharted ...

Is that a portmanteau word? Perhaps a mixture of "shorted" and

"farted"...

You obviously haven't smelled one after its vented.

Oh, yes I have. Not just vented, but exploded...

8 of them today in fact, in PC power supplies. Ever connected to another phase instead of neutral? And no it wasn't me. But he's gonna pay for it.

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

news
wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I think the capacitors have sharted ...

Is that a portmanteau word? Perhaps a mixture of "shorted" and

"farted"...

You obviously haven't smelled one after its vented.

Oh, yes I have. Not just vented, but exploded...

8 of them today in fact, in PC power supplies. Ever connected to another
phase instead of neutral? And no it wasn't me. But he's gonna pay for
it.

Yet another of PHucker's fantasies!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

flipper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Mainly because things generally improve over time,

but
then I think that migrated down from the pro end, and was adapted for the
home market, wasn't it ? There was a need for an OS that could tolerate the
foibles of the 'modern' user, and XP was it.

As is usually the case, it's not that simple and Windows NT, the
'family' XP is a sibling of, predates Windows 95.

People act as if Microsoft always 'ran everything' but they started
off as a hole in the wall group writing software for other people,
like IBM (DOS. OS/2, etc) and Apple (Word, Office, etc) They also had
the foresight to retain rights to what they wrote.

Microsoft started under a different business name, building
electronic vehicle counters that were used to audit the traffic on a
road. Then they wrote one of the first BASIC interpeters for the early
kit computers under their new Microsoft name.

Their first big break was keeping rights to DOS on non IBM machines,
of which there weren't any... for about 15 minutes till the clones
came out. Oops (for IBM). Actually, IBM didn't really care all that
much about DOS, and OS/2 for that matter, as they considered it more
of a necessary evil to sell hardware than a money maker in it's own
right. It was the clones they hated.

But, back to the 'Windows' O.S., they were for different purposes. As
I mentioned, MS retained rights to Office on 'non apple' products and
I suppose Apple figured why not? since that's all it would run on.
'Windows' (for DOS) was originally developed so that Office could run
on x86 computers. Oops (for Apple).

But, back at the IBM barn, MS was working on OS/2 when Windows 3.0
turned out to be an actual 'hit' (meaning they finally had a version
that worked) so MS wanted to incorporate more of the Windows API into
what was then called "NT OS/2" but IBM had different ideas so they
split and MS's work went on to be Windows NT. (IBM would later change
directions and advertise that OS/2 can run Windows apps too but why
not get 'the real thing'?)

DOS based Windows was to simply 'run programs' (and multimedia) while
NT was to be a multi-user, fully pre-emptive multitasking system
portable across multiple platforms while being both OS/2 and POSIX
complaint... as well as, of course, Windows (API). The holy grail in
those days was "transportability" and that's where HAL, the "Hardware
Abstraction Layer," comes from. It sits between the hardware and
everything else so you need only rewrite the rather small HAL and the
rest is none the wiser, or so the theory went. DOS Windows has no such
need because it's only job is to run on x86 machines.

In some ways DOS Windows was functionally 'ahead' of NT in that it
(GUI) was first out of the chute and got the consumer oriented
'multimedia' stuff. NT first got the Windows 3.x GUI and then, after
Windows 95, that GUI migrated to NT but, for a while, people had a
kind of "Back to the Future" experience going from their nifty looking
Windows 95 home computer to the office 'super duper OS' NT system with
the 'old fashioned' Windows 3.x GUI.

NT was the 'business' OS, where multi-user and multitasking was
needed, and didn't get the full multimedia treatment till XP.

This, of course, isn't everything but it hit on a few of the major
points.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message

Back in the SP1 or so era, I found W2K to be unusable on a few of my boxes
because of the lack of drivers for some of my hardware. Specifically, I
had ATI Rage Fury cards in my box, and ATI was unable to provide stable
drivers for these cards. I had to abanodon it and go back to Win98 on
those boxes. Other compability issues prevented me from using Win2K until
later service packs came out.

But that pretty much applies to any OS, and it is not the fault of the OS.
Any OS is only as stable as the weakest driver. On this 64 bit Vista
machine, the only issue I have ever had in 1 year's use was with a buggy ATI
2600 driver. Yep, ATI again! I would get the "The atimmx (whatever it is
called) driver has stopped responding...restarting the driver" message at
random times. Sometimes it would recover, sometimes the machine would blue
screen.

This was purely a driver problem. Once I installed a different version of
the driver (9 months ago), no more problems. Vista is now as solid as 2000
or XP ever was. This machine gets pretty hard use - dual monitors,
multiple Virtual PC VMs (Server 2003, XP and Vista Business) running for
weeks at a time for my development job, plus the usual Internet/Itunes/Media
Player/MP3s/camera/pictures home use.

Most OS instability can be traced to either bad drivers or flaky hardware
(usually RAM, but can also be power supply or hard drive - I have seen all 3
cause random reboots). Particularly with the NT/2000/XP/Vista line. All
of these have been very stable for me, given solid hardware.

BTW, what does any of this have to do with Electrolytics? Topic Drift
Much? :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:26:58 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Win2000 was an improvement, but was ill suited to environments
where it was exposed to a wide variety of hardware and software.
Microsoft didn't really make a stable and versatile OS until XP
came out.

I've been running W2K for over seven years, and it has been extremely
stable. I can't remember the last cras. And the few crashes I did have were
Word lockups -- which I also haven't seen in several years.

The consensus is still that W2K is the most-stable version of Windows.

I can't comment as to versatility, but W2K was around for some time, and
drivers for almost everything are available.

Windows 2000 was the final release of Windows NT. Windows NT was very
stable, depending on the platform it was run on. NT server was so stable
that all the banks got rid of OS/2 and adopted Windows, thanks to NT
server, and subsequently, W2k. OS/2 was run at nearly EVERY bank in the
entire world at that time.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:14:24 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

Specifically, I had
ATI Rage Fury cards in my box, and ATI was unable to provide stable drivers
for these cards. I had to abanodon it and go back to Win98 on those boxes.

It would have been much simpler to change the video card.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

You're an idiot. Don't give that 'It's just a sig' horse**** either.

Your stats, as well as your stat source are as retarded as you are.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"ian field" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I think the capacitors have sharted ...

Is that a portmanteau word? Perhaps a mixture of "shorted" and

"farted"...

You obviously haven't smelled one after its vented.

Oh, yes I have. Not just vented, but exploded...

8 of them today in fact, in PC power supplies. Ever connected to another phase instead of neutral? And no it wasn't me. But he's gonna pay for it.

You're a goddamned idiot if you are in a setting where AC power lines
get toyed with.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:12:19 -0500, "Bob Campbell" wrote:

But that pretty much applies to any OS,

That ATI hardware sucks on all of them? Yes... I agree 100%.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:12:19 -0500, "Bob Campbell" wrote:

But that pretty much applies to any OS,

That ATI hardware sucks on all of them? Yes... I agree 100%.

No, the hardware is fine. The drivers have issues sometimes.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
DOS simply loads TSRs, it doesn't 'manage' them.

Then what gives each program time on the CPU?

DOS is single-tasking. In DOS, there is only ever one program at a time
executing. The currently executing program "owns" the machine. There is
no "executive", there is no time slicing of CPU time. TSRs simply hook
into the keyboard interrupt, and when a certain key combination is pressed,
DOS passes control to the TSR. When the TSR "exits" by the user pressing
ESC or whatever, control passes back to DOS. However, the TSR remains in
memory. Hence TSR - Terminate and Stay Resident. When the key combo is
pressed again, the TSR gets control.

Again, there is no "executive" here. DOS passed control to the TSR, and
the TSR passes control back to DOS. It *looks* like multi tasking thru
clever programming, but it really isn't. Whatever you were doing before is
suspended while the TSR is in control, and the TSR is suspended when it
hands control back to DOS.

There is nothing "giving each program time on the CPU" but the running
programs themselves. If the TSR crashes, it will never return control to
DOS. If another application crashes, pressing the TSR key combo will have
no effect.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:44:39 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years. I suppose
that means smoking is good for dental health.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:25:29 -0500, "Bob Campbell" wrote:

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:12:19 -0500, "Bob Campbell" wrote:

But that pretty much applies to any OS,

That ATI hardware sucks on all of them? Yes... I agree 100%.

No, the hardware is fine. The drivers have issues sometimes.

The drivers are written by the hardware makers. D U H !

ATI sucks. Their driver support, particularly for platforms other than
windows is very poor, or at least was for years. If it is better now, it
is only because they wised up a bit.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:19:42 -0500, "Bob Campbell" wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
DOS simply loads TSRs, it doesn't 'manage' them.

Then what gives each program time on the CPU?

DOS is single-tasking. In DOS, there is only ever one program at a time
executing. The currently executing program "owns" the machine. There is
no "executive", there is no time slicing of CPU time.

I fell in love with DesqViewX. It was among the first for the early
x86 architectures to slice things up well.

Snipped other good multitasking info.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years. I suppose
that means smoking is good for dental health.

John

Bwuahahahah!

Cannabis is a better brand. Tobacco sucks/kills.

Cannabis is healthy.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years. I suppose
that means smoking is good for dental health.

John

I haven't lost 6.5 teeth in my entire (considerable) adult life, let alone
the last 10 years. I don't think that I could come up with anyone in my
extended family or friends, who has lost that many either. Where did this
little gem of a 'fact' come from - "Dentistry for Beginners", published
1802, maybe ?

Arfa

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
No, the hardware is fine. The drivers have issues sometimes.

The drivers are written by the hardware makers. D U H !

But that doesn't mean the hardware is bad. DUH! Hardware is different
from software.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:19:42 -0500, "Bob Campbell" wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
DOS simply loads TSRs, it doesn't 'manage' them.

Then what gives each program time on the CPU?

DOS is single-tasking. In DOS, there is only ever one program at a time
executing. The currently executing program "owns" the machine. There
is
no "executive", there is no time slicing of CPU time.

I fell in love with DesqViewX. It was among the first for the early
x86 architectures to slice things up well.

Yeah, I ran DesqView and DV 386 (not X) for years. I actually got X but
never used it.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

John Larkin wrote:

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years.

Where did you get that figure from ? Or was it a joke ?

I've only lost 2 'wisdom teeth' (intentionally extracted) and one other that
was extracted because it was causing jaw crowding.

I've had root canal work one one molar where it hadn't been filled carefully
enough and caused decay. That's got a crown. And my 2 front teeth were made
'wonky' by aforementioned crowding and these have been crowned now too.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years. I suppose
that means smoking is good for dental health.

John

Bwuahahahah!

Cannabis is a better brand. Tobacco sucks/kills.

Cannabis is healthy.

There's no telling what dealers mix into resin to make up the weight - I
usually have an allergic reaction.

The last time I tried weed that was supposedly skunk it had hardly any
effect, I just don't bother anymore.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I think the capacitors have sharted ...

Is that a portmanteau word? Perhaps a mixture of "shorted" and
"farted"...

You obviously haven't smelled one after its vented.

Oh, yes I have. Not just vented, but exploded...

8 of them today in fact, in PC power supplies. Ever connected to another
phase instead of neutral? And no it wasn't me. But he's gonna pay for
it.

You're a goddamned idiot if you are in a setting where AC power lines
get toyed with.

He's just making up stories, the UK has strict regulations on 3-ph wiring to
prevent a single phase appliance being exposed to more than one phase.

You have to watch out though, some of PHucker's fairy tales are vaguely
plausible!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years. I suppose
that means smoking is good for dental health.

John

I haven't lost 6.5 teeth in my entire (considerable) adult life, let alone
the last 10 years. I don't think that I could come up with anyone in my
extended family or friends, who has lost that many either. Where did this
little gem of a 'fact' come from - "Dentistry for Beginners", published
1802, maybe ?

Arfa

I just did the math. 20 baby teeth, 32 adult teeth, 80 year lifespan.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

He's just making up stories, the UK has strict regulations on 3-ph wiring
prevent a single phase appliance being exposed to more than one phase.

You have to watch out though, some of PHucker's fairy tales are vaguely
plausible!

Regulations don't stop accidents or idiots. My neighbor down the road had
her appliances fried because of a power co. employee screwup. They happily
replaced her appliances and everyone was very glad she didn't get
electrocuted or had her house burn down. Stuff happens.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

I just did the math. 20 baby teeth, 32 adult teeth, 80 year lifespan.

Losing your adult teeth is neither universal nor inevitable. I've lost only
one of them -- due to a crack likely caused by a genetic defect. I expect to
have all the rest when I die.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I think the capacitors have sharted ...

Is that a portmanteau word? Perhaps a mixture of "shorted" and
"farted"...

You obviously haven't smelled one after its vented.

Oh, yes I have. Not just vented, but exploded...

8 of them today in fact, in PC power supplies. Ever connected to another
phase instead of neutral? And no it wasn't me. But he's gonna pay for
it.

You're a goddamned idiot if you are in a setting where AC power lines
get toyed with.

He's just making up stories, the UK has strict regulations on 3-ph wiring to
prevent a single phase appliance being exposed to more than one phase.

You have to watch out though, some of PHucker's fairy tales are vaguely
plausible!

You mena that he might really have one parrot?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years. I suppose
that means smoking is good for dental health.

John

I haven't lost 6.5 teeth in my entire (considerable) adult life, let alone
the last 10 years. I don't think that I could come up with anyone in my
extended family or friends, who has lost that many either. Where did this
little gem of a 'fact' come from - "Dentistry for Beginners", published
1802, maybe ?

Arfa

I just did the math. 20 baby teeth, 32 adult teeth, 80 year lifespan.

John

Been doing MTBF calculations recently?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

[...]

Apparently there are witnesses to the parrot breeding operation.

With some breeds selling for up to £4,500 I wonder how much he bothers
telling the tax man.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years. I suppose
that means smoking is good for dental health.

John

I haven't lost 6.5 teeth in my entire (considerable) adult life, let alone
the last 10 years. I don't think that I could come up with anyone in my
extended family or friends, who has lost that many either. Where did this
little gem of a 'fact' come from - "Dentistry for Beginners", published
1802, maybe ?

Arfa

I just did the math. 20 baby teeth, 32 adult teeth, 80 year lifespan.

John

Been doing MTBF calculations recently?

Actually, yes. Some of our customers insist on having the silly
numbers. Our actual field failure rates are generally several times
better than MIL-HBK or Bellcore calculated values. Unless there's a
real problem, in which case it's worse until we fix it.

You might as weigh it and apply a FITS/gram factor.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:40:34 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I just did the math. 20 baby teeth, 32 adult teeth, 80 year lifespan.

Losing your adult teeth is neither universal nor inevitable. I've lost only
one of them -- due to a crack likely caused by a genetic defect. I expect to
have all the rest when I die.

I lost four wisdom teeth, all at once.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

I just did the math. 20 baby teeth, 32 adult teeth, 80 year lifespan.

Losing your adult teeth is neither universal nor inevitable. I've lost
only one of them -- due to a crack likely caused by a genetic defect.
I expect to have all the rest when I die.

I lost four wisdom teeth, all at once.

I had all four of mine extracted in 1970. But the deliberate extraction of
commonly impacted teeth is not a "loss".

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I just did the math. 20 baby teeth, 32 adult teeth, 80 year lifespan.

Losing your adult teeth is neither universal nor inevitable. I've lost
only one of them -- due to a crack likely caused by a genetic defect.
I expect to have all the rest when I die.

I lost four wisdom teeth, all at once.

I had all four of mine extracted in 1970. But the deliberate extraction of
commonly impacted teeth is not a "loss".

I likewise had all of my wisdom teeth removed in ~1980. And it was no loss
.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker" wrote:

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

But the average person loses about 6.5 teeth every 10 years. I suppose
that means smoking is good for dental health.

John

I haven't lost 6.5 teeth in my entire (considerable) adult life, let alone
the last 10 years. I don't think that I could come up with anyone in my
extended family or friends, who has lost that many either. Where did this
little gem of a 'fact' come from - "Dentistry for Beginners", published
1802, maybe ?

Arfa

I just did the math. 20 baby teeth, 32 adult teeth, 80 year lifespan.

I think my sig made the assumption that people with baby teeth don't smoke yet.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

"ian field" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I think the capacitors have sharted ...

Is that a portmanteau word? Perhaps a mixture of "shorted" and
"farted"...

You obviously haven't smelled one after its vented.

Oh, yes I have. Not just vented, but exploded...

8 of them today in fact, in PC power supplies. Ever connected to another phase instead of neutral? And no it wasn't me. But he's gonna pay for it.

You're a goddamned idiot if you are in a setting where AC power lines
get toyed with.

The building I work in is being extended and refurbished (involving rewiring). What would you suggest I do? Apart form insist they stop using Irish electricians?

"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Doctor Who
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:36:23 -0000, Zootal wrote:

He's just making up stories, the UK has strict regulations on 3-ph wiring
prevent a single phase appliance being exposed to more than one phase.

So because there is a regulation, this magically stops a clumsy/stupid/ignorant/sleepy electrician from mixing up the British and EEC wiring colours and connecting the wrong things to the load? We got two phases connected to the load instead of phase and neutral. A few surge protector plugs were no longer plug shaped, and were not the original colour.

You have to watch out though, some of PHucker's fairy tales are vaguely
plausible!

Regulations don't stop accidents or idiots. My neighbor down the road had
her appliances fried because of a power co. employee screwup. They happily
replaced her appliances and everyone was very glad she didn't get
electrocuted or had her house burn down. Stuff happens.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
news On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:34:17 -0000, "Peter Hucker"

wrote:

"ian field" wrote in message

[...]

Parrot breeding? I figured he was a pervert.

He's as bad as Phil, and his sheep.

With some breeds selling for up to £4,500 I wonder how much he bothers
telling the tax man.

Report him and find out.