Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default PBS

This Ifill situation reminds me of my feelings for PBS...

Until ~7 years ago I was a "PBS gold card" ($500-$1000/year)
contributor to PBS. (I know the time frame because I remember using
my "gold card" for a discount at a Sedona resort (Gawwwwd's and
McCain's country).

Then it struck me how biased PBS (and NPR) had become.

So I stopped being a contributor. Not that I'm reminded often.
_Nothing_, anymore, on PBS is worth watching ;-)

Given the quality of private enterprise cable TV, I think it
appropriate to cut off PBS (and NPR) from the public teat.

If Ifill betrays the public trust I suggest everyone join my
class-action suit to disband PBS.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 19:57:50 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

This Ifill situation reminds me of my feelings for PBS...

Until ~7 years ago I was a "PBS gold card" ($500-$1000/year)
contributor to PBS. (I know the time frame because I remember using
my "gold card" for a discount at a Sedona resort (Gawwwwd's and
McCain's country).

Then it struck me how biased PBS (and NPR) had become.

NPR especially. A lot of their stuff is blatant hit pieces, and a lot
of contempt for the people in flyover country.

So I stopped being a contributor. Not that I'm reminded often.
_Nothing_, anymore, on PBS is worth watching ;-)

Some of it is. Some of the Mystery series (Foyle's War, Dalgliesh,
Morse) was OK, even if the plots were absurd. But around here, we are
barraged by Suzie Ormund, doo-wop music re-re-reruns, some
inspirational speaker who paces and rants, basically a ton of
cheap-or-free crap.

Given the quality of private enterprise cable TV, I think it
appropriate to cut off PBS (and NPR) from the public teat.

I think DVD rentals and sales have killed a lot of formerly good/free
stuff, Monte Python and such. Our local TV station, KQED, spent tens
of megabucks on a state-of-the-art studio that they hardly use, have a
staff of fat cats, and spend zip on programming.

If Ifill betrays the public trust I suggest everyone join my
class-action suit to disband PBS.

Not likely to succeed.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

This Ifill situation reminds me of my feelings for PBS...

Until ~7 years ago I was a "PBS gold card" ($500-$1000/year)
contributor to PBS. (I know the time frame because I remember using
my "gold card" for a discount at a Sedona resort (Gawwwwd's and
McCain's country).

Then it struck me how biased PBS (and NPR) had become.

Yes indeed. Reality has a well established liberal bias, eh?

So I stopped being a contributor. Not that I'm reminded often.
_Nothing_, anymore, on PBS is worth watching ;-)

Given the quality of private enterprise cable TV, I think it
appropriate to cut off PBS (and NPR) from the public teat.

If Ifill betrays the public trust I suggest everyone join my
class-action suit to disband PBS.

It's sad to see what a caricature you've become, mate.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

This Ifill situation reminds me of my feelings for PBS...

Until ~7 years ago I was a "PBS gold card" ($500-$1000/year)
contributor to PBS. (I know the time frame because I remember using
my "gold card" for a discount at a Sedona resort (Gawwwwd's and
McCain's country).

Then it struck me how biased PBS (and NPR) had become.

NPR especially. A lot of their stuff is blatant hit pieces, and a lot
of contempt for the people in flyover country.

So I stopped being a contributor. Not that I'm reminded often.
_Nothing_, anymore, on PBS is worth watching ;-)

Some of it is. Some of the Mystery series (Foyle's War, Dalgliesh,
Morse) was OK,

I liked both Dalgleish and Morse, though they're ancient re-runs now.
I'm a Monk fan, and have most of his seasons on DVD.

even if the plots were absurd. But around here, we are
barraged by Suzie Ormund, doo-wop music re-re-reruns, some
inspirational speaker who paces and rants, basically a ton of
cheap-or-free crap.

Given the quality of private enterprise cable TV, I think it
appropriate to cut off PBS (and NPR) from the public teat.

I think DVD rentals and sales have killed a lot of formerly good/free
stuff, Monte Python and such. Our local TV station, KQED, spent tens
of megabucks on a state-of-the-art studio that they hardly use, have a
staff of fat cats, and spend zip on programming.

I'm happy to announce that KAET is laying by the bucket load... even
decided they don't really need a general manager ;-)

If Ifill betrays the public trust I suggest everyone join my
class-action suit to disband PBS.

Not likely to succeed.

John

One can only hope... that's all we're going to have left after the
election :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

The next time the Democrat Jerks whine that new drilling will
take 10 years, remind them of the Chinese proverb:
"Every journey starts with a first step"
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

This Ifill situation reminds me of my feelings for PBS...

Until ~7 years ago I was a "PBS gold card" ($500-$1000/year)
contributor to PBS. (I know the time frame because I remember using
my "gold card" for a discount at a Sedona resort (Gawwwwd's and
McCain's country).

Then it struck me how biased PBS (and NPR) had become.

Yes indeed. Reality has a well established liberal bias, eh?

If you think that's reality then you are one sick puppy.

#1 I ain't your "mate".

#2 It's sad to see what a sheep you've become.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Viewed from afar, even whores and Democrats seem reputable

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message
This Ifill situation reminds me of my feelings for PBS...

Until ~7 years ago I was a "PBS gold card" ($500-$1000/year)
contributor to PBS. (I know the time frame because I remember using
my "gold card" for a discount at a Sedona resort (Gawwwwd's and
McCain's country).

Then it struck me how biased PBS (and NPR) had become.

So I stopped being a contributor. Not that I'm reminded often.
_Nothing_, anymore, on PBS is worth watching ;-)

Given the quality of private enterprise cable TV, I think it
appropriate to cut off PBS (and NPR) from the public teat.

The quality of cable TV?????? The History Channel had some good
documentaries 10 years ago. Now it's the history of bulldozers channel.
They showed one on the history of paint. Not painting - paint. They don't
even show the old good ones as late-night reruns any more.

If Ifill betrays the public trust I suggest everyone join my
class-action suit to disband PBS.

I learned more science and history from PBS growing up than I learned from
school. It's no nore a special intterest than public school is. I have
never learned a single thing from The Learning Channel. What's on cable
that's remotely comparable to Nova?

PBS doesn't have anything of the caliber of The Ascent of Man or Meeting of
Minds any more, so why don't you petition to improve it. The new head of
WNET New York proved it can be done on the present budget. The old liberal
fool who previously ran the station was giving us Deepak Chopra seminars,
and not a single opera in 5 years. Under the new guy they have had two
operas a month and other improvements. Predictably, the leftist staff at
the station hates him.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:20:05 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message
This Ifill situation reminds me of my feelings for PBS...

Until ~7 years ago I was a "PBS gold card" ($500-$1000/year)
contributor to PBS. (I know the time frame because I remember using
my "gold card" for a discount at a Sedona resort (Gawwwwd's and
McCain's country).

Then it struck me how biased PBS (and NPR) had become.

So I stopped being a contributor. Not that I'm reminded often.
_Nothing_, anymore, on PBS is worth watching ;-)

Given the quality of private enterprise cable TV, I think it
appropriate to cut off PBS (and NPR) from the public teat.

The quality of cable TV?????? The History Channel had some good
documentaries 10 years ago. Now it's the history of bulldozers channel.

I rather enjoy heavy equipment ;-)

They showed one on the history of paint. Not painting - paint. They don't
even show the old good ones as late-night reruns any more.

If Ifill betrays the public trust I suggest everyone join my
class-action suit to disband PBS.

I learned more science and history from PBS growing up than I learned from
school.

"growing up", as in the past. PBS is dullsville anymore.

It's no nore a special intterest than public school is. I have
never learned a single thing from The Learning Channel. What's on cable
that's remotely comparable to Nova?

I thrive off of HBO and Showtime movies and specials.

PBS doesn't have anything of the caliber of The Ascent of Man or Meeting of
Minds any more, so why don't you petition to improve it.

Why? You only get weenie crap as you mention below.

The new head of
WNET New York proved it can be done on the present budget. The old liberal
fool who previously ran the station was giving us Deepak Chopra seminars,
and not a single opera in 5 years. Under the new guy they have had two
operas a month and other improvements. Predictably, the leftist staff at
the station hates him.

We here in the backward state of Arizona do it this way...

http://www.movietickets.com/movie_de...us=15&md2Go=Go

(I live in Ahwatukee Foothills.)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Diplomacy: Kissing ass when we should be kicking ass.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message

[...]

The quality of cable TV?????? The History Channel had some good
documentaries 10 years ago. Now it's the history of bulldozers channel.
They showed one on the history of paint. Not painting - paint. They

don't
even show the old good ones as late-night reruns any more.

[...]

Paint?. Must have a bit of Aspergers and yes I need to get a life but I'd
really enjoy a prog on Paint!.
Anything, please anything as compared to the UK exclusive diet of X factor,
singing people, pop music, wannabe models and clothes designers, Rappers
musing , makeovers for person and home, chefs and food preparation, survival
'experts', wild (always 'deadly')animals, rich kids buying property, soaps,
moronic sitcoms, quiz shows, police videos.