Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

Default power supply circuit

F Murtz wrote:
I would like to make an adjustable power supply using a transformer with
a 24v 5a single wound secondary I would like the voltage to be
adjustable from lowest to highest possible given transformer I would
like to have regulated current

There is another possibility I also have a larger transformer with two
32v 4.7a secondaries If anyone has a schematic for an adjustable power
supply with adjustable current regulation making the most of the
transformer specs I would be eternally grateful

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec
sheets etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

"F Murtz"

**Beware - cross-posting Hotmail ****** on the loose....

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec sheets
etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit

** Do you still expect to get visits from the " tooth fairy " ???

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

Phil Allison wrote:
"F Murtz"

**Beware - cross-posting Hotmail ****** on the loose....

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec sheets
etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit

** Do you still expect to get visits from the " tooth fairy " ???

..... Phil

Phil very sorry if cross posting is illegal but I thought different
people used different ngs other wise there would be only one and I
thought I would reach a greater audience.
If the only way to obtain a circuit for a power supply is to get a
degree in everything I suppose I should instead of asking on news groups
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

"F Murtz"

**Beware - cross-posting Hotmail ****** on the loose....

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec
sheets etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit

** Do you still expect to get visits from the " tooth fairy " ???

Phil very sorry if cross posting is illegal but I thought different people
used different ngs other wise there would be only one and I thought I
would reach a greater audience.

** Yes dickhead - I do know why people cross post.

But it is the act of a troll and tedious Hotmail ******s who have no common
sense.

If the only way to obtain a circuit for a power supply is to get a degree
in everything I suppose I should instead of asking on news groups

** Someone as stupid as you will never learn anything.

Cos you ignore everything you don't want to hear.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

"F Murtz" wrote in message
Phil Allison wrote:
"F Murtz"

**Beware - cross-posting Hotmail ****** on the loose....

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec
sheets etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit

** Do you still expect to get visits from the " tooth fairy " ???

..... Phil

Phil very sorry if cross posting is illegal but I thought different people
used different ngs other wise there would be only one and I thought I
would reach a greater audience.
If the only way to obtain a circuit for a power supply is to get a degree
in everything I suppose I should instead of asking on news groups.

Your first clue and News Groups life lesson is to ignore Phil and his
obsessive compulsive disorder driven, vitriol. (Killfile him, and your NG
life will be so much more pleasureable)

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:24:33 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
I would like to make an adjustable power supply using a transformer with
a 24v 5a single wound secondary I would like the voltage to be
adjustable from lowest to highest possible given transformer I would
like to have regulated current

There is another possibility I also have a larger transformer with two
32v 4.7a secondaries If anyone has a schematic for an adjustable power
supply with adjustable current regulation making the most of the
transformer specs I would be eternally grateful

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec
sheets etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit

It would be a pity, putting together your first power supply without
taking the oportunity to learn something about it. I mean - what are
you going to be using the completed power supply for, if not as a
learning tool?

A fair supply of app notes are available on the web to help you do
this, in consideration of the fact that you want to tailor the circuit
to transformers that you already have. Normally you wouldn't purchase
a part before you had some idea of what you needed, to do what you
aimed to do.

http://www.ieeta.pt/~alex/docs/Appli...20Handbook.pdf

A kit or pre-built/surplus unit may be an obvious alternative to the
bulk of all this 'learning' stuff. Even then, getting what you need
still requires an aim, to specify a requirement.

One kind of regulation method that is fairly tolerant of transformer
fixed winding voltages is illustrated at

http://members.shaw.ca/legg/1991a.html

This also offers a pspice simulation that runs in the free SWCADIII
package from Linear Technology. It takes a lot more savy to graft
regulation circuits onto un-anticipated transformers than it does to
design for a transformer from scratch, or fit a properly configured
transformer into a pre-designed configuration.

RL
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
[...]

Thanks I will look into what you have said.
The reason for using these transformers is that I already have them. I
did not buy them They were disused equipment
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

"F Murtz"

It takes a lot more savy to graft
regulation circuits onto un-anticipated transformers than it does to
design for a transformer from scratch, or fit a properly configured
transformer into a pre-designed configuration.

Thanks I will look into what you have said.
The reason for using these transformers is that I already have them. I did
not buy them They were disused equipment

** We BLOODY know that - you steaming great half-wit.

Got any sows ears you want to make into purses ??

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

Phil Allison wrote:
"F Murtz"
It takes a lot more savy to graft
regulation circuits onto un-anticipated transformers than it does to
design for a transformer from scratch, or fit a properly configured
transformer into a pre-designed configuration.

Thanks I will look into what you have said.
The reason for using these transformers is that I already have them. I did
not buy them They were disused equipment

** We BLOODY know that - you steaming great half-wit.

Got any sows ears you want to make into purses ??

..... Phil

I do not know what your problem is but I was explaining the free
transformers to Legg who seemed to think that I bought the transformers
and then wanted a circuit
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

"F Murtz"
It takes a lot more savy to graft
regulation circuits onto un-anticipated transformers than it does to
design for a transformer from scratch, or fit a properly configured
transformer into a pre-designed configuration.
Thanks I will look into what you have said.
The reason for using these transformers is that I already have them. I
did not buy them They were disused equipment

** We BLOODY know that - you steaming great half-wit.

Got any sows ears you want to make into purses ??

I do not know what your problem is

** YOU are the one with all the problems - dickhead.

but I was explaining the free
transformers to Legg who seemed to think that I bought the transformers
and then wanted a circuit

** Yet another of your mindless false assumptions.

Go away, fool.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
I would like to make an adjustable power supply using a transformer with
a 24v 5a single wound secondary I would like the voltage to be
adjustable from lowest to highest possible given transformer I would
like to have regulated current

There is another possibility I also have a larger transformer with two
32v 4.7a secondaries If anyone has a schematic for an adjustable power
supply with adjustable current regulation making the most of the
transformer specs I would be eternally grateful

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec
sheets etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit

snip
A fair supply of app notes are available on the web to help you do
this, in consideration of the fact that you want to tailor the circuit
to transformers that you already have. Normally you wouldn't purchase
a part before you had some idea of what you needed, to do what you
aimed to do.

http://www.ieeta.pt/~alex/docs/Appli...20Handbook.pdf

snip
Thanks I will look into what you have said.
The reason for using these transformers is that I already have them. I
did not buy them They were disused equipment

The Motorola handbook will give a good idea about what your
transformers are capable of, and how they might be configured to give
different output voltages to suit a post regulator. That will be your
first step, and give you your options.

RL
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:

I would like to make an adjustable power supply using a transformer
with a 24v 5a single wound secondary I would like the voltage to be
adjustable from lowest to highest possible given transformer I would
like to have regulated current

There is another possibility I also have a larger transformer with two
32v 4.7a secondaries If anyone has a schematic for an adjustable power
supply with adjustable current regulation making the most of the
transformer specs I would be eternally grateful

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec
sheets etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit

In a reply in another neswgroup someone recommended that you
look in the ARRL handbook; it was also suggested that you look
at an Astron power supply schematic at repeater-builder.com
http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...on-article.pdf
Both sources give you what you want - a schematic of an
already designed circuit. You can modify the designs as
necessary to suit your needs.

Ed
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:07:12 GMT, "-=Spudley=-"
wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
Phil Allison wrote:
"F Murtz"

**Beware - cross-posting Hotmail ****** on the loose....

Thanks to every one for their help on power supply design from spec
sheets etc but I was hoping for an already designed circuit

** Do you still expect to get visits from the " tooth fairy " ???

..... Phil

Phil very sorry if cross posting is illegal but I thought different people
used different ngs other wise there would be only one and I thought I
would reach a greater audience.
If the only way to obtain a circuit for a power supply is to get a degree
in everything I suppose I should instead of asking on news groups.

Your first clue and News Groups life lesson is to ignore Phil and his
obsessive compulsive disorder driven, vitriol. (Killfile him, and your NG
life will be so much more pleasureable)

Much agreed, I do as well.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.engineering.electrical

"JosephKrautKunthead "