Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

Default OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image001.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image002.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image003.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image004.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image005.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image006.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image007.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image008.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image009.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image010.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image011.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image012.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image013.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image014.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image015.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image016.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image017.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image018.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image019.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image021.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image022.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image023.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image024.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image025.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image026.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image027.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image028.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image029.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image030.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image031.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image032.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image033.jpg

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 23:22:21 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

---
Like you know something about it?

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

John Fields wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

---
Like you know something about it?

I'm comparing it with equivalent structures in the UK.

Sure, we had the Tay Bridge disaster but that was at least in a howling storm, and in
the mid-1800s very little was known about the performance of such structures under
those conditions.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

---
Like you know something about it?

I'm comparing it with equivalent structures in the UK.

Sure, we had the Tay Bridge disaster but that was at least in a howling storm, and in
the mid-1800s very little was known about the performance of such structures under
those conditions.

Graham

Yawn.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

Graham

I wouldn't say its flimsey. There is a bridge in the backround of one
photo that looks to have similar size steelwork. I have also seen many
bridges that look similar. The steel probably just looks flimisy cause
of the failure mechanism.

Has there been any real indications yet of how the failure may have
occoured?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

"ChairmanOfTheBored" wrote in message
You obviously do not know what a hundred tons of concrete can do after
a forty foot free fall.

For that matter, I always thought railroad track to be rather stiff and
immovable. I was watching the mainline tracks behind my office being
changed. A crane picked up the loose rail that had been dropped off in 100
foot sections. Looked like a 100 ton piece of cooked spaghetti the way it
bent. Go figure.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

oppie wrote:

"ChairmanOfTheBored" wrote in message
You obviously do not know what a hundred tons of concrete can do after
a forty foot free fall.

For that matter, I always thought railroad track to be rather stiff and
immovable. I was watching the mainline tracks behind my office being
changed. A crane picked up the loose rail that had been dropped off in 100
foot sections. Looked like a 100 ton piece of cooked spaghetti the way it
bent. Go figure.

You don't use continuous welded rail over there ? Now that stuff really does
look bendy.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

"Eeyore" wrote in message

oppie wrote:

"ChairmanOfTheBored" wrote in message
You obviously do not know what a hundred tons of concrete can do after
a forty foot free fall.

For that matter, I always thought railroad track to be rather stiff and
immovable. I was watching the mainline tracks behind my office being
changed. A crane picked up the loose rail that had been dropped off in
100
foot sections. Looked like a 100 ton piece of cooked spaghetti the way it
bent. Go figure.

You don't use continuous welded rail over there ? Now that stuff really
does
look bendy.

Graham

Yes, the rail is thermite welded to a continuous rail except for insulated
signaling joints. They ship it as 1000ft sections though.

As nice as the tracks are now, the trains still sound like they have square
wheels sometimes. I have to laugh at the railroad when they say how the
damage to the wheels was caused by fall leaves on the tracks that caused a
slip / stick when braking. Here it is, August in the Northeast of the USA
and there are no leaves on the tracks, the wheel shops are supposedly all
caught up in re-grinding the wheels on each truck and the trains still come
back going 'clump clump clump'. When the new rails were first installed, the
trains came by so silently it was amazing. Bad news for anybody walking
along the tracks then as it was so quiet that by the time you heard a noise,
the train was right by you. I found that out when walking along looking for
the bits of track that they cut out when making the signal joints - a nice
cross section about .75" long. They made nice book ends and the occasional
dolly for bending other metal against.
Oppie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:35 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Yes, the rail is thermite welded to a continuous rail except for insulated
signaling joints. They ship it as 1000ft sections though.

1000ft?

How?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:35 +0000, Oppie wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
oppie wrote:
[...]

That clack-clack, clack-clack is the wheels going over the expansion
joints. In fact, you can hear it coming first from the front of the car,
then from the rear and so on. I was in a train once that transitioned from
ordinary track to continuous track, and the slience was almost eerie.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design

Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

It just makes me wonder: If you survived such a disaster who is going
to pay for your car which probably won't survive (unless it is a
Toyota Hi-lux pickup truck)?

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)