DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/211347-ot-minneapolis-collapsed-bridge-pix.html)

Rich Grise August 18th 07 09:14 PM

OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image001.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image002.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image003.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image004.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image005.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image006.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image007.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image008.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image009.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image010.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image011.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image012.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image013.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image014.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image015.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image016.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image017.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image018.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image019.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image021.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image022.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image023.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image024.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image025.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image026.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image027.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image028.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image029.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image030.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image031.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image032.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image033.jpg

Thanks,
Rich

Eeyore August 18th 07 11:22 PM

Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

Graham

Michael A. Terrell August 19th 07 01:42 AM

OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

"T. Rex" wrote:

In article ,
says...
I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

Nothing to do with the size. This is a text-only newsgroup. You can't
attach ANYthing.

DOH!

Look at the headers, Doh! It is crossposted to a binaries
newsgroup, Doh! Doh!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

DoN. Nichols August 19th 07 02:30 AM

OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

According to Michael A. Terrell :
"T. Rex" wrote:

In article ,
says...
I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

Nothing to do with the size. This is a text-only newsgroup. You can't
attach ANYthing.

Look at the headers, Doh! It is crossposted to a binaries
newsgroup, Doh! Doh!

Just because it is cross-posted to a binaries newsgroup does not
automatically give permission to post it in a discussion only (plain
text) newsgroup.

And I can't imagine these images being on-topic in
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic anyway, so it is just as well that
his newsreader prevented the posting of the images.

I am much happier not being forced to download the images if
don't want to look at them. The web site is the far better choice.
(Though if it had an index, it would have been nicer to have a single
link to the index, rather than pages of links to individual images.

Of course -- even if he had managed to make it accept the
binaries, many news servers now automatically drop any articles with
binary attachments in a non-binaries newsgroup, so I likely would not
have seen them anyway. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Michael A. Terrell August 19th 07 05:33 AM

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

According to Michael A. Terrell :
"T. Rex" wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

I don't like them crossposted, either, but I was pointing out that it
was posted to at least one binaries newsgroup. Now that Earthlink has
outsourced to Supernews I doubt that I could crosspost, with an image.
They follow the rules a lot better than some of the other news server
farms.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Nico Coesel August 19th 07 10:36 AM

Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

It just makes me wonder: If you survived such a disaster who is going
to pay for your car which probably won't survive (unless it is a
Toyota Hi-lux pickup truck)?

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

John Fields August 19th 07 12:35 PM

OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 23:22:21 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

---
Like you know something about it?

--
JF

The Real Andy August 19th 07 02:30 PM

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

Graham

I wouldn't say its flimsey. There is a bridge in the backround of one
photo that looks to have similar size steelwork. I have also seen many
bridges that look similar. The steel probably just looks flimisy cause
of the failure mechanism.

Has there been any real indications yet of how the failure may have
occoured?

Eeyore August 19th 07 02:30 PM

John Fields wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

---
Like you know something about it?

I'm comparing it with equivalent structures in the UK.

Sure, we had the Tay Bridge disaster but that was at least in a howling storm, and in
the mid-1800s very little was known about the performance of such structures under
those conditions.

Graham

Doug Miller August 19th 07 02:38 PM

OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

In article , wrote:
"T. Rex" wrote:

In article ,
says...
I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

Nothing to do with the size. This is a text-only newsgroup. You can't
attach ANYthing.

DOH!

Look at the headers, Doh! It is crossposted to a binaries
newsgroup, Doh! Doh!

Doesn't matter -- it's also crossposted to a text-only group, which means that
the servers will strip attachments.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller August 19th 07 02:39 PM

In article , (Nico Coesel) wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

It just makes me wonder: If you survived such a disaster who is going
to pay for your car which probably won't survive (unless it is a
Toyota Hi-lux pickup truck)?

Your automobile insurance carrier, of course.

--
Regards,

Michael A. Terrell August 19th 07 05:10 PM

Eeyore wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...e/image020.jpg

One thing that struck me straight away is how flimsy the steelwork looks for the
job it's supposed to do.

---
Like you know something about it?

I'm comparing it with equivalent structures in the UK.

Sure, we had the Tay Bridge disaster but that was at least in a howling storm, and in
the mid-1800s very little was known about the performance of such structures under
those conditions.

Graham

Yawn.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell August 19th 07 05:11 PM

OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , wrote:
"T. Rex" wrote:

In article ,
says...
I tried to attach these, but apparently my newsclient or server choked on
2 MB of images. I got them from my brother, who lives in Minneapolis.

Nothing to do with the size. This is a text-only newsgroup. You can't
attach ANYthing.

DOH!

Look at the headers, Doh! It is crossposted to a binaries
newsgroup, Doh! Doh!

Doesn't matter -- it's also crossposted to a text-only group, which means that
the servers will strip attachments.

Only if you're reading it in a text only newsgroup.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

oppie August 20th 07 01:52 AM

OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

"ChairmanOfTheBored" wrote in message
You obviously do not know what a hundred tons of concrete can do after
a forty foot free fall.

For that matter, I always thought railroad track to be rather stiff and
immovable. I was watching the mainline tracks behind my office being
changed. A crane picked up the loose rail that had been dropped off in 100
foot sections. Looked like a 100 ton piece of cooked spaghetti the way it
bent. Go figure.

Eeyore August 20th 07 03:51 AM

oppie wrote:

"ChairmanOfTheBored" wrote in message
You obviously do not know what a hundred tons of concrete can do after
a forty foot free fall.

For that matter, I always thought railroad track to be rather stiff and
immovable. I was watching the mainline tracks behind my office being
changed. A crane picked up the loose rail that had been dropped off in 100
foot sections. Looked like a 100 ton piece of cooked spaghetti the way it
bent. Go figure.

You don't use continuous welded rail over there ? Now that stuff really does
look bendy.

Graham

Oppie[_3_] August 20th 07 03:05 PM

"Eeyore" wrote in message

oppie wrote:

"ChairmanOfTheBored" wrote in message
You obviously do not know what a hundred tons of concrete can do after
a forty foot free fall.

For that matter, I always thought railroad track to be rather stiff and
immovable. I was watching the mainline tracks behind my office being
changed. A crane picked up the loose rail that had been dropped off in
100
foot sections. Looked like a 100 ton piece of cooked spaghetti the way it
bent. Go figure.

You don't use continuous welded rail over there ? Now that stuff really
does
look bendy.

Graham

Yes, the rail is thermite welded to a continuous rail except for insulated
signaling joints. They ship it as 1000ft sections though.

As nice as the tracks are now, the trains still sound like they have square
wheels sometimes. I have to laugh at the railroad when they say how the
damage to the wheels was caused by fall leaves on the tracks that caused a
slip / stick when braking. Here it is, August in the Northeast of the USA
and there are no leaves on the tracks, the wheel shops are supposedly all
caught up in re-grinding the wheels on each truck and the trains still come
back going 'clump clump clump'. When the new rails were first installed, the
trains came by so silently it was amazing. Bad news for anybody walking
along the tracks then as it was so quiet that by the time you heard a noise,
the train was right by you. I found that out when walking along looking for
the bits of track that they cut out when making the signal joints - a nice
cross section about .75" long. They made nice book ends and the occasional
dolly for bending other metal against.
Oppie

Mike August 20th 07 10:04 PM

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:35 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Yes, the rail is thermite welded to a continuous rail except for insulated
signaling joints. They ship it as 1000ft sections though.

1000ft?

How?

Trevor Jones August 21st 07 02:40 AM

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:04:41 +0100, Mike wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:35 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Yes, the rail is thermite welded to a continuous rail except for insulated
signaling joints. They ship it as 1000ft sections though.

1000ft?

How?

Thermite? I think he pulled your leg.

How so?

I have seen write-ups of the thermite weld process for rail online. I
saw some sections of rail cut-offs that had a joint that looked cast in
place, and looked to me to have been done in such a manner.

Lesse....
http://www.irfca.org/docs/thermit-welding.html

First hit on a G-search for "thermite weld rail"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite_welding

and the un-exiting video (probably because it was work, not play)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1CWxryppw

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Oppie[_3_] August 21st 07 01:59 PM

OT rail/thermite

"Mike" wrote in message

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:35 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Yes, the rail is thermite welded to a continuous rail except for insulated
signaling joints. They ship it as 1000ft sections though.

1000ft?

How?

It rather amazed the crud out of me to see these long flatbed cars - about
ten altogether, with the rails laid in grooves on the deck. I guess there is
a limit on how many rails they can cary and still make it around a curve...
The rail is laid along-side the existing rail until it is ready to be put in
place and is dragged off the rear of the flatbed cars carying the new rails.
Pretty amazing process how they place and install the new rails.

For welding, they use a series of Oxy/Acet torches to preheat the rails to a
dull red for about two feet either side of the joint. A single use ceramic
form is clamped over the joint. The form has a hopper up top that is loaded
with the thermite mix and when the preheat is ready, lit off with a
magnesium strip. As the thermite burns, slag floats to the top while pure
iron drips to the bottom and fills the joint. Takes a few minutes to burn
out and then sits for about a half hour before they knock off the forms. I
don't recall any quenching so I assume that the rail is left soft, annealed.
Next day, they do a rough grind and then a special rail dresser comes by and
does the final surface grinding. Evidentaly there are a few methods other
than the one I watched as show in these links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR6K90cR8Lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1CWxryppw
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/mow15.html

Found this one on classic hacks -
http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/...1/realhack.htm
Some MIT students once illicitly used a quantity of thermite to weld a
trolley car to its tracks. The hack was actually not dangerous, as
they did this at night to a parked trolley. It took the transit
people quite a while to figure out what was wrong with the trolley,
and even longer to figure out how to fix it. They ended up putting
jacks under the trolley and cutting the section of track on either
side of the wheel with oxyacetylene torches. Then they unbolted the
wheel, welded in a new piece of track, bolted on a new wheel, and
removed the jacks. The hackers sneaked in the next night and stole the
piece of track and wheel!

The piece of trolley track with the wheel still welded to it was later
used as the trophy at the First Annual All-Tech Sing. They carted it
in on a very heavy duty dolly up the freight elevator of the Student
Center. Six feet of rail and a trolley wheel is a *lot* of
steel.
JT could probably give more info on this.

Oppie

Eeyore August 21st 07 02:43 PM

OT rail/thermite

Oppie wrote:

It rather amazed the crud out of me to see these long flatbed cars - about
ten altogether, with the rails laid in grooves on the deck. I guess there is
a limit on how many rails they can cary and still make it around a curve...

The rail bends of course, just the same as the rails the train is running on.

Graham

Rich Grise August 21st 07 06:26 PM

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:35 +0000, Oppie wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
oppie wrote:
[...]

That clack-clack, clack-clack is the wheels going over the expansion
joints. In fact, you can hear it coming first from the front of the car,
then from the rear and so on. I was in a train once that transitioned from
ordinary track to continuous track, and the slience was almost eerie.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Grise August 21st 07 06:29 PM

OT rail/thermite

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:43:16 +0100, Eeyore wrote:
Oppie wrote:

It rather amazed the crud out of me to see these long flatbed cars - about
ten altogether, with the rails laid in grooves on the deck. I guess there is
a limit on how many rails they can cary and still make it around a curve...

The rail bends of course, just the same as the rails the train is running on.

With such long pieces of rail, how do they account for expansion?

Thanks,
Rich

rex[_2_] August 21st 07 10:31 PM

OT rail/thermite

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:59:22 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Found this one on classic hacks -
http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/...1/realhack.htm
Some MIT students once illicitly used a quantity of thermite to weld a
trolley car to its tracks.

The link and some others from google also mention CMU.

I was at Carnegie Tech (now CMU) in the last half of the 60's. My
fraternity was next door to another fraternity with a nice big old house
but it had very few members and they tended to be extreme geeks. The
reason, as I heard it, was that the fraternity was on long-term social
probation. They had no parties and (I think) did not participate in
events like homecoming.

The reason, related to me in about 1965, was that some years earlier the
fraternity had welded a street car to the tracks. The googling I did has
references to both MIT and CMU (actually CIT back then) but no details.
Here is the second-hand story as I remember it.

Several of the fraternities were on Forbes Ave facing the campus; at
least 4 as I remember it. Mine was one, and the perpetrators next door.
I'm not sure when this happened but I would guess late 50's to about 61.

The street car tracks ran on Forbes Ave and there was an island in the
middle of the street, right in front of our fraternities, that was the
stop for the street cars.

They looked something like this
http://www.kenoshawis.com/KWPix/Pix071001/dsc00013.jpg

This 'X' fraternity was, at the time, one of the major fun fraternities.
So they got this idea. I think two thermite bombs were involved. A few
guys were waiting on the island for the street car. When it arrived, one
guy got on with a hundred dollar bill to start an argument with the
conductor about paying. The other guys immediately set the bombs at the
wheels/track and ignited them. When the argument died down and the first
guy exited the car, it was already welded to the tracks.

I imagine it blocked the line for several days, because I heard that
they had to come out, lift the car off of its carriage and then cut up
sections of track with wheels attached and then replace the track.

The fraternity was nailed, I'm sure some people were expelled if not
more, and the fraternity became a ghost of its former glory for at least
10 yrs or so.

My fraternity was bad enough. When I saw "Animal House" I thought it
might have been based on us. We had a streetcar encounter too. We
chartered one, and our fraternity got on with a sorority and two kegs of
beer on ice in garbage cans. We cruised around the city for several
hours.

The transit company was not happy with us. They sent us an invoice for
something like $20,000 damages. Apparently there were several things
that were broken or missing. There was a small tidal wave of spilled
beer that would flow forward and back in the car as we went up and down
hills, and apparently some of that got into the electrics of the car and
caused problems.

Well there are no more street cars in Pittsburgh. No more fraternities
can abuse them. Ah the joys of misspent youth. We got away, for the most
part, with stupid stuff back then that would land people in jail today.

Oppie[_3_] August 21st 07 10:42 PM

OT more track stuff

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
[...]

Not in this particular case. The MTA Metro North division that runs past my
office (Hawthorne, NY USA) has been dodging all sorts of bad publicity about
the noise the trains make and blaming it on wet leaves on the tracks. They
claimed last year in the fall that the wet leaves caused the wheels to lock
up when the brakes were applied... and then skid when they hit a dry section
of track. That has not been happening over the dry summer so something else
is denting or flatting the wheel surfaces that accounts for the noise. When
a train with good wheels comes by, you only hear the noise of the variable
speed AC drives and a little whine. As you said, almost eerie.

Oppie

Oppie[_3_] August 21st 07 10:54 PM

OT rail/thermite

"rex" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:59:22 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Found this one on classic hacks -
http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/...1/realhack.htm
Some MIT students once illicitly used a quantity of thermite to weld a
trolley car to its tracks.

The link and some others from google also mention CMU.

I was at Carnegie Tech (now CMU) in the last half of the 60's. My
fraternity was next door to another fraternity with a nice big old house
but it had very few members and they tended to be extreme geeks. The
reason, as I heard it, was that the fraternity was on long-term social
probation. They had no parties and (I think) did not participate in
events like homecoming.

snip
Well there are no more street cars in Pittsburgh. No more fraternities
can abuse them. Ah the joys of misspent youth. We got away, for the most
part, with stupid stuff back then that would land people in jail today.

Thanks for that. I never pledged a Frat. I was with the
Inter-College-TV/Radio Network at Clarkson back in the early 70's and we had
our own non-fraternity fraternity: Zeta Omicron Omicron (ZOO). I think you
get the idea...

Lew Hartswick August 21st 07 11:22 PM

OT rail/thermite

Oppie wrote:

For welding, they use a series of Oxy/Acet torches to preheat the rails to a
dull red for about two feet either side of the joint.

Only one torch was used on the job I took probably a hundred pix (no
movies) of.

A single use ceramic
form is clamped over the joint. The form has a hopper up top that is loaded
with the thermite mix and when the preheat is ready, lit off with a
magnesium strip. As the thermite burns, slag floats to the top while pure
iron drips to the bottom and fills the joint. Takes a few minutes to burn
out and then sits for about a half hour before they knock off the forms.

Not even, about 5 or 10 min.

don't recall any quenching so I assume that the rail is left soft, annealed.
Next day, they do a rough grind and then a special rail dresser comes by and
does the final surface grinding.

Next day my foot, by the time the next joint was set up and lit they
came back and nocked of the form and not much later did the dressing
grind. Slick grinder guided on the rail on either side of the joint.

Evidentaly there are a few methods other
than the one I watched as show in these links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR6K90cR8Lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1CWxryppw
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/mow15.html
Oppie

The materials I watched were like the second link above.
This was building two swithhes for a siding on the line from
Albuquerque to Belen on the Isleta res. (for the "RailRunner")
It was even more intresting to watch the cutting of the main
line and sliding the pre-fabed switches over and connecting
to the line. Gad but it was cold and done late at night, way
beyond my bed time. :-)
If anyone is realy intrested in the pix I could send a few.

...lew...

The Real Andy August 22nd 07 12:38 AM

OT rail/thermite

Oppie wrote:

It rather amazed the crud out of me to see these long flatbed cars - about
ten altogether, with the rails laid in grooves on the deck. I guess there is
a limit on how many rails they can cary and still make it around a curve...

The rail bends of course, just the same as the rails the train is running on.

With such long pieces of rail, how do they account for expansion?

Thanks,
Rich

There is a facility about 3 suburbs away from me that welds together
the short segments of tracks as described. I catch the train past the
place everyday and often see the trains loaded up with the large
sections. The track is placed on a greased up pad, then another is
placed on top and soforth. The track itself can move freely back and
foward. I have not really noticed how it is secured at each end but I
will take a look next time I pass one.

The facility is visible from the road, so I make take a drive up and
snap a few pics if anyone is interested. Not sure if i can see the
rolling stock, but you can definately get a look at the welding
facility.

Doug White August 22nd 07 01:29 AM

OT rail/thermite

"Mike" wrote in message

snip
[...]

Well, not exactly...

It was a resurrection of the All Tech Sing (they stopped for a few years
in the early 70's), and the track & wheel were not from the original
hack. My dorm floor (3rd East) won it. The prize was always called "The
Egbert" (for no known reason), and was traditionally massive and
unwieldy. We won again the next year, and the prize was a stuffed Muppet
dog, which we found very suspicious. After we'd had time to point out
that it was neither massive nor unwieldy, they mentioned that they had a
"little something" to make the dog feel at home. That's when they
wheeled out a 3' square by 6" thick slab of concrete with a fire hydrant
on it. After various adventures & renovations, both of them seem to have
vanished from the dorm in the intervening years. I know the wheel broke
off the rail at some point when it fell over.

Doug White

Howard R Garner August 22nd 07 01:42 AM

OT rail/thermite

Oppie wrote:

[...]

The track is secured to a center car so both ends move when it goes
around the curves.

Howard Garner
from a family of railroaders

Eeyore August 22nd 07 02:22 AM

OT rail/thermite

Oppie wrote:

It rather amazed the crud out of me to see these long flatbed cars - about
ten altogether, with the rails laid in grooves on the deck. I guess there is
a limit on how many rails they can cary and still make it around a curve...

The rail bends of course, just the same as the rails the train is running on.

With such long pieces of rail, how do they account for expansion?

It's apparently stretched slightly when it's laid. That reduces the problem at
least. Maybe tension is less problematical ?

Graham

Eeyore August 22nd 07 02:43 AM

OT more track stuff

Oppie wrote:

The MTA Metro North division that runs past my
office (Hawthorne, NY USA) has been dodging all sorts of bad publicity about
the noise the trains make and blaming it on wet leaves on the tracks. They
claimed last year in the fall that the wet leaves caused the wheels to lock
up when the brakes were applied...

How long have they been making this claim ?

I'm sure British Rail originated it easily 20 years ago. The power cars that
were used on the local line also had a problem one winter because we had the
'wrong kind of snow' that was so fine that it got into the electrics and caused
them to fail. BR had a wealth of excuses including on one occasion a llama on
the line yet never ever used the excuse that delays etc were down to incompetent
management !

Graham

DoN. Nichols August 22nd 07 03:43 AM

OT rail/thermite

According to rex :
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:59:22 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Found this one on classic hacks -
http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/...1/realhack.htm
Some MIT students once illicitly used a quantity of thermite to weld a
trolley car to its tracks.

The link and some others from google also mention CMU.

I was at Carnegie Tech (now CMU) in the last half of the 60's. My

[ ... ]

The reason, related to me in about 1965, was that some years earlier the
fraternity had welded a street car to the tracks. The googling I did has
references to both MIT and CMU (actually CIT back then) but no details.
Here is the second-hand story as I remember it.

O.K. When I first heard about it, it was at MIT in 1960, and
already spoken of as a part of history.

The MTA car which was welded was not on MIT property. Instead,
it was just outside the Harvard football stadium, just before the end of
the Harvard-Yale football game. :-)

A student half entered the car, and standing in the door was
asking questions and being very stupid about understanding the answers.
(The car could not be moved while the door was open.) Four other
students came up to four of the wheel pairs, placed a paper bag of
thermite at the join of the wheels to the rails, and lit them. Again,
by the time that the student got clear of the door, the car was firmly
welded to the rails. They had to cut the rails, lift the car with a
crane, cut the steel tires off the cast-iron wheels, and heat-shrink new
tires in place while the cut out sections of rail were replaced.

I never heard anything about steeling the wheels and track
sections, however. That sounds like something which was added later in
the telling. :-)

(There were quite a few other stories of things of the sort,
including the barber pole escapade and the "spy" escapade (during the
height of the cold war). :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564