Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Amdahl's Law

To read about what real engineering is all about....

http://www.ieee.org/portal/site/sscs...ile=Amdahl.xml

Watch the wrap, or cut and paste.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:
To read about what real engineering is all about....

http://www.ieee.org/portal/site/sscs...ile=Amdahl.xml

Watch the wrap, or cut and paste.

...Jim Thompson

nice inspiring recount!

Marc
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:23:47 -0700, LVMarc wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
To read about what real engineering is all about....

http://www.ieee.org/portal/site/sscs...ile=Amdahl.xml

Watch the wrap, or cut and paste.

...Jim Thompson

nice inspiring recount!

Marc

I found it rather inspiring myself!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"LVMarc" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote:
To read about what real engineering is all about....

http://www.ieee.org/portal/site/sscs...ile=Amdahl.xml

Watch the wrap, or cut and paste.

...Jim Thompson

nice inspiring recount!

And, Dr. Amdahl never resorted to calling folks, who he disagreed with,
"leftist weenies," nor resort to other denigrating methods.

This is also interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:11:01 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

To read about what real engineering is all about....

http://www.ieee.org/portal/site/sscs...ile=Amdahl.xml

...Jim Thompson

It pains me to post in any thread started by JT, but occasionally he
does start one pretty much on topic and interesting.

I left IBM to join Amdahl just before the first machines shipped in
1975. Amdahl was an extremely great and rewarding place to work. It was
a privilege to work with a group of people that converged based on their
intelligence and willingness to take a risk so they could push the
possibilities. Being among that group of people for some years was as
much of a reward as the accomplishments of doing the good and creative
technical and business work.

The people who were there in the 70's had a reunion about a year ago.
Really great to reunite and reminisce with all those people. Wish
everyone could work with a group like that. It is getting more and more
rare.

Amdahl (the company and the person) took the computer industry to a
place that IBM was not ready to go without the competition.

I was a bit down in the ranks of those who really made it happen, but I
met and talked with Gene a few times. I had dinner with him and his wife
one evening in Oslo, Norway. As with most really intelligent and
leading-edge creative people I have met, he is very humble, friendly,
and accessible.

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 04:40:15 -0700, mainframer
wrote:

[snip]

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over
the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 04:40:15 -0700, mainframer
wrote:

[snip]

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over
the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Gee Jim, you seem to be being raked over the coals, I don't get it!
But then I'm not a leftist weenie! :-)
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

LVMarc wrote:

nice inspiring recount!

Marc

Recount? Recount is the verb form. The noun is recountal.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 10:41:31 -0500, "mike" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 04:40:15 -0700, mainframer
wrote:

[snip]

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over
the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Gee Jim, you seem to be being raked over the coals, I don't get it!
But then I'm not a leftist weenie! :-)
Mike

That's SOP that posters that don't even banter electronics seem free
to pick on me... pick away ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 04:40:15 -0700, mainframer
wrote:

[snip]

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over
the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

Starting to develop a cranky streak? You could start a model T at ten
paces! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 15:50:18 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 04:40:15 -0700, mainframer
wrote:

[snip]

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over
the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

Starting to develop a cranky streak? You could start a model T at ten
paces! ;-)

Sno-o-o-o-ort!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Starting to develop a cranky streak? You could start a model T at ten
paces! ;-)

Sno-o-o-o-ort!

I thought that you'd like it!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 04:40:15 -0700, mainframer
wrote:

[snip]

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over
the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I thought you met Larkin. Larkin is the one I want to get my hands
on..err...I mean meet:-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:08:17 GMT, Fred Bloggs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 04:40:15 -0700, mainframer
wrote:

[snip]

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over
the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I thought you met Larkin. Larkin is the one I want to get my hands
on..err...I mean meet:-)

I believe we talked on the phone... he introduced me to a very nice
wheat beer.

I've also talked, by phone, with several other posters (and lurkers)
here. Some choose anonymity.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 10:41:19 -0700, Archimedes' Lever
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 08:45:15 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 10:41:31 -0500, "mike" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 04:40:15 -0700, mainframer
wrote:

[snip]

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his
intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over
the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

...Jim Thompson
Gee Jim, you seem to be being raked over the coals, I don't get it!
But then I'm not a leftist weenie! :-)
Mike

That's SOP that posters that don't even banter electronics seem free
to pick on me... pick away ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Maybe it's because you are the dumb**** that posts anything BUT
schematics here.

You do it so often, that many of us have begun to follow suit,
including myself.

But I don't call anyone that disagrees with me a leftist weenie, as
some seem to think you do. Do you?

I use that designation ONLY for true leftist weenies... if you espouse
Hillary-isms, you ARE a leftist weenie.

I have a ton of schematics on my website that I refer to all the time,
plus post an occasional schematic to ABSE as appropriate.

I most often try to chide would-be "designers" into thinking for
themselves, rather than just copying without understanding... to no
avail, unfortunately :-(

My near-half-century of design competence is well-proven. Is yours
?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

SomeKindOfWonderful
posted to
sci.electronics.design:

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:55:00 -0400, "Charles"
wrote:

"LVMarc" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote:
To read about what real engineering is all about....

http://www.ieee.org/portal/site/sscs...ile=Amdahl.xml

Watch the wrap, or cut and paste.

...Jim Thompson
nice inspiring recount!

And, Dr. Amdahl never resorted to calling folks, who he disagreed
with, "leftist weenies," nor resort to other denigrating methods.

This is also interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

Yes, but it shouldn't inspire you. You should ALREADY be
inspired to be
working in this field. Otherwise, you are a lazy freeloader,
letting each day pass like a cop and his doughnuts and coffee.

No. It should inspire you. Both to enter the field and later to do
more when in the field. These are the stories used to pass on the
value of dedication and persistence that most often result in the
inspiration.

Compare western (predominately European) cultures a mere few
centuries ago. Puberty meant marriageable about age 14 for both
genders. Please find for me much other than the hyper-romantic,
that Voltaire disparaged with "Madam Bovary", inspirational stories
(if you can find them).

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

JosephKK posted to
sci.electronics.design:

wrote:

"LVMarc" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

At least i got that part right.

Compare western (predominately European) cultures a mere few
centuries ago. Puberty meant marriageable about age 14 for both
genders. Please find for me much other than the hyper-romantic,
that Voltaire disparaged with "Madam Bovary", inspirational
stories (if you can find them).

Damn, i can follow that only because i have all the referents.

Let's try adding:

Much of modern culture is derivative from the neo-romantic
intercession which was a reaction to the "age of reason". "Madam
Bovary" is the rationalist response from Voltaire. Historical age
of marriage is a lookup issue. Technology oriented inspirational
writings are not all that common in current literature, mostly you
find various grades or forms of "magic". Dr. Clark was right, "Any
sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

JosephKK wrote:

writings are not all that common in current literature, mostly you
find various grades or forms of "magic". Dr. Clark was right, "Any
sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I like the corollary: Any technology that is distinguishable from magic
is insufficiently advanced.

Back on your heads.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ChairmanOfTheBored a écrit :

wrote:

"LVMarc" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Yet you are so stupid that even after being told about it for years,
and regardless of where you are or where you are from, you still cannot
manage to even be inspired enough capitalize the word "I".

As if you were capital :-(

--
Thanks,
Fred.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ChairmanOfTheBored posted to
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic:

wrote:

"LVMarc" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

What a blithering idiot you are. Read some e e cummings.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

ChairmanOfTheBored posted to
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic:

wrote:

"LVMarc" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Idiot.

http://m-w.com/dictionary/capitalize

Very first definition, dip****.

You can be used for a poster boy for the problems that lack of arts
education causes. Not to mention the lack of ability to properly
distinguish between homophones. (to, too, two)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:50:14 +0000, Phil Hobbs wrote:
JosephKK wrote:

writings are not all that common in current literature, mostly you
find various grades or forms of "magic". Dr. Clark was right, "Any
sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I like the corollary: Any technology that is distinguishable from magic
is insufficiently advanced.

Back on your heads.

I heard it as "Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from
technology." ;-)

Cheers!
Rich