Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Keyboard Diagnosis?

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:20:40 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

...Jim Thompson

Is there a KVM involved in this?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

What model number keyboard? And what is the offending system?

It may be more than a simple power problem (I'd just expect nothing to
work). Its probably a failure signal either from the keyboard processor
itself or the PC's BIOS

--
Paul Hovnanian
Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

...Jim Thompson

Is there a KVM involved in this?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yes :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:47:26 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

What model number keyboard? And what is the offending system?

It may be more than a simple power problem (I'd just expect nothing to
work). Its probably a failure signal either from the keyboard processor
itself or the PC's BIOS

Belkin F8E-206-USB. "Offending system" is IOGear HCS1734 KVM.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

That happens during startup POST and, IIRC, when the KB is plugged in.

Lemme see...(if nothing follows, it stopped working :-p )

Ahyup, does. Dang, numlock turned off...that's better...

I think some KBs just don't do it.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

...Jim Thompson

Is there a KVM involved in this?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yes :-(

...Jim Thompson

Could be a "hot key" mode. Does pressing ESC make it go away?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

...Jim Thompson

Is there a KVM involved in this?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yes :-(

...Jim Thompson

Could be a "hot key" mode. Does pressing ESC make it go away?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

No. And IOGear "support" is playing dumb, only will say their
keyboards work with their KVM's

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

Sounds like a bad keyboard. Over current reset.
Maybe the KVM cant supply the current needed.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

Sounds like a bad keyboard. Over current reset.
Maybe the KVM cant supply the current needed.

Or a dirty POR on the keyboard itself, after which it kind of "hangs".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:37:43 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

Sounds like a bad keyboard. Over current reset.
Maybe the KVM cant supply the current needed.

Or a dirty POR on the keyboard itself, after which it kind of "hangs".

I got it to work by resetting the KVM WITHOUT its own power unit
unplugged, so that power only came via the host PC's.

Maybe it IS a bad (as in too high a current) keyboard??

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:37:43 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

Sounds like a bad keyboard. Over current reset.
Maybe the KVM cant supply the current needed.

Or a dirty POR on the keyboard itself, after which it kind of "hangs".

I got it to work by resetting the KVM WITHOUT its own power unit
unplugged, so that power only came via the host PC's.

Maybe it IS a bad (as in too high a current) keyboard??

...Jim Thompson

Hmmm, Sounds like the KVM power supply might have been flakey.
Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:37:43 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

Sounds like a bad keyboard. Over current reset.
Maybe the KVM cant supply the current needed.

Or a dirty POR on the keyboard itself, after which it kind of "hangs".

I got it to work by resetting the KVM WITHOUT its own power unit
unplugged, so that power only came via the host PC's.

If you have a digital scope just hang it on the USB supply to the
keyboard and set the trigger to normal, trig level to 90%, time base to
100msec/div or so. That should show any collapse when you plug it in.

Maybe it IS a bad (as in too high a current) keyboard??

I guess you meant "without the KVM supply plugged in". Maybe it comes up
a bit sluggish and the keyboard POR is lousay, as Archie would have put it.

It's amazing how only a few people are able to design a proper POR. What
I've done at times (shhh, don't tell anyone I went that low) is to take
the lone electrolytic in the offending unit out and replace it with a
much smaller one. But never on anything mission-critical.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 00:50:54 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:37:43 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

Sounds like a bad keyboard. Over current reset.
Maybe the KVM cant supply the current needed.

Or a dirty POR on the keyboard itself, after which it kind of "hangs".

I got it to work by resetting the KVM WITHOUT its own power unit
unplugged, so that power only came via the host PC's.

If you have a digital scope just hang it on the USB supply to the
keyboard and set the trigger to normal, trig level to 90%, time base to
100msec/div or so. That should show any collapse when you plug it in.

I'm going to lash up a USB "break-out" extender, so I can watch such
things. It certainly looks like a "surge" oscillator.

Maybe it IS a bad (as in too high a current) keyboard??

I guess you meant "without the KVM supply plugged in". Maybe it comes up
a bit sluggish and the keyboard POR is lousay, as Archie would have put it.

Yep. I got my double negatives up in force ;-)

It's amazing how only a few people are able to design a proper POR. What
I've done at times (shhh, don't tell anyone I went that low) is to take
the lone electrolytic in the offending unit out and replace it with a
much smaller one. But never on anything mission-critical.

I have some really slick POR's. You don't do chips or I'd share with
you.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:37:43 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

[...]

That would be nice. And no, I am not planning to do any chips. Might get
pulled into one but then they usually want me to re-design a nasty area
such as a pulser or an amp. I'm a board level guy. Debugging a flex with
tons of 0402 right now. Man, that gets difficult with age.

My PORs are pretty simple, just transistors, diodes, resistors and a
cap. The cap is rapidly discharged below threshold should the power rail
drop down. That way it'll hold in reset for a while when it comes back
up. Works a lot better than what's found on many uC.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:37:43 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I'll send you a sample.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

What model number keyboard? And what is the offending system?

It may be more than a simple power problem (I'd just expect nothing to
work). Its probably a failure signal either from the keyboard processor
itself or the PC's BIOS

Belkin F8E-206-USB. "Offending system" is IOGear HCS1734 KVM.

OK, I was thinking of a PC as a host system. Sounds like the KVM is
continually rebooting. Many keyboards blink their LEDs upon startup, but
no PCs can cycle so quickly that one would describe a repetitive blink.

Do you have a powered USB hub lying around? Try putting that between the
KB and KVM.

--
Paul Hovnanian
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Never mind. Take a look at the Belkin spec page:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=22227

"Our ClassicKeyboard only works with MS drivers. Our drivers do not work
in Windows XP".

To me, this means that this keyboard needs to talk to specific drivers
instead of being some sort of generic USB keyboard device. I'll bet that
the KVM doesn't support whatever it is that the keyboard is expecting.

--
Paul Hovnanian
RAM disk is *not* an installation procedure.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:26:42 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Sounds like nonsense to me. The keyboard plugs directly into USB and
works just fine on my XP machine, has for a year.

But your powered hub suggestion is excellent. My thought is that the
keyboard pulls more power at start-up than the KVM can supply.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Well, its Belkin's nonsense, not mine. It does suggest that there may be
driver incompatibility issues, exacerbated by the fact that even they
don't know which systems their own products work on.

But your powered hub suggestion is excellent. My thought is that the
keyboard pulls more power at start-up than the KVM can supply.

That'll eliminate the power supply issues. USB power compatibility is
pretty well defined and I didn't see whether the keyboard requires more
than 100mA or the KVM is limited to that level. Absent anything in the
spec., you could make a USB cable that breaks out the +5V line and see
what it draws.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Life is like an analogy.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On 2007-07-30, Jim Thompson wrote:
What does it mean when all three LED's (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll
Lock) on a keyboard blink together?

either the host is rebooting the keyboard repeatedly or it's blinking
the leds on purpose.

It doesn't happen on all the systems I plug it into, just one.

I'm guessing maybe the one host system can't support the keyboard
power ????

Is there anything special about that system? does a different
keyboard work?

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On 2007-07-30, Jim Thompson wrote:

I got it to work by resetting the KVM WITHOUT its own power unit
unplugged, so that power only came via the host PC's.

Maybe it IS a bad (as in too high a current) keyboard??

From the other posts it looks like that device doesn't support the HID
standard and is a keyboard shaped proprietry device.

Unless you can get drivers for the KVM (something I seriously doubt)
it's not going to work.

Bye.
Jasen

LED moving message sign programmed with IR keyboard: Missing keyboard...possible solutions? 427Cobraman Electronics Repair 5 October 26th 06 02:15 AM
Just in case: (cherry keyboard pinout) - it was: help on soldering a 5 pin din connector to a keyboard Lotas Electronics Repair 0 June 9th 06 11:27 AM
dishwasher diagnosis p cooper UK diy 7 March 4th 06 11:43 AM
Television diagnosis please Electronics 6 November 11th 05 11:42 PM
Electric diagnosis Ken Home Repair 5 December 23rd 03 03:28 PM