Electronics (alt.electronics)

Default Television diagnosis please

My 27", 10+ year old Sony is doing the following. When I turn it on it
takes longer than normal for the picture to appear. It occasionally gets
dim very gradually to the point where you can barely see a picture, then it
very gradually comes back to full brightness. This happens intermittently.
Any clues as to what is failing?

Thanks.

DBLEXPOSURE

wrote in message news:9Y_Ze.9852$L15.8248@trndny01...

My 27", 10+ year old Sony is doing the following. When I turn it on it
takes longer than normal for the picture to appear. It occasionally gets
dim very gradually to the point where you can barely see a picture, then
it
very gradually comes back to full brightness. This happens
intermittently.
Any clues as to what is failing?

Thanks.

Without getting in and tracing video path it is difficult to say. Could be
power supply problem or a tuner module. Never the less, if you take to a
shop for repair it's $50.00 labor most likely plus parts. If it turns out
being a $0.50 capacitor then you can fix it for around $50.00 If it is a
tuner mod. or large component, $80.00 - $100.00

Might be time to upgrade...

Coyoteboy

Wouldnt bother gettig a Sony place to quote on it, so far ive had 3
items from Sony which went wrong, all of which i was quoted more than
the original buying price of the item to repair!

Skype_man

Bad connections in the filiament circuit feeding
the picture tube (to light it up). The tiny board
on the neck of the crt tube, or a connection, or
resistor feeding it right by the flyback transformer.

FRIK

"Skype_man" wrote in message
Bad connections in the filiament circuit feeding
the picture tube (to light it up). The tiny board
on the neck of the crt tube, or a connection, or
resistor feeding it right by the flyback transformer.

..... or the tubes filament has become intermittantly open circuit.
Heats up and goes open circuit, once open circuit the filament turns off
until it makes contact again and heats up again.

I've had this problem twice in ten years that I can remember.

Use a power supply connected directly to the filament connection on the
tubes neck. Place an ameter in series. Power the tube up and monitor it.

My 27", 10+ year old Sony is doing the following. When I turn it on it
takes longer than normal for the picture to appear. It occasionally gets
dim very gradually to the point where you can barely see a picture, then it
very gradually comes back to full brightness. This happens intermittently.
Any clues as to what is failing?

Could be all sorts of things. Poor tube base conenction, poor LOPTF
connection, failing component, bad video pot, arcing 2/4kV, arcing or
burnt EHT, PSU, proabbly 100 different things.

I'd start by monitoring the CRT pins (but NOT the ones that go over
1kV) and seeing which circuit goes amiss when it fades. But if you dont
know this already, you betetr not, TVs contain several potentially
lethal issues.

NT