Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Cleaning Scanner Glass (Inside) hp3970

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:39:12 -0700, JackShephard
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 04:44:52 GMT, D from BC
wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:29:40 -0700, JackShephard
wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:07:30 GMT, D from BC
wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 09:44:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:33:05 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:44:45 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone know how to dismantle and clean an hp3970?

I've developed a foggy looking coating on the _inside_ :-(

...Jim Thompson

The manual says:

For instructions on cleaning the underside of the scanner glass, go to
www.hp.com/support, select your country or region, navigate to the
support page for your scanner, then click the link to view information
about cleaning the underside of the glass.

So they at least promise to supply the information, and a support
request might be honored.

Here's info from a different HP scanner:
----------
If the 6200C is like the 6100C, which is mechanically similar
to my 4C ...
0. Disconnect power. Take anti-static precautions.
1. Remove the auto-feed assembly.
This should expose the rear Torx screwheads.
2. Remove the metal covers over the 2 front Torx screw heads.
3. Remove the screws and lift off the upper case w/glass.
4. Clean and replace.

Search the net for further platen glass cleaning advice.
--
Regards, Bob Niland private.php?do=newpm&u=
-----------

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

All I find on the absolutely worthless hp site is instructions to
disconnect power before wiping the outer surface of the glass ;-)

...Jim Thompson

If you get impatient and you're feeling destructive
And... the scanner is slow and old and it's time to get a new one then
do this risky thing:
1) Put duct tape on the glass
2) Turn it upside down and smash the glass with hammer
3) Replace glass with something cut by a glass shop
4) Silicone the new glass in place..
Note: You could also devise a means to make the glass easy to remove
for future cleaning. (drop in frame..)
The fog up might return.
D from BC

Are you really so stupid as to think that duct tape would stop glass
shards from getting all over the inside of the device?

That is more retarded than your Intellectual Property theft spew was.

The duct tape helps but is not 100%.
That's why I suggested also turning the scanner upside down and then
cracking the glass enough such that it can be pulled away.

I did a very brief search for replacement glass.
http://www.anchoroptics.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=273

Great prices. I was impressed, and thought the numbers would be much
higher.

If you don't like the duct tape idea then how about this EVEN crazier
idea!!

Take a circular saw and cut off the entire top of the scanner.
Clean the glass and then glue the top back on.....

You're nuts. You should have, at the very least, said "dremel tool".

Oh! oh! ..I gotta add an improvement..
A table saw!!!
Yeah...
The blade can be adjusted just enough to through the plastic..
The fence will make nice parallel cuts.
Just treat the whole scanner like a log at the saw mill.. :P
Keep rotating the scanner until all sides are cut.
Clean the glass..
Then find a rubber molding to join the top back on.

A dremel will wander all over and make crooked/melted cuts..
D from BC
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Not if you use the sawtooth bit, and a guide jig.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

[sci.electronics.repair added]
On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:44:45 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone know how to dismantle and clean an hp3970?

I've developed a foggy looking coating on the _inside_ :-(

Never worked on HP scanners, but I've fixed Canons & various other
brands plenty of times, & the usual steps to dissasemble go something
like this:

* Hold lid by sides & lift until the supports pop out of the slots.

* Look for a retaining strip in the area that was covered by the hinge
of the lid.

* If present, unscrew / unclip to reveal one end of the glass lid.
CAREFULLY lift open end above case & slide out.
* Goto: CLEANING.

* Otherwise, place scanner upside down on SOFT SURFACE, grab a torch,
& look under unit for round screw slots or square/rectangular
retaining-clip slots. Remove screws or 'pop' clips with long,
flatblade screwdriver.

* If it uses clips, it's usually neccessary to apply a little tension
between the halves of the shell while 'popping' the clips/hooks to
keep them released. I use tongue-depressers or similar to keep the
halves from 'clicking' back together while I'm doing the other clips.

When the case is split, it should be easy to figure out how the cover
glass is being retained. Wearing clean gloves, remove glass
*CAREFULLY*.

CLEANING:

* Put on a pair of lint-free white cotton gloves, or a pair of clean
rubber gloves.
* Place glass on clean towel, folded several times.
* Spray Windex or similar ammonia-based glass cleaner on a clean lens
cloth or similar soft, *lint-free* cloth.
* Clean top side with damp cloth, dry with a *different* cloth.
* Flip glass, touching only the sides.
* Clean this side, as above.

* Slide glass slowly & carefully back into the case, in exactly the
reverse of the way you removed it. With some cases, it can be useful
to tie a ribbon or similar around the glass first, so you can support
it with your other hand, so it can't fall inside the case if you slip,
etc. Using your gloved finger, make sure the glass is seated solidly,
& flat, as it's not always obvious, & a bad fit will give you poorly
focussed/blurred scans.

* Without removing your gloves, reassemble the unit.

* Test. (Duh.)

--
W "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
. | ,. w ,
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Lionel" wrote in message

* Otherwise, place scanner upside down on SOFT SURFACE, grab a torch,

Flashlight. A propane torch is too extreme.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Lionel" wrote in message

* Otherwise, place scanner upside down on SOFT SURFACE, grab a torch,

Flashlight. A propane torch is too extreme.

That was what first came to my mind as well. I thought he was going to melt
the clips apart.