Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default repost: former fets - ExFets.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
repost: former fets - ExFets.jpg-exfets-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , John Larkin
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (ExFets.jpg) was included here. ]

Brings back memories. Wish I'd got pics from when I used to repair PSUs.
One PSU (DEskpro 386N IIRC) used two IRFP450 FETs mounted on some nice
3/16" (approx) thick aluminium heatsinks. These devices have a failure
mode that shoots molten metal out of the back of the FET package through
the copper back and clean through the thermal pad and heatsink as well,
welding itself to the heatsink in the process. We used to be *very*
careful when powering these up after a repair.

Clint Sharp
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:36:48 +0100, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , John Larkin
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (ExFets.jpg) was included here. ]

Brings back memories. Wish I'd got pics from when I used to repair PSUs.
One PSU (DEskpro 386N IIRC) used two IRFP450 FETs mounted on some nice
3/16" (approx) thick aluminium heatsinks. These devices have a failure
mode that shoots molten metal out of the back of the FET package through
the copper back and clean through the thermal pad and heatsink as well,
welding itself to the heatsink in the process. We used to be *very*
careful when powering these up after a repair.

Clint Sharp

I've seen TO-3's with holes burned through the metal can top. Wish I'd
taken pics.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message

In message , John Larkin
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (ExFets.jpg) was included here. ]

Brings back memories. Wish I'd got pics from when I used to repair
PSUs. One PSU (DEskpro 386N IIRC) used two IRFP450 FETs mounted on
some nice 3/16" (approx) thick aluminium heatsinks. These devices
have a failure mode that shoots molten metal out of the back of the
FET package through the copper back and clean through the thermal pad
and heatsink as well, welding itself to the heatsink in the process.
We used to be *very* careful when powering these up after a repair.

Sounds like a shaped charge anti-armor weapon.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Looking For Linear sytems LS843 Dual J Fets Gary Electronics 0 October 12th 05 08:47 PM
WANTED Linear Systems LS840/843 Dual Fets Gary Electronics 0 September 29th 05 09:26 PM
Transistors Checking Troubleshooting - BJTs, FETs [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 April 1st 05 11:32 PM
Super-It fets Bob Electronics Repair 1 December 27th 04 11:47 AM
Yamaha B-2 Power Amplifier V-fets Wanted Gary Electronics 0 September 22nd 04 09:24 PM