Default Transistors Checking Troubleshooting - BJTs, FETs

How do I check if a transistor is working using a multimeter - both
BJTs and FETs? How will I know if it's shorted etc? Also, for a BJT
how will I know the emitter, base and collector by using a multimeter?

Thanks,
GN

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Leon Heller
wrote (in
) about 'Transistors
Checking Troubleshooting - BJTs, FETs', on Thu, 31 Mar 2005:
The (forward-biased) resistance of the base-collector junction is
usually lower than that for the base-emitter junction. The difference
is quite small, though.

I use a wet finger between base and emitter both to identify the emitter
and get a rough idea of beta from how much collector current results.
Then reverse the (assumed) emitter and collector connections and apply
the same wet finger. Less current means reverse beta applies.
'What is a Moebius strip?'
NSM

wrote in message
ups.com...
How do I check if a transistor is working using a multimeter - both
BJTs and FETs? How will I know if it's shorted etc? Also, for a BJT
how will I know the emitter, base and collector by using a multimeter?

You need a 100K resistor. Find out the polarity of your analog multimeter on
ohms. Connect it correctly from collector to emitter. Now add the resistor
from collector to base. Note the two readings.

Charles Schuler

I use a wet finger between base and emitter both to identify the emitter
and get a rough idea of beta from how much collector current results. Then
reverse the (assumed) emitter and collector connections and apply the same
wet finger. Less current means reverse beta applies.

A wet finger across the base-collector terminals will turn a good device on
and the ohmmeter reading will drop accordingly (assuming the ohmmeter is
connected across C-E with the correct polarity for NPN or PNP).

Fritz Schlunder

wrote in message
ups.com...
How do I check if a transistor is working using a multimeter - both
BJTs and FETs? How will I know if it's shorted etc? Also, for a BJT
how will I know the emitter, base and collector by using a multimeter?

You can generally get a good idea of a MOSFET's condition by making a simple
resistance measurement between the gate and source leads. The MOSFET's gate
oxide is quite thin and fragile, so if the MOSFET fails one of the
consequences will be that it will normally damage the gate oxide (even if
the gate itself wasn't abused by excessive voltage). A failed MOSFET will
normally measure 1k ohms between gate and source. These failed MOSFETs
will also normally exhibit low resistance from drain to source as well. A
good MOSFET's gate to source resistance will measure somewhere in the
megohms to infinity range.

There are exceptions to this however. Sometimes the failure (especially in
the case of power MOSFETs used in such a way that if they fail large
currents flow) is so catastrophic that internal fusing can occur. Sometimes
enough transient power can be dissipated in the device to physically blow
the plastic package apart, physically separating one of the leads from the
die. In these types of failures the above mentioned resistance test may
read infinity even though the device is definitely broken. In my experience
these types of failures are relatively uncommon compared to more mundane
failures which simply result in low resistance shorts between the three
pins. When they do fail like this it is often obvious since the plastic
package has literally blown apart or has otherwise suffered evident trauma.

In one case I found a 2N7000 MOSFET that failed by means of a parametric
shift. The drain to source became very leaky (comparable to a 100k ohm
resistor) even though the gate was fully intact. The device still worked
fine, besides the extra leakage. The leakage current could be reduced by
driving the gate with negative gate-source potential, but still not
completely turned off. I have no idea what might have happened to this
device to cause this failure. Nevertheless I think this is a very rare
failure mode which you shouldn't normally need to worry about.

Asimov

"John Woodgate" bravely wrote to "All" (31 Mar 05 22:29:51)
--- on the heady topic of " Transistors Checking Troubleshooting - BJTs,
FETs"

JW From: John Woodgate
JW Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:44620

JW I use a wet finger between base and emitter both to identify the
JW emitter and get a rough idea of beta from how much collector current
JW results. Then reverse the (assumed) emitter and collector connections
JW and apply the same wet finger. Less current means reverse beta
JW applies. --

I use a variation of this tip to get a relative indication of
transistor action. Simply connect an analog ohmmeter leads, on highest
ohms range, to polarize the collector and emitter while leaving the
base floating. Then, without touching the other pins, lightly touch
the base terminal and watch the indication on the meter scale. The
higher the gain the higher the deflection. The idea is that the
base-emitter junction rectifies the ambient RF field picked up by your
body and results in a collector current through the ohmmeter.
Clearly not as intuitive with a DMM.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... When I was your age, we carved transistors out of wood.

Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:06:38 -0500, Keith Williams
put finger to keyboard and composed:

In article . com,
says...
How do I check if a transistor is working using a multimeter - both
BJTs and FETs? How will I know if it's shorted etc? Also, for a BJT
how will I know the emitter, base and collector by using a multimeter?

BJTs are easy: A BJT will look like two diodes (Base-Emitter and Base -
collector). Find the common lead. That's your base. If the
transistor conducts ('+' to '-') from the base to the other two, it's
an NPN. If it conducts the other way it's a PNP. If it conducts both
ways or neither, pitch it.

Before discarding them, be aware that some transistors have a diode
between collector and emitter, while others have resistors between the
base and emitter. Then there are digital transistors ...

- Franc Zabkar
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Charles Schuler
wrote (in
) about 'Transistors Checking
Troubleshooting - BJTs, FETs', on Thu, 31 Mar 2005:

I use a wet finger between base and emitter both to identify the emitter
and get a rough idea of beta from how much collector current results. Then
reverse the (assumed) emitter and collector connections and apply the same
wet finger. Less current means reverse beta applies.

A wet finger across the base-collector terminals will turn a good device on
and the ohmmeter reading will drop accordingly (assuming the ohmmeter is
connected across C-E with the correct polarity for NPN or PNP).

Sorry, my article is screwy. THIS is what I should have written:

I use a wet finger between base and COLLECTOR both to identify the
collector and get a rough idea of beta from how much collector current
results. Then reverse the meter connections and apply the same wet
finger between base and what you believe is the emitter. Less current
means reverse beta applies.
'What is a Moebius strip?'

Wouter van Ooijen

How do I check if a transistor is working using a multimeter - both
BJTs and FETs? How will I know if it's shorted etc? Also, for a BJT
how will I know the emitter, base and collector by using a multimeter?

dunno for fets. for BJTs first measure the diodes to distinguish PNP
and NPN. Now you should know which lead is the B. Choose E and C. Use
resistance measurement between E and C. Should be high. Put your
finger on B and E. Resistance should be lower. Exchange E and C choice
and repeat. Lowest resistance is the correct E and C.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl
Webshop for PICs and other electronics
http://www.voti.nl/hvu
Teacher electronics and informatics
Harry Dellamano

wrote in message
ups.com...
How do I check if a transistor is working using a multimeter - both
BJTs and FETs? How will I know if it's shorted etc? Also, for a BJT
how will I know the emitter, base and collector by using a multimeter?

Thanks,
GN

I am surprised no one mentioned how easy it is to test a MOSFET with a
DVM.
First you must have a DVM that's open circuit voltage in diode mode is
greater than the Vgs(th) of the device you are testing. I have a Fluke DVM
that puts out 3.55 VDC which works for all MOSFETS that I have tested. Also
remember that the gate has large capacity to the other pins such that it
will store the last potential that was forced on it.

P to S + N to G open
P to S + N to D diode (0 .70V)
N to S + P to G open
N to S + P to D Ron

Harry

John Bachman

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:46:47 GMT, (Wouter van Ooijen
(
www.voti.nl)) wrote:

How do I check if a transistor is working using a multimeter - both
BJTs and FETs? How will I know if it's shorted etc? Also, for a BJT
how will I know the emitter, base and collector by using a multimeter?

dunno for fets. for BJTs first measure the diodes to distinguish PNP
and NPN. Now you should know which lead is the B. Choose E and C. Use
resistance measurement between E and C. Should be high. Put your
finger on B and E. Resistance should be lower. Exchange E and C choice
and repeat. Lowest resistance is the correct E and C.

You might consider the nifty little component tester by Peak at
www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/atlas.htm It tests all those
components, figures out the lead configuration for you and performs an
actual test of the device, not just continuity.

John

krw

In article ,
VEcom says...
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:46:47 GMT,
(Wouter van Ooijen
(
www.voti.nl)) wrote:

How do I check if a transistor is working using a multimeter - both
BJTs and FETs? How will I know if it's shorted etc? Also, for a BJT
how will I know the emitter, base and collector by using a multimeter?

dunno for fets. for BJTs first measure the diodes to distinguish PNP
and NPN. Now you should know which lead is the B. Choose E and C. Use
resistance measurement between E and C. Should be high. Put your
finger on B and E. Resistance should be lower. Exchange E and C choice
and repeat. Lowest resistance is the correct E and C.

You might consider the nifty little component tester by Peak at
www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/atlas.htm It tests all those
components, figures out the lead configuration for you and performs an
actual test of the device, not just continuity.

There is also the el-cheapo multi-tester from Harbor Freight. I picked
up three (one for the brat, two to throw in various tool boxes) this
one for $2.99 each. I just got them last night, so I haven't tried the
transistor tester yet. They certainly aren't Flukes, but for $3 they
seem to work ok.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search
Search for 90899-1RGH. If you order it with the number 90899-1RGH from
their ex-tree catalog (rather than what shows up on the search above)
they're $2.99 each.

--
Keith

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl)"
wrote (in ) about
'Transistors Checking Troubleshooting - BJTs, FETs', on Fri, 1 Apr
2005:
dunno for fets. for BJTs first measure the diodes to distinguish PNP
and NPN. Now you should know which lead is the B. Choose E and C. Use
resistance measurement between E and C. Should be high. Put your finger
on B and E.

Shouldn't that be 'B and C'?

Resistance should be lower. Exchange E and C choice and repeat. Lowest
resistance is the correct E and C.

'What is a Moebius strip?'

Thanks everybody for your help.

GN