DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   repost: former fets - ExFets.jpg (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/209588-repost-former-fets-exfets-jpg.html)

John Larkin May 15th 07 04:58 AM

repost: former fets - ExFets.jpg

1 Attachment(s)

Clint Sharp May 15th 07 07:36 PM

repost: former fets - ExFets.jpg

In message , John Larkin
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (ExFets.jpg) was included here. ]

Brings back memories. Wish I'd got pics from when I used to repair PSUs.
One PSU (DEskpro 386N IIRC) used two IRFP450 FETs mounted on some nice
3/16" (approx) thick aluminium heatsinks. These devices have a failure
mode that shoots molten metal out of the back of the FET package through
the copper back and clean through the thermal pad and heatsink as well,
welding itself to the heatsink in the process. We used to be *very*
careful when powering these up after a repair.

Clint Sharp

John Larkin May 15th 07 09:13 PM

repost: former fets - ExFets.jpg

On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:36:48 +0100, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , John Larkin
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (ExFets.jpg) was included here. ]

Brings back memories. Wish I'd got pics from when I used to repair PSUs.
One PSU (DEskpro 386N IIRC) used two IRFP450 FETs mounted on some nice
3/16" (approx) thick aluminium heatsinks. These devices have a failure
mode that shoots molten metal out of the back of the FET package through
the copper back and clean through the thermal pad and heatsink as well,
welding itself to the heatsink in the process. We used to be *very*
careful when powering these up after a repair.

Clint Sharp

I've seen TO-3's with holes burned through the metal can top. Wish I'd
taken pics.

John

Tom Del Rosso May 17th 07 11:02 PM

repost: former fets - ExFets.jpg

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message

In message , John Larkin
writes

[ A UUEncoded file (ExFets.jpg) was included here. ]

Brings back memories. Wish I'd got pics from when I used to repair
PSUs. One PSU (DEskpro 386N IIRC) used two IRFP450 FETs mounted on
some nice 3/16" (approx) thick aluminium heatsinks. These devices
have a failure mode that shoots molten metal out of the back of the
FET package through the copper back and clean through the thermal pad
and heatsink as well, welding itself to the heatsink in the process.
We used to be *very* careful when powering these up after a repair.

Sounds like a shaped charge anti-armor weapon.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.