Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Transformer drawing 1 amp--From SED

Here are some scope pictures from a transformer under various conditions.
The pictures show the primary current of the transformer.

Picture 1 is normal unloaded primary current with 120 VAC applied. You can
see the onset of core saturation.

Picture 2 is with 145 VAC applied to the primary. The core is well into
saturation.

Picture 3 is primary current with 120 VAC applied, but with a single
shorted turn of 21 gauge wire around the center leg.

Picture 4 is primary current with 120 VAC applied and with a single turn of
14 gauge wire around the center leg.

This test could help detect a shorted turn.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Pic1.bmp (14.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: bmp Pic2.bmp (14.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: bmp Pic3.bmp (14.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: bmp Pic4.bmp (14.7 KB, 58 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

These are the what I got from my scope. The variac's readings might be off.
It looks like it might be +5 to 10 volts higher than what the file names
say. The variac does have an AC volt meter on it but it its 10V more than
what the dial says. My DMM reads 5V more than the dial.

Thanks,
Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Transformer drawing 1 amp--From SED-130v-gif  Transformer drawing 1 amp--From SED-100v-gif  Transformer drawing 1 amp--From SED-110v-gif  Transformer drawing 1 amp--From SED-120v-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:13:31 GMT, "Bob Jones"
wrote:

These are the what I got from my scope. The variac's readings might be off.
It looks like it might be +5 to 10 volts higher than what the file names
say. The variac does have an AC volt meter on it but it its 10V more than
what the dial says. My DMM reads 5V more than the dial.

Thanks,
Bob

You saw in the scope pix I posted that a single shorted turn overwhelms
the peaky current peaks caused by saturation. It still is possible that
you have a high resistance short, but that wouldn't produce much heat if it
were the case.

If you have some wire you could slip through a small space (if there is
any!) and get a turn around the center leg of the transformer, you could do
what I did and look at the primary current when you short a single turn.

Based on the scope pix, I don't think you have a shorted turn. I think
you have a cheap transformer.

In addition to running the core into saturation, it's probably a cheap
grade of iron, such as M19 instead of M6. This could help account for the
high current draw and the high temperature of the core even at no-load.

new infill drawing what do you think? Steve knight Woodworking 2 May 18th 06 05:57 AM
funny drawing softwaScreenPen,drawing directly on screen! [email protected] Metalworking 1 February 4th 06 10:24 PM
Using 3ph transformer as single pahse transformer stanley baer Metalworking 5 November 9th 05 05:10 AM
drawing tip needed? Craig UK diy 8 March 15th 05 08:10 PM
Drawing packages? T i m UK diy 9 September 5th 04 12:42 PM