Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need source for wood strips

I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximqtely 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some of
the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I can't
locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the chair.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Windwatcher" wrote:
I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximqtely 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some of
the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I can't
locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the chair.

".15 mm thick" ? Zero-point-one-five millimeters? Less than 6/1000 of an inch?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "Windwatcher"
wrote:
I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximqtely 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some of
the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I can't
locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the chair.

".15 mm thick" ? Zero-point-one-five millimeters? Less than 6/1000 of an
inch?

that could explain why they are broken. someone sneezed hard on them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 5:40 pm, "Windwatcher" wrote:
I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximqtely 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some of
the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I can't
locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the chair.

Thanks in advance.

Your local lumberyard or home center will have something similar to
1/4" x 1" called, funnily enough, lattice. Glue two of them together
and you have 12 mm, glue a piece of veneer or two in between to make a
sandwich 15 mm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:40:11 -0800, "Windwatcher"
wrote:

I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximqtely 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some of
the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I can't
locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the chair.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.refinishfurniture.com/cat_wicker.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximqtely 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some of
the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I can't
locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the chair.

".15 mm thick" ? Zero-point-one-five millimeters? Less than 6/1000 of an
inch?

Why not just use paper? It's a wood product and about the right thickness

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Mar 4, 5:40 pm, "Windwatcher" wrote:
I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximqtely 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some of
the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I can't
locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the chair.

Thanks in advance.

Your local lumberyard or home center will have something similar to
1/4" x 1" called, funnily enough, lattice. Glue two of them together
and you have 12 mm, glue a piece of veneer or two in between to make a
sandwich 15 mm.

That would be .15 mm not 15 mm. And I am guessing probably 1.5 mm LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 8:19 am, "Leon" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Mar 4, 5:40 pm, "Windwatcher" wrote:
I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximqtely 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some of
the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I can't
locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the chair.

Thanks in advance.

Your local lumberyard or home center will have something similar to
1/4" x 1" called, funnily enough, lattice. Glue two of them together
and you have 12 mm, glue a piece of veneer or two in between to make a
sandwich 15 mm.

That would be .15 mm not 15 mm. And I am guessing probably 1.5 mm LOL

Well, we've all seen ladder back (apparently aka lattice back) chairs,
so you know what the OP is talking about. The thing I found curious
wasn't the odd bracketing of the 15mm with periods, but the use of
inches and mm in the same piece of wood. I don't like to _measure_
and now I have to do conversions on _one_ piece of wood...? Hoo boy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:45:45 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

Well, we've all seen ladder back (apparently aka lattice back) chairs,
so you know what the OP is talking about. The thing I found curious
wasn't the odd bracketing of the 15mm with periods, but the use of
inches and mm in the same piece of wood. I don't like to _measure_ and
now I have to do conversions on _one_ piece of wood...? Hoo boy.

Very common over here in the UK. Although we officially went metric
nearly 40 years ago, road signs and speed limits are still imperial. Cars
still do so many miles per gallon. (A proper gallon, though).

Lumber is still sold planed to 2x4 but in metric sizes so you actually
buy 2.4m of 96x44mm instead of an 8' 2x4. Ridiculous. And around $10
apiece for not-so-good pine as well, in small quantities :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Mar, 16:25, PCPaul wrote:
[...]

So your wood is measured in metric but your cash is measured in
dollars? g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 5, 4:25 pm, PCPaul wrote:
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:45:45 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

Well, we've all seen ladder back (apparently aka lattice back) chairs,
so you know what the OP is talking about. The thing I found curious
wasn't the odd bracketing of the 15mm with periods, but the use of
inches and mm in the same piece of wood. I don't like to _measure_ and
now I have to do conversions on _one_ piece of wood...? Hoo boy.

Very common over here in the UK. Although we officially went metric
nearly 40 years ago, road signs and speed limits are still imperial. Cars
still do so many miles per gallon. (A proper gallon, though).

Lumber is still sold planed to 2x4 but in metric sizes so you actually
buy 2.4m of 96x44mm instead of an 8' 2x4. Ridiculous. And around $10
apiece for not-so-good pine as well, in small quantities :-(

Yes, I understand that, but I've never seen a 2"x96mm and wondered
about the OP. Did he use two tape measures? Convert in his head?
These things keep me up at night.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:51:56 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 5 Mar, 16:25, PCPaul wrote:

Lumber is still sold planed to 2x4 but in metric sizes so you actually
buy 2.4m of 96x44mm instead of an 8' 2x4. Ridiculous. And around $10
apiece for not-so-good pine as well, in small quantities :-(

And around $10 apiece for not-so-good pine as well, in small
quantities

So your wood is measured in metric but your cash is measured in dollars?

;-) No, cash is measured in £'s but I know you leftpondians have trouble
with 'math' (and spellyng) so I almost-doubled it for you.

Having said that, for IT stuff and gadgets we pay £1 per $1 anyway by the
time it gets here :-(

And petrol is over £1 a *litre* now - $7.50+ per US Gallon.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:40:11 -0800, Windwatcher wrote:

I have a dining room chair with a lattice back made of wood strips
approximately 1" wide and about .15 mm. thick in a light finish. Some
of the strips are broken and I can see how to repair the back, but I
can't locate any strips. Any suggestions? I can send a photo of the
chair.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe something like this? Tech data states real wood, no backing and
either face out. 1/28" - 1/40" thick products available. Available at
most veneer suppliers.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=1224
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2214&cs=1

See the "applause" chair for use example;
http://www.marcykingdesigns.com/portfolio.php

Another weaving source;
http://basketmakers.com/topics/bytec...irseatmenu.htm