Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
RayV

Default How do I value furniture?

I have an old stickley table similar to the one in this pictu
http://www.angelikawesterhoffantiques.com/IM000839.JPG

It has some inlay work and a leather top. Any ideas on how I can find
out the value of it? I don't have a story to go with it so I can't go
on 'Antiques Roadshow'. It came with the first house I bought.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
RicodJour

RayV wrote:
I have an old stickley table similar to the one in this pictu
http://www.angelikawesterhoffantiques.com/IM000839.JPG

That table in the picture is an oval form and the dealer wants ~$14K
for it.

It has some inlay work and a leather top. Any ideas on how I can find
out the value of it? I don't have a story to go with it so I can't go
on 'Antiques Roadshow'. It came with the first house I bought.

I didn't know that Stickley made any veneered drum tables (shows you
what I know), but here it is, or at least something similar by
Stickley:
http://www.stickley.com/gallery/deta...m?id=2445&c=39

Drum tables (that's what I think you have - a round top and it rotates)
can be all over the map price-wise. In general, most drum mahogany
drum tables are worth a few or several hundred at auction. Stickley's
crafstman style stuff is off the charts, but I don't believe that's the
case with most of their other style furniture.

What will you use the value for? Insurance purposes or are you going
to try and sell it? Here's what's sold recently on eBay (note that
other people might not have listed it as a drum table - I'll leave the
search refinement to you):
http://search-completed.ebay.com/dru...Q2d1QQsbrsrtZd

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
RayV

It is similar to the one you linked to on the Stickley site, but the
top doesn't rotate. It has no wheels and one drawer.

I would probably sell it if it was worth a lot of money, otherwise it
can just sit there with whatever bowl or lamp SWMBO puts on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
Andy Dingley

On 7 Mar 2006 09:08:47 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

I have an old stickley table similar to the one in this pictu
http://www.angelikawesterhoffantiques.com/IM000839.JPG

What do you mean by "old Stickley" ? Old (traditional 1900-ish
Gustav-style) couldn't be further from that piece. The modern Stickley
company are making similar stuff, but it's certainly not "old" - nor is
it fetching the proces that genuine old Stickley does.

Any ideas on how I can find out the value of it?

You talk to someone local who knows furniture and can physically see it,
and then they tell you.

Why do you think it's Stickley ? Is it marked ? Does it have any of
Stickley's characteristic design features ? Is it listed in one of the
Stickley catalogues (reprints are a few bucks - if you don't have one,
you're really not doing your homework on this table).

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques

I'd call that a Duncan Fife style table.

In this case, the Stickley name adds little or no value to the piece.

If it's doing a good job of holding up lamps and bowls, keep it in the
job.

T.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
Kris Baker

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an old stickley table similar to the one in this pictu
http://www.angelikawesterhoffantiques.com/IM000839.JPG

It has some inlay work and a leather top. Any ideas on how I can find
out the value of it? I don't have a story to go with it so I can't go
on 'Antiques Roadshow'. It came with the first house I bought.

When did you buy that first house? Prior to 1970?

I grew up with a table just like that (color, apparent size, no
wheels, just one drawer, same hardware)....and ours came
from the S&H Green Stamps store, in the late 1950s or
early 1960s. I don't think that top is leather, is it? Ours
wasn't.

Ours wasn't Stickley...and that's not an example of "the" Stickley.

Kris

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
Beandout

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

Hey Andy,
Maybe you can help me out.You mentioned Stickley catalogues but going to
thier site reveals about 14 choices and I am truely at a loss here.I was
recently given a chair to sell at a yard sale. The chair belonged to my
grandmother so there is no question as to it's age....at least 70.It is a
small scale side chair with a thin thin back containing a heart shaped cut-
out.Stamped in the wood on the underside of the seat are the
words....Stickley,Fayetteville,Syracuse along with the number 5. There are
also 2 sets of 4 digit numbers in a greenish ink but they are nearly
unreadable. I am no antique buff. I only know not to sell anything at a
yard sale that looks antique, before investigating it. Any help or guidance
is appreciated.

Thank You,

Bean
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:04:27 GMT, Beandout wrote:

The chair belonged to my
grandmother so there is no question as to it's age....at least 70.

Got any pictures ?

Stamped in the wood on the underside of the seat are the
words....Stickley,Fayetteville,Syracuse along with the number 5.

Fayetteville is the other brothers L & JG Stickley (still going today),
rather than the more fashionable Gustav. They were both in Syracuse,
but Gustav a few miles away from Fayetteville in Eastwood.

It is a
small scale side chair with a thin thin back containing a heart shaped cut-
out.

Heart-shaped cutouts are interesting. They're more usually associated
with Limbert or Roycroft than Stickley, but the _very_ early (1898)
Gustav pieces like the Celandine table used it as a motif. Later
"Quaint" period Stickley after the peak of the Craftsman era also used
it. Your chair is probably one of these.

So, not one of the prime period or manufacturer pieces, but still highly
desirable.

There are
also 2 sets of 4 digit numbers in a greenish ink but they are nearly
unreadable.

"5" is probably a maker's or inspector's number and there could also be
a 3 or 4 digit pattern number on there.

Stickley is all pretty well documented. Many of the styles are still in
production today, preserving their original pattern numbers. There's
also a vast amount of information around, both in books and on the web.
Dover Pres have some good titles, including reprinted old catalogues.

It's also worth looking at the on-line sites of real auction houses -
not that other place. Try searching through Treadway Gallery,
webteek.com and similar - they have lots of photos on-line and you might
recognise it.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
Beandout

Andy,

I do have pictures. Can I e-mail them to you? I appreciate your help and
you certainly have provided much more info than I have been able to glean
from anybody else and I have yet to take the chair to any antique dealers
as I'm trying to have an idea of what I have here.

Thank you,
Bean
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:04:45 GMT, Beandout wrote:

I do have pictures. Can I e-mail them to you?

Can't promise anything, but I'd certainly be interested to see them.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
Beandout

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

Andy,

I've e-mailed some pics to the above address.

Bean

Indonesian Furniture Chris Woodworking 0 January 23rd 06 07:26 PM
Shop Furniture Materials & Joinery charlie b Woodworking 1 October 17th 05 05:24 PM
Best Leather furniture style store dealer Steve Home Ownership 1 November 25th 03 12:49 PM
Best place to buy your new leather furniture Steve Home Ownership 0 November 20th 03 02:02 AM
Pro vs Hobbyist Furniture Makers charlie b Woodworking 44 November 19th 03 07:08 PM