Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.antiques
RicodJour

Default How do I value furniture?

RayV wrote:
I have an old stickley table similar to the one in this pictu
http://www.angelikawesterhoffantiques.com/IM000839.JPG

That table in the picture is an oval form and the dealer wants ~$14K
for it.

It has some inlay work and a leather top. Any ideas on how I can find
out the value of it? I don't have a story to go with it so I can't go
on 'Antiques Roadshow'. It came with the first house I bought.

I didn't know that Stickley made any veneered drum tables (shows you
what I know), but here it is, or at least something similar by
Stickley:
http://www.stickley.com/gallery/deta...m?id=2445&c=39

Drum tables (that's what I think you have - a round top and it rotates)
can be all over the map price-wise. In general, most drum mahogany
drum tables are worth a few or several hundred at auction. Stickley's
crafstman style stuff is off the charts, but I don't believe that's the
case with most of their other style furniture.

What will you use the value for? Insurance purposes or are you going
to try and sell it? Here's what's sold recently on eBay (note that
other people might not have listed it as a drum table - I'll leave the
search refinement to you):
http://search-completed.ebay.com/dru...Q2d1QQsbrsrtZd