Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

Default OT, fire safety issue!

Received from a friend who is in the property insurance business. It
is
well worth reading. This is one of those e-mails that if you didn't
send
it, rest assured someone on your list will suffer for not
reading it.
The original message was written by a lady whose brother and
his wife
learned a hard lesson this past week.

Their house burned down.. .nothing left but ashes. They have good
insurance
so the house will be replaced and most of the contents. That is
the good
news. However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the
fire.
The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours.
He
had
the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked her
sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom. She listed the

normal
things....curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to her, "No,

this
would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures".

Then
her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in the

bathroom.
The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments. He said that was

the
cause of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started

with
the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. He said

the
plastic they are made from is THIN plastic.

He also said that in every case there was nothing left to prove that
it even
existed. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two
prongs
left from the plug-in were still in there. Her sister-in-law had
one of
the plug-ins that had a small night light built in it. She said she
had
noticed that the light would dim and then finally go out. She would
walk
in to the bathroom a few hours later, and the light would be back on
again. The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and
would
dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled
down
it would come back on. That is a warning sign . The investigator said
he
personally wouldn't have any type of plug in fragrance device
anywhere in
his house. He has seen too many places that have
been burned down due to them.
PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK. NOT ONLY
COULD
IT SAVE SOMEONE'S HOUSE, BUT IT COULD SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE.

~*IN GOD WE TRUST ~*BARBARA*~

Yahoo! Photos
Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

Again? Check out

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/glade.asp

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...

Received from a friend who is in the property insurance business. It
is
well worth reading. This is one of those e-mails that if you
didn't send
it, rest assured someone on your list will suffer for not
reading it.
The original message was written by a lady whose brother and
his wife
learned a hard lesson this past week.

Snipped

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...

Snip a bunch of stuff that is word for word from the snopes web site. At
best, there is no evidence to back up the rhetoric in the original post.
Snopes itself puts the claim in the category of "Undetermined", however the
devices are UL approved and no official fire investigations have proven the
devices to have been the cause of a fire.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

So sorry everyone, I was checking e-mail and saw this from a friend and
thought it was real. I didn't check to see if it was a hoax. I guess no one
before him checked it either. I won't let it happen again. Thanks to all for
setting the record straight.
Lyndell

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...

Received from a friend who is in the property insurance business. It
is
well worth reading. This is one of those e-mails that if you
didn't send

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article t,
Lyndell Thompson wrote:

So sorry everyone, I was checking e-mail and saw this from a friend and
thought it was real. I didn't check to see if it was a hoax. I guess no one
before him checked it either. I won't let it happen again. Thanks to all for
setting the record straight.

See http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/pearls-20060122.html
for my opinion.

;-)

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Lyndell Thompson wrote:

So sorry everyone, I was checking e-mail and saw this from a
friend and thought it was real. I didn't check to see if it was a
hoax. I guess no one before him checked it either. I won't let it
happen again. Thanks to all for setting the record straight.

Lyndell, afer a while, you'll be able to tell when one of those so-
called warnings are actually a hoax. People make those up for the
express purpose of getting well meaning (but gullible) people to
spread them around. For the most part they're just harmless pranks. I
get them forwarded to me from time to time by slightly naive friends.
One of my favorites was the KFC genetically modified chicken warning.
If you've not seen it, look it up.

The fact is that at one point or another EVERYONE is at least somewhat
fooled by such an email. You're not alone by any means. Soon you'll be
able to spot them on sight.

Joe Barta
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
He kept saying to her, "No,
this
would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures".

Then
her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in the

bathroom.
The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments. He said that was

the
cause of the fire.

Uh, did you stop to consider that an 'investigator' could not possibly
reach the conclusion that a fires was started by the freshener when
all he knew was that one was used in the bathroom?

He said he has seen more house fires started
with
the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else.

Considering the above, it woudl be no surprise if he concluded
that.

He said
the
plastic they are made from is THIN plastic.

Which would provide less thermal insulation, and therfor
run cooler than THICK plastic.

He also said that in every case there was nothing left to prove that
it even
existed. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two
prongs
left from the plug-in were still in there.

Note the first sentence says there would be no physical evidence,
the second says he found physical evidence.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK.

Aside form the considerations above, this last statment, ESPECIALLY IN
ALL CAPS, is a pretty clear indicator of hoax.

Then there is snopes.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
So sorry everyone, I was checking e-mail and saw this from a friend and
thought it was real. I didn't check to see if it was a hoax. I guess no one
before him checked it either. I won't let it happen again. Thanks to all for
setting the record straight.

Perhaps you would consider doing the internet a favor by sending
the hoax information to the person who sent the hoax to you,
and suggest he do the same.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:22:18 GMT, Joe Barta wrote:

Lyndell Thompson wrote:

So sorry everyone, I was checking e-mail and saw this from a
friend and thought it was real. I didn't check to see if it was a
hoax. I guess no one before him checked it either. I won't let it
happen again. Thanks to all for setting the record straight.

Lyndell, afer a while, you'll be able to tell when one of those so-
called warnings are actually a hoax. People make those up for the
express purpose of getting well meaning (but gullible) people to
spread them around. For the most part they're just harmless pranks. I
get them forwarded to me from time to time by slightly naive friends.
One of my favorites was the KFC genetically modified chicken warning.
If you've not seen it, look it up.

... hadn't seen that one before. Amazing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...
:
:
:
:
:
: Received from a friend who is in the property insurance
business. It
: is
: well worth reading. This is one of those e-mails that
if you didn't
: send
: it, rest assured someone on your list will suffer for
not
: reading it.
: ...

And also rest assured that when someone like me get it, it'll be
reported as the spam it is.

Done.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
light switches - safety issue? DarkHorse UK diy 87 March 30th 04 09:29 AM
Safety issue concerning the series light bulb trick Leo Meyer Electronics Repair 7 November 30th 03 04:11 PM
Extra wide door OLE DOC BONER Home Repair 7 September 6th 03 09:19 PM
Safety Issue - Am I being too picky RzB UK diy 2 July 4th 03 11:47 PM