Amy L.

Default Transition from tile to 9/16" inch wood floor

I am hoping someone can help me out with some idea's on how to ease the
transition from my 9/16th engineered wood flooring ( total height is around
11/16" due to foam underlayment and 6 mil poly vinyl) to tile which is
about 3/8" thick. I purchased some T-Molding (same type of wood as the
flooring), but because of the size difference between the two surfaces the
t-molding rocks between the two surfaces and no matter how you position it -
it looks just plain terrible because it does not fit due to the height
offsets.

The floor is being installed as floating so having the proper expansion gap
between the two surfaces is also important. I would love to use the
t-modling as it was fairly expensive and can't be returned since it was
special order. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated on how to solve this
problem.

Worst case scenario I may have to scap the t-modling and buy one of those
metal transistion peices as that would work in this case.

Amy

no(SPAM)vasys

Amy L. wrote:
[...]

You can see if there is a "reducer" or threshold trim available. See
the following link for ideas.

http://www.shawfloors.com/FloorChoic...edMoldings.asp

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
LRod

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 21:34:08 -0400, "Amy L." wrote:

I purchased some T-Molding (same type of wood as the flooring), but because
of the size difference between the two surfaces the t-molding rocks between
the two surfaces and no matter how you position it - it looks just plain terrible
because it does not fit due to the height offsets.

I would love to use the t-modling as it was fairly expensive and can't be
returned since it was special order. Any idea's would be greatly
appreciated on how to solve this problem.

Worst case scenario I may have to scap the t-modling and buy one of those
metal transistion peices as that would work in this case.

Your best bet (and one I'm going to have to employ myself, albeit for
different reasons) might be to either mill a transition strip from raw
lumber, or buy one of the unfinished ones from the borg and modify it.

Basically, you're looking at a dado on either side of a central rib,
with one dado being higher than the other, then a sloping top. One
slope will be to nearly a point (rests on the wood flooring) and the
other side will have a bit of a slope (perhaps equal to the other
side), then a vertical drop. It's not necessary to have it feather out
to nothing--there are lot's of places where a seemingly significant
transition is done. Think marble threshold, or any threshold, for that
matter.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Edwin Pawlowski

"LRod" wrote in message

Your best bet (and one I'm going to have to employ myself, albeit for
different reasons) might be to either mill a transition strip from raw
lumber, or buy one of the unfinished ones from the borg and modify it.

Basically, you're looking at a dado on either side of a central rib,
with one dado being higher than the other, then a sloping top. One
slope will be to nearly a point (rests on the wood flooring) and the
other side will have a bit of a slope (perhaps equal to the other
side), then a vertical drop.

Taking your scenario a step further, you can also buy matching (and
expensive) trim to the floor and modify that also. I had to do that in a
couple of places in my house when I put the flooring down.
________
/________ \ can become

___________
|_________\ I just glued it in place instead of having a center
vertical strip.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Amy L." wrote in message
This may just work - however what is the odds that the T-Modling is the
same color all the way through (brazilian cherry)?

Amy

Chances are slim as it is probably just a covering. You take the material
off the bottom, not the top so it will not matter. If you have to take some
of an exposed edge, dark stain will cover it and you'll never see the
difference.

Fred

Amy L. wrote:
I am hoping someone can help me out with some idea's on how to ease the
transition from my 9/16th engineered wood flooring ( total height is around
11/16" due to foam underlayment and 6 mil poly vinyl) to tile which is
about 3/8" thick. I purchased some T-Molding (same type of wood as the
flooring), but because of the size difference between the two surfaces the
t-molding rocks between the two surfaces and no matter how you position it -
it looks just plain terrible because it does not fit due to the height
offsets.

Any chance you could route an eighth inch off one side of the molding so
that it doesn't rock?
Fred