Wood Turn It Dont Burn It

Default Need Help Hollowing!!!

I am in the process of turning a, I think It's red cedar, vase and
would appreciate recomendations on how to hollow it. It is hour glass
shaped, 4in on top, 2 in at center and 3 1/2 at the base and is 10in
long. I have turned a spigot at the base and it's being held by a
OneWay Talon chuck. I have a 5/8 in hole drilled through the top center
to the base. I have tried using all of my tools I use for bowl work
(small scrapers, small gouges, parting tool) but I can only take micro
cuts without risking launching the vase. At that rate of removal, it
would take forever to complete. What can I use on this end grain to
hollow this sucker out. Your help is appreciated.

STEMO

George

If scraping, narrower scraper to diminish the force on you through the tool.
I'm sure you've seen the "standard" hollowing tools with a narrow scraper in
a long bar. If shaving with one of the newer tools like the woodcut which
limit shaving thickness, take thin shavings. In either case, clear often
and completely lest you wedge the bar/cutter with shavings and dig yourself
into the wall.

That said, hollowing 8-9" with a 1/2" bar is going to pose a challenge for
anyone.

My advice, start with hollowing wider openings and shallower depths. Walk
before you run. As I've mentioned, I like to bore and hollow initially with
pointed gouges, because with a mild nose-up shear, the shavings run down the
flute and don't jam the tool. The larger area hollowed by the gouge will
make either scraping or shaving easier afterward.

"Wood Turn It Dont Burn It" wrote in message
I am in the process of turning a, I think It's red cedar, vase and
would appreciate recomendations on how to hollow it. It is hour glass
shaped, 4in on top, 2 in at center and 3 1/2 at the base and is 10in
long. I have turned a spigot at the base and it's being held by a
OneWay Talon chuck. I have a 5/8 in hole drilled through the top center
to the base. I have tried using all of my tools I use for bowl work
(small scrapers, small gouges, parting tool) but I can only take micro
cuts without risking launching the vase. At that rate of removal, it
would take forever to complete. What can I use on this end grain to
hollow this sucker out. Your help is appreciated.

STEMO

Derek Hartzell

You may need to be using #3 jaws on your chuck for this deep a vase. A
steady rest would also be a great idea. A faceplate with glue block would
hold your vase more solidly.

An endgrain cutter like a hook tool or Oneway Termite would be good for
hollowing. Your typical tools probably won't work for this vase unless you
have some incredible technique. Also, you need to have a handle that is at
least 50% longer than the one on your bowl gouge to be safely cutting so far
over the toolrest. Time to buy a hollowing tool set or make shallower
vases 8" tall or under.

Derek

Woodcut tools 2000 Ltd sales

Woodcut have a video on hollowing free of charge if you want it (send your
address)
also check out my site for hollowing tool products
www.woodcut-tools.com

Ken

"Wood Turn It Dont Burn It" wrote in message
I am in the process of turning a, I think It's red cedar, vase and
would appreciate recomendations on how to hollow it. It is hour glass
shaped, 4in on top, 2 in at center and 3 1/2 at the base and is 10in
long. I have turned a spigot at the base and it's being held by a
OneWay Talon chuck. I have a 5/8 in hole drilled through the top center
to the base. I have tried using all of my tools I use for bowl work
(small scrapers, small gouges, parting tool) but I can only take micro
cuts without risking launching the vase. At that rate of removal, it
would take forever to complete. What can I use on this end grain to
hollow this sucker out. Your help is appreciated.

STEMO

David Wade

This begs the use of a faceplate held on with six or eight substantial
screws (min #10x1", better #12x1 1/2" if you have the wood to spare on
the base).

The problem is not so much the holding power of the check but the
integrity of the wood. You are engaging maybe 1/32" of wood across two
inches to hold against leverage that is maybe 8 or 10 inches away
(consider the engagement on only one side of the jaws, the other side is
the pivot point). The wood is probable giving away or compressing and
sliding through. It is true that larger jaws will improve your odds but
faceplates are cheaper and quite handy to have around.

Also recognize that the leverage you are exerting on the chuck's hold is
not so much based on the diameter, but moreso the distance you are from
the chuck.

(this may or may not translate for you)

This length----------
_____________________
| |
spindle | |
|_____________________|

versus ^

this jaw diameter is the lever factor to consider.

Your scraper may easily have a 5:1 advantage over the chuck. How thin of
a slice must you take not to overpower that 1/32" engagement? Sure, you
have more wood engaged in the chuck than with the scraper, but the chuck
must win the contest 100.0% of the time. Any single instant where the
scraper wins and you are chasing lumber around the shop.

Good luck, and try a face plate,
David
--
http://www.wademade.net

Wood Turn It Dont Burn It wrote:

I am in the process of turning a, I think It's red cedar, vase and
would appreciate recomendations on how to hollow it. It is hour glass
shaped, 4in on top, 2 in at center and 3 1/2 at the base and is 10in
long. I have turned a spigot at the base and it's being held by a
OneWay Talon chuck. I have a 5/8 in hole drilled through the top center
to the base. I have tried using all of my tools I use for bowl work
(small scrapers, small gouges, parting tool) but I can only take micro
cuts without risking launching the vase. At that rate of removal, it
would take forever to complete. What can I use on this end grain to
hollow this sucker out. Your help is appreciated.

STEMO

Leif Thorvaldson

Totally none applicable to the question, but I do have a counter-question as
to design? The base will be smaller in diameter than the top???? I am not an
artiste, but in my own small, provincial way would not try a design like
that, but then again, I never did care for Picasso! *G*

Leif
"Wood Turn It Dont Burn It" wrote in message
I am in the process of turning a, I think It's red cedar, vase and
would appreciate recomendations on how to hollow it. It is hour glass
shaped, 4in on top, 2 in at center and 3 1/2 at the base and is 10in
long. I have turned a spigot at the base and it's being held by a
OneWay Talon chuck. I have a 5/8 in hole drilled through the top center
to the base. I have tried using all of my tools I use for bowl work
(small scrapers, small gouges, parting tool) but I can only take micro
cuts without risking launching the vase. At that rate of removal, it
would take forever to complete. What can I use on this end grain to
hollow this sucker out. Your help is appreciated.

STEMO

Wood Turn It Dont Burn It

I would like to thank you all for your input on this and yeah I think
the face plate is the way to go. And yes Leif, I also questioned the
top dimension being larger than the base and what the SHMBO wants is
what I'll she'll get. Thanks again.

STEMO

JJ's new hollowing system Woodturning 0 May 18th 04 10:04 PM
Hollowing a Vessel Barry N. Turner Woodturning 10 November 12th 03 05:05 AM
Hollowing HobGobSnakyWaky Woodturning 5 July 29th 03 05:31 AM