George

Default Need Help Hollowing!!!

If scraping, narrower scraper to diminish the force on you through the tool.
I'm sure you've seen the "standard" hollowing tools with a narrow scraper in
a long bar. If shaving with one of the newer tools like the woodcut which
limit shaving thickness, take thin shavings. In either case, clear often
and completely lest you wedge the bar/cutter with shavings and dig yourself
into the wall.

That said, hollowing 8-9" with a 1/2" bar is going to pose a challenge for
anyone.

My advice, start with hollowing wider openings and shallower depths. Walk
before you run. As I've mentioned, I like to bore and hollow initially with
pointed gouges, because with a mild nose-up shear, the shavings run down the
flute and don't jam the tool. The larger area hollowed by the gouge will
make either scraping or shaving easier afterward.

"Wood Turn It Dont Burn It" wrote in message
I am in the process of turning a, I think It's red cedar, vase and
would appreciate recomendations on how to hollow it. It is hour glass
shaped, 4in on top, 2 in at center and 3 1/2 at the base and is 10in
long. I have turned a spigot at the base and it's being held by a
OneWay Talon chuck. I have a 5/8 in hole drilled through the top center
to the base. I have tried using all of my tools I use for bowl work
(small scrapers, small gouges, parting tool) but I can only take micro
cuts without risking launching the vase. At that rate of removal, it
would take forever to complete. What can I use on this end grain to
hollow this sucker out. Your help is appreciated.

STEMO