Delta lathe problem

Old December 5th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Delta lathe problem

I am a fair to average wood worker, but fairly new at turning. I picked up a
used Delta 46-700.

It appears to have a runout problem that gets worse with weight on the
spindle. I bought a new Barracuda Chuck and it really wobbles.

Is this a bearing problem? What is this going to cost to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Old December 5th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill said:

It appears to have a runout problem that gets worse with weight on the
spindle. I bought a new Barracuda Chuck and it really wobbles.

Is this a bearing problem? What is this going to cost to fix?

Probably, check the play by moving the shaft side to side and noting
the movement with a dial indicator or whatever. As for the cost, if
you're handy, about $22 for the bearings, which are generic. Look for
the number on the dust shield. From Delta they will probably be more
expensive. Bearings are available from sources such as MSC, Grainger,
you local automotive bearing dealer.

FWIW

Greg G.
Old December 5th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill wrote:
I am a fair to average wood worker, but fairly new at turning. I picked up a
used Delta 46-700.

It appears to have a runout problem that gets worse with weight on the
spindle. I bought a new Barracuda Chuck and it really wobbles.

Is this a bearing problem? What is this going to cost to fix?

Possibly, but first check that both the chuck and the flat contact surface on
the spindle are both clean. Any bit of dirt there will make the chuck appear
to wobble. Also try with a faceplate. I once bought a Teflon (?) washer to
use there, but any plastic will not be absolutely flat with parallel sides.
Even washers from the hardware store may not be absolutely flat.

--
Mike Vore
http://www.OhMyWoodness.com
Old December 5th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm

Bill,

I had the same lathe years ago. If you take off the plastic headstock cover
you will be shocked by how little cast iron there is under there. The cast
iron that holds the bearings may be cracked. I had a that problem and
ordered a new headstock from Delta for around $200.00 and it arrived cracked
also. When I finally got the lathe fixed I sold it asap.

cm