Default How much water softener salt to add?

Hi everyone

I can't find anything in the instructions or on the web about how much
salt to add to a domestic water softener.
(I have what I think is a Mistral C0817 cabinet with an 11 litre tank
with an Autotrol 255 valve)

Do people usually just bung in a 10 or 25kg bag every so often? If so,
how do you tell when you need to add more?

Does the salt need to be covered by the water in the brine tank or can
it be higher than the water?

Thanks

Richard

Simon Stroud

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone

I can't find anything in the instructions or on the web about how much
salt to add to a domestic water softener.
(I have what I think is a Mistral C0817 cabinet with an 11 litre tank
with an Autotrol 255 valve)

Do people usually just bung in a 10 or 25kg bag every so often? If so,
how do you tell when you need to add more?

Does the salt need to be covered by the water in the brine tank or can
it be higher than the water?

Thanks

Richard

As Andy has pointed out, the aim is to get a saturated brine. Normally the
water wouldn't cover the salt - I'd say that if the water is coming right up
over the salt then it's probably either time for a refill or your valve is a
bit faulty.

In my Prismertec, when more than about 1/8 full of salt, the water does NOT
cover the salt. When it went wrong a while ago (bypass valve stuck open)
this caused the flowrate of water into the salt/brine tank to be much higher
than normal and as a result the water came a LONG way up through the salt.
After I fixed the valve (replaced a broken spring) it went down to the
normal level.

I think they way to keep a minimum of about 4 inches of salt in there, and
there is a line somewhere I think.

It doesn't really matter how far up the water comes (will be dependent on
your resin capacity and brining time set on your valve) and water softerner
salt seems to be designed NOT to turn into a great big hard "ingot" of salt.
Mine takes granular but I assume tablet salt works similarly. With all the
gaps between the granules or tablets there is plenty of room for the brine
to drain away without leaving it all solid.

Regards,
Simon.

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
Water Softener Problems Gary Slusser Home Repair 0 July 21st 03 06:18 PM
Water softener and iron filter sanity check Ben Sandee Home Ownership 7 July 19th 03 08:05 PM
Kenmore water softener and clear water iron RikC Home Repair 2 July 5th 03 05:38 AM