mrcheerful

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 11 Mar 2005 13:31:24 -0800, wrote:

Hi everyone

I can't find anything in the instructions or on the web about how much
salt to add to a domestic water softener.
(I have what I think is a Mistral C0817 cabinet with an 11 litre tank
with an Autotrol 255 valve)

Do people usually just bung in a 10 or 25kg bag every so often? If so,
how do you tell when you need to add more?

THere is normally a line in the brine or salt storage compartment.

However, it is not that critical.

Does the salt need to be covered by the water in the brine tank or can
it be higher than the water?

THe principle is that the salt dissolves in the water to make a
saturated solution. For that purpose, it doesn't matter if the water
covers the salt or not. Some softeners have a valve adjustment to
control how much brine is used during the regeneration. and this may
adjust the water level.

When there is too little salt, you won't get a saturated solution and
the water will go hard.

Most softeners will take a 25kg bag of salt. Check the instructions
as to whether tablets, granular or block salt are required. Block
salt tends to be more expensive, and most softeners that are claimed
to need it, will actually accept tablets. One factor is whether there
is some form of filter that will prevent granular salt getting into
the valve brine intake

as long as there is still visible salt then there is enough