Lobster

Default Makeshift Victorian door

Thomas wrote:

I'd love to have a white Victorian door, as in the link below, but seeing as
I'm not allowed to replace the door, I was wondering if I could perhaps do
something to the inside side of the door to make it 'look' like a Victorian
door. Would it simply be a case of attaching some thin beading in the shape
of four oblongs? Or would that look really bad?

Well, you could do that - you'll find umpteen different styles of
beading at B&Q to choose from. You'd have to mitre the corners (ie, saw
them at 45 degrees).

You wouldn't be the first to do it, but personally I think it looks a
bit naff, because the panelled sections should be set into the door Up
to you and your personal preference at the end of the day though, isn't it?

Go down to B&Q and hold some suitable profiles of beading against one of
their flush doors, and get a feel for how it would look.

Is there any chance your landlord would let you temporarily replace the
door (ie store the original in the cellar/garage or similar and then
refit it when you leave)? Although hanging a new door from scratch
would be quite tricky for a complete beginner; much more so than glueing
on a few lengths of beading.

David
Owain

"Thomas" wrote
| I'd love to have a white Victorian door,

Victorian doors weren't white. They were painted in dark colours -- often
grained to give a faux wood effect.

Owain

Thomas

Victorian doors weren't white. They were painted in dark colours -- often
grained to give a faux wood effect.

Owain

Georgian, perhaps?

Thomas

Thomas wrote:
Before I start, I must confess that I don't know the slightest thing

about
diy!

I rent a room in a house but the landlord won't let me replace the

plain
door with one of my choice, because the outer side of the door

matches all
the other doors in the house. However, he has said that I can do

what I
want to the inside side of my door (if that makes sense).

I'd love to have a white Victorian door, as in the link below, but

seeing as
I'm not allowed to replace the door, I was wondering if I could

perhaps do
something to the inside side of the door to make it 'look' like a

Victorian
door. Would it simply be a case of attaching some thin beading in

the shape
of four oblongs? Or would that look really bad?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...11&paintCatId=

you forgot to show us what your door looks like now! In case you dont
reply, you can make recessed panels by attaching a sheet of ply with
panels cut out of it, and adding the usual victorian beading.

The pic you linked to looked like a pretty poor imitation of a Vic
door, so Im not that clear what youre after.

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Thomas wrote:
I'd love to have a white Victorian door, as in the link below, but
seeing as I'm not allowed to replace the door, I was wondering if I
could perhaps do something to the inside side of the door to make it
'look' like a Victorian door. Would it simply be a case of attaching
some thin beading in the shape of four oblongs? Or would that look
really bad?

I remember seeing a moulding kit in one of the sheds to do just this.
Saves having to make mitres if you're not used to them.

Of course it won't be exactly like a panelled door as the panels are
usually thinner than the door itself. But will be ok at a glance, and you
could enhance the effect by painting the panels a different colour from
the door.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Thomas" wrote
| I'd love to have a white Victorian door,

Victorian doors weren't white. They were painted in dark colours -- often
grained to give a faux wood effect.

That was my reaction - but I thought I'd wait to see if anyone who knew
better said it :-)

That B&Q door doesn't look anything like any Victorian door I've ever seen.

Mary

Owain

Pete C

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:08:33 -0000, "Thomas" wrote:

Before I start, I must confess that I don't know the slightest thing about
diy!

I rent a room in a house but the landlord won't let me replace the plain
door with one of my choice, because the outer side of the door matches all
the other doors in the house. However, he has said that I can do what I
want to the inside side of my door (if that makes sense).

Hi,

Might also be because it's a fire door, or supposed to look like one!

cheers,
Pete.
basil

[...]

Attatch a piece of hardboard to one side of a paneled door and hang
that.

BTW the door in the link is nothing to aspire to, it is finished in
hardboard pressed very roughly to the shape of panels. You'd be better
of with something solid, maybe reclaimed if you want it cheap.