AndyM

Default Halogen Lighting and Touch Dimmer compatiblity

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a halogen ceiling light from Ikea - "Fartyg" to be
precise, and a touch sensitive dimmer from B&Q
(http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...1&entryFlag=fa
lse&PRODID=170591&paintCatId=&maxBullets=999).

Are they compatible to use together?

The dimmer states it can be used with:
- Most dimmable electronic low voltage transformers (including those
requiring trailing-edge control)
- GU10 or similar HiSpot mains halogen bulbs
Not suitable for:
- Wire-wound or toridal transformers

How do I know what sort the light has? I've contacted Ikea but have yet to
get an answer.
What would happen if I were to use the two and they weren't compatible?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

BigWallop

AndyM wrote:
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a halogen ceiling light from Ikea - "Fartyg" to be
precise, and a touch sensitive dimmer from B&Q
(http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...1&entryFlag=fa
lse&PRODID=170591&paintCatId=&maxBullets=999).

Are they compatible to use together?

The dimmer states it can be used with:
- Most dimmable electronic low voltage transformers (including those
requiring trailing-edge control)
- GU10 or similar HiSpot mains halogen bulbs
Not suitable for:
- Wire-wound or toridal transformers

How do I know what sort the light has? I've contacted Ikea but have yet to
get an answer.
What would happen if I were to use the two and they weren't compatible?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

You say the light fitting has "GU10 or similar HiSpot mains halogen bulbs" so
they are mains voltage and not low voltage so a dimmer should be fine.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

AndyM

"BigWallop" wrote in message
news
AndyM wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, its the dimmer that supports the GU10 bulbs. The
light has 12V bulbs I think.

Andy

BigWallop

snipped
---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, its the dimmer that supports the GU10 bulbs. The
light has 12V bulbs I think.

Andy

Then you really need a dimmer which will be compatable with the transformer that
runs the light fitting. The most commonly used transformers now are electronic
types but there are still some which use either toroidial or parallel wire coil
windings, so you need to check which style transformer your light fitting works
from then choose a dimmer switch to suit it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help on the specific types because I don't know
which light fitting you have.

AndyM

"BigWallop" wrote in message
snipped
---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, its the dimmer that supports the GU10 bulbs.

The
light has 12V bulbs I think.

Andy

Then you really need a dimmer which will be compatable with the

transformer that
runs the light fitting. The most commonly used transformers now are

electronic
types but there are still some which use either toroidial or parallel wire

coil
windings, so you need to check which style transformer your light fitting

works
from then choose a dimmer switch to suit it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help on the specific types because I don't

know
which light fitting you have.

How would I tell the difference? If I took a photo would you be able to tell
me?

Andy

BigWallop

AndyM wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message
snipped

snipped again
Sorry I can't be of any more help on the specific types because I don't know
which light fitting you have.

How would I tell the difference? If I took a photo would you be able to tell
me?

Andy

The light fitting should tell you on a plate or sticker, or even on the side of
the box that it came in, so any info' from this will give an idea of what you'd
need.

AndyM

"BigWallop" wrote in message
AndyM wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message
snipped

snipped again
Sorry I can't be of any more help on the specific types because I don't

know
which light fitting you have.

How would I tell the difference? If I took a photo would you be able to

tell
me?

Andy

The light fitting should tell you on a plate or sticker, or even on the

side of
the box that it came in, so any info' from this will give an idea of what

you'd
need.

There's absolutely no indication of what sort of transformer it uses on the
box or light itself. Judging by the weight of it I'd assume there must be
some kind of wire coil inside.
I'm just going to take the dimmer back while its still under guarantee and
swap it for a standard switch. They don't seem to make touch switches for
low voltage lighting.

Thanks for your help

Andy