VisionSet

Default source of sealed units

Anyone know of a good source of realistically priced good quality sealed
units?

That is double glazed unit I can replace regular panes of glass with.

What sort of total thickness do these things have?

And what sort of price would I expect to pay?

--
Mike W

Scott

"VisionSet" wrote in message
news

Anyone know of a good source of realistically priced good quality sealed
units?

That is double glazed unit I can replace regular panes of glass with.

What sort of total thickness do these things have?

And what sort of price would I expect to pay?

I went to my local glass shop and they made me some up at a very reasonable
price.

I had 4 units made, 2 off 80x50mm and 2 off 50x50mm total price was £40
which I thought was reasonable. No doubt someone here will tell me I was
stung though! Go to a glass shop that also does double glazing, my shop
sells conservatories.

Total thickness was something like, 35mm, although I cannot really remember.

Scott

VisionSet

"Scott" wrote in message

"VisionSet" wrote in message
news

Anyone know of a good source of realistically priced good quality sealed
units?

That is double glazed unit I can replace regular panes of glass with.

What sort of total thickness do these things have?

And what sort of price would I expect to pay?

I went to my local glass shop and they made me some up at a very

reasonable
price.

I had 4 units made, 2 off 80x50mm and 2 off 50x50mm total price was £40
which I thought was reasonable. No doubt someone here will tell me I was
stung though! Go to a glass shop that also does double glazing, my shop
sells conservatories.

Total thickness was something like, 35mm, although I cannot really

remember.

35mm sounds very thick.
Are we talking about a glass unit that could be used to replace an existing
pane of glass, if the rebate were deep enough.
I guess I'm off to a non-start here, since I have 1930's windows with no
more than a 20mm rebate.
Just that the 1930's windows are sound, look nice and they knew how to
season wood in those days!

--
Mike W

Ian Stirling

Scott wrote:

"VisionSet" wrote in message
news

Anyone know of a good source of realistically priced good quality sealed
units?

That is double glazed unit I can replace regular panes of glass with.

What sort of total thickness do these things have?

And what sort of price would I expect to pay?

I went to my local glass shop and they made me some up at a very reasonable
price.

I had 4 units made, 2 off 80x50mm and 2 off 50x50mm total price was ?40
which I thought was reasonable. No doubt someone here will tell me I was
stung though! Go to a glass shop that also does double glazing, my shop
sells conservatories.

Utterly ripped off.
Why does a dollhouse need double glazing though?
Rory

VisionSet wrote:
35mm sounds very thick.
Are we talking about a glass unit that could be used to replace an existing
pane of glass, if the rebate were deep enough.
I guess I'm off to a non-start here, since I have 1930's windows with no
more than a 20mm rebate.
Just that the 1930's windows are sound, look nice and they knew how to
season wood in those days!

--
Mike W

Mine are 20mm total thickness - the 'spacer bar' in the middle is 12mm
and the glass is 4mm for each pane. The spacer bars come in other
thicknesses too.

I presume Scott's window sizes should be in cm, not mm, in which case
£40 all in was *very* good price.

chris French

In message , Rory
writes
VisionSet wrote:
35mm sounds very thick.
Are we talking about a glass unit that could be used to replace an existing
pane of glass, if the rebate were deep enough.
I guess I'm off to a non-start here, since I have 1930's windows with no
more than a 20mm rebate.
Just that the 1930's windows are sound, look nice and they knew how to
season wood in those days!
--
Mike W

Mine are 20mm total thickness - the 'spacer bar' in the middle is 12mm
and the glass is 4mm for each pane. The spacer bars come in other
thicknesses too.

I think I've seen (maybe even fitted) sealed units into wood frames of
14mm thickness. However, it's going to hard to fit even standard thin
sealed unit like that into a standard wooden single glazed frame
rebate. You need to allow for the space for sealant and the beading you
would normally use to fix them in place.

However I think I have heard of stepped sealed units - basically with
one pane larger than another. so the smaller pane goes on the inside -
protruding into the inside of the frame. Alternatively it may be
possible to rout out the rebate to make them deeper.

ISTR a one time regular poster Matthew mark did something like this to
some French windows. This link should get you started:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=fr...-i-y+author:Ma
tthew+author:marks
--
Chris French, Leeds
raden

In message , chris French
writes

However I think I have heard of stepped sealed units - basically with
one pane larger than another. so the smaller pane goes on the inside -
protruding into the inside of the frame. Alternatively it may be
possible to rout out the rebate to make them deeper.

ISTR a one time regular poster Matthew mark did something like this to
some French windows. This link should get you started:

That must be a few years ago, weren't they called Gaul windows then ?
--
geoff
Rick Hughes

"VisionSet" wrote in message
news

Anyone know of a good source of realistically priced good quality sealed
units?

I buy locally form a company called 'Glass Systems' they are much cheaper
by 70% than others I tried.
Very quick service - but you have to pay in advance.

As to thickness they will make whatever you want ... unit thickness will
depend on combination of pane spacer bar, inner & outer pane ...

Rick

Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Noise reduction Dirtleg Woodworking 10 January 9th 04 06:43 AM
Repairing leaks and adding a radiator in a CH sealed system. Paulo UK diy 1 August 18th 03 10:00 PM