chris French

In message , Rory
writes
VisionSet wrote:
35mm sounds very thick.
Are we talking about a glass unit that could be used to replace an existing
pane of glass, if the rebate were deep enough.
I guess I'm off to a non-start here, since I have 1930's windows with no
more than a 20mm rebate.
Just that the 1930's windows are sound, look nice and they knew how to
season wood in those days!
--
Mike W

Mine are 20mm total thickness - the 'spacer bar' in the middle is 12mm
and the glass is 4mm for each pane. The spacer bars come in other
thicknesses too.

I think I've seen (maybe even fitted) sealed units into wood frames of
14mm thickness. However, it's going to hard to fit even standard thin
sealed unit like that into a standard wooden single glazed frame
rebate. You need to allow for the space for sealant and the beading you
would normally use to fix them in place.

However I think I have heard of stepped sealed units - basically with
one pane larger than another. so the smaller pane goes on the inside -
protruding into the inside of the frame. Alternatively it may be
possible to rout out the rebate to make them deeper.

ISTR a one time regular poster Matthew mark did something like this to
some French windows. This link should get you started:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=fr...-i-y+author:Ma
tthew+author:marks
--
Chris French, Leeds