Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default left-over car part from tow-bar fitting

A while back, I had a mobile service install a tow-bar on our car.
The fitters left a chunky piece of steel which obviously came from
under the car (it's almost the width of the car, and painted to match
on some sides). Is there any reason to keep it?

(For example, might it be worthwhile when we get rid of the car to
have the old tow-bar taken off to transfer onto another car? Or is
that not worthwhile?)

I've been ignoring it for a while, but am now tidying up & wondering
whether I need to hide it from roving scrap-gatherers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2012 17:57, Adam Funk wrote:
A while back, I had a mobile service install a tow-bar on our car.
The fitters left a chunky piece of steel which obviously came from
under the car (it's almost the width of the car, and painted to match
on some sides). Is there any reason to keep it?

(For example, might it be worthwhile when we get rid of the car to
have the old tow-bar taken off to transfer onto another car? Or is
that not worthwhile?)

I've been ignoring it for a while, but am now tidying up& wondering
whether I need to hide it from roving scrap-gatherers.

I think you need to find out exactly what it is, and whether or not it
*should* have been left off!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:57:21 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

A while back, I had a mobile service install a tow-bar on our car.
The fitters left a chunky piece of steel which obviously came from
under the car (it's almost the width of the car, and painted to match
on some sides). Is there any reason to keep it?

(For example, might it be worthwhile when we get rid of the car to
have the old tow-bar taken off to transfer onto another car? Or is
that not worthwhile?)

expect that the tow bar won;t fit another motor anyway?

I'd consider sticking it back on and taking the towbar off - ebay the tow
bar for ££ and your car will not be devalued by stigma of towing caravans
and other ****e wearing it our prematurely....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adam Funk
writes
A while back, I had a mobile service install a tow-bar on our car.
The fitters left a chunky piece of steel which obviously came from
under the car (it's almost the width of the car, and painted to match
on some sides). Is there any reason to keep it?

(For example, might it be worthwhile when we get rid of the car to
have the old tow-bar taken off to transfer onto another car? Or is
that not worthwhile?)

I assume it's meant to be left off the car? I assume it was in the place
where the tow bar bolts on? (Googling up towbar fitting instructions for
your model of car should probably find some, even if not for the same
make of towbar)

The towbar won't probably won't fit onto another car (unless the same or
a similar model I guess) though you could maybe take it off and sell on
if the car was scrapped?

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
I think you need to find out exactly what it is, and whether or not it
*should* have been left off!

It's almost certainly a rear cross-member that has been replaced by the
stronger tow bar.
Whether it's worth keeping depends on whether the rear bumper had to be
butchered for the towbar to fit. Mine didn't with the particular towbar
fitted here, so I've kept the cross piece in case it increases the value
when I come to sell or in case I suddenly need a piece of strong steel
that size.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/12 17:57, Adam Funk wrote:
A while back, I had a mobile service install a tow-bar on our car.
The fitters left a chunky piece of steel which obviously came from
under the car (it's almost the width of the car, and painted to match
on some sides). Is there any reason to keep it?

(For example, might it be worthwhile when we get rid of the car to
have the old tow-bar taken off to transfer onto another car? Or is
that not worthwhile?)

I've been ignoring it for a while, but am now tidying up& wondering
whether I need to hide it from roving scrap-gatherers.

It depends.

It's probably a bumper bar that is replaced by the towbar. If the
plastic bumper is uncut, you could in theory put the bumper bar back and
flog the towbar when you get rid of the car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:

It's probably a bumper bar that is replaced by the towbar. If the
plastic bumper is uncut, you could in theory put the bumper bar back and
flog the towbar when you get rid of the car.

Might even get more selling the car without the towbar, let alone what
you can get for selling the towbar separately.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-12, Bill wrote:

In message , Roger Mills
writes
I think you need to find out exactly what it is, and whether or not it
*should* have been left off!

It's been a while, so we would've noticed! :-)

It's almost certainly a rear cross-member that has been replaced by the
stronger tow bar.
Whether it's worth keeping depends on whether the rear bumper had to be
butchered for the towbar to fit. Mine didn't with the particular towbar
fitted here, so I've kept the cross piece in case it increases the value
when I come to sell or in case I suddenly need a piece of strong steel
that size.

I'll take a look underneath (the car, that is, not the piece of
scrap). I didn't watch them fit the towbar, they didn't leave any
other bits of scrap (swarf or anything like that) so I doubt they
"butchered" anything.