Main bonding in gas meter box

Old April 2nd 12, 11:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Main bonding in gas meter box

I want to fit a main bonding clamp in an external gas meter box. The
box doesn't have a cable entry point. I've read that in these circs.
one mustn't drill the box but must take the cable up through the hole
for the consumer-side gas pipe. Is that right please? If so, does the
cable need to be in conduit? (I think it'll look bloody naff either
way.)

And while I'm here, does the meter box count as "damp conditions" where
I can't use an E14 clamp pl?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old April 3rd 12, 12:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 2, 11:14*pm, "Robin" wrote:
I want to fit a main bonding clamp in an external gas meter box. *The
box doesn't have a cable entry point. *I've read *that in these circs..
one mustn't drill the box but must take the cable up through the hole
for the consumer-side gas pipe. *Is that right please? *If so, does the

The bonding should be done where the service enters the house.
Sometimes in the gas cab isnt the right place.

cable need to be in conduit? *(I think it'll look bloody naff either
way.)

No, not unless I've missed something all this time.

And while I'm here, does the meter box count as "damp conditions" where
I can't use an E14 clamp pl?

Well, it will be damp, so an outdoor one would be best.

NT
Old April 3rd 12, 02:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
The bonding should be done where the service enters the house.

"Where it enters" says to me just immediately before it goes through
the brickwork, ie on the outside of the brickwork. Does it actually
mean "immediately after it enters", ie on the inside of the brick
work? Certainly all the bonding clamps I've ever encountered are
immediately after the service enters - *and* on the consumer side
of any cut-off tap. After all, it's to bond the internal pipework,
not to use the external pipework as a ground.

JGH
Old April 3rd 12, 07:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:

NT wrote:
The bonding should be done where the service enters the house.

"Where it enters" says to me just immediately before it goes through
the brickwork, ie on the outside of the brickwork. Does it actually
mean "immediately after it enters", ie on the inside of the brick
work? Certainly all the bonding clamps I've ever encountered are
immediately after the service enters - *and* on the consumer side
of any cut-off tap. After all, it's to bond the internal pipework,
not to use the external pipework as a ground.

544.1.2
"connection...As near as practicable to the point of entry...on the
consumers hard metal pipework...before any branch pipework....within
600mm of meter outlet union, or point of entry if meter is external."

So,before any branches, preferably within 600mm of entry for the OP, and
within 600mm if the meter is internal, on the consumer side, not the gas
supply side.

Old April 3rd 12, 07:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

544.1.2
"connection...As near as practicable to the point of entry...on the
consumers hard metal pipework...before any branch pipework....within
600mm of meter outlet union, or point of entry if meter is external."

Thanks Alan. Yes, reg 544.1.2 seems to leave it open as it whether the
bonding is inside or outside (where, as here, it's a simple case of a
pipe through a wall, nothing buried etc). But there's also the gas
regs. If there's no bonding visible in the meter cabinet a gas fitter
may mark it "Not To Current Standards" based on GasSafe's
view of the gas regs
(http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/pdf/Gas_Industry_Unsafe_Situations_Procedure.pdf)
The bonding has also to be accessible and the pipe inside the house is
difficult to access as it enter under a corner of the living room floor.
So I thought
I'd take the opportunity while the floor's up to loop through from
inside to the meter box and try to keep everyone happy.

Old April 3rd 12, 08:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 3, 7:49*am, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

Can that be right, given that some cas meter cabs are more than 60cm
from the house?

NT
Old April 3rd 12, 06:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
I want to fit a main bonding clamp in an external gas meter box. The
box doesn't have a cable entry point. I've read that in these circs.
one mustn't drill the box but must take the cable up through the hole
for the consumer-side gas pipe. Is that right please? If so, does
the cable need to be in conduit? (I think it'll look bloody naff
either way.)

And while I'm here, does the meter box count as "damp conditions"
where I can't use an E14 clamp pl?

Are you coming through the rear of the gas box or externally? I don't know
of any reason not to drill the box if external, but

http://www.eca.co.uk/training-news-a...s-meter-boxes/

and

http://www.eca.co.uk/_assets/files/B...tallations.pdf

apply for rear entry cables (we have them posted on the wall at work as a
reminder).

Anyway, a true pro would not drill the box. He would us a PZ2 screwdriver
and a hammer to make the hole:-).

I would consider condensation (and possibly frost) would make the clamps
liable to damp.

--
Adam

Old April 3rd 12, 07:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

EC15 under Ebay 300653435050 is 1.69 delivered.

Terminating an EC outside is common for externally run pipework, such
as Tracpipe used to replace internal lead.
Old April 3rd 12, 08:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you coming through the rear of the gas box or externally?

I have to bring the cable out below the box (because of the stupid way
it was mounted by BG).

http://www.eca.co.uk/training-news-a...s-meter-boxes/

Bullseye: example A3 is what I've got so I'll take it as a model.

Anyway, a true pro would not drill the box. He would us a PZ2
screwdriver and a hammer to make the hole:-).

Thanks but I know my place - ie an amateur certain only of my ability
to shatter the 20-year old box with one misjudged blow.

Old April 3rd 12, 08:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

EC15 under Ebay 300653435050 is 1.69 delivered.

Ta.