sealing skirting boards what to use?

Old May 17th 10, 01:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron

Default sealing skirting boards what to use?

What is the best stuff to use to seal the gap between the skirting board and
the floor?

I had some clear silicon that I used but that is finished and I have to get
something to finish the job.

Should I still use silicon or is there something better?

Ron

Old May 17th 10, 01:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron wrote:
What is the best stuff to use to seal the gap between the skirting
board and the floor?

Decorators caulk. Squirt in with gun, smooth with finger/tool - wipe off
excess with wet cloth. Caulk is over paintable - silicone isn't.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old May 17th 10, 04:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
Ron wrote:
What is the best stuff to use to seal the gap between the skirting
board and the floor?

Decorators caulk. Squirt in with gun, smooth with finger/tool - wipe off
excess with wet cloth. Caulk is over paintable - silicone isn't.

I've found caulk to be too inflexible for this sort of job. Nowadays you
can get modified silicones that are paintable eg:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p52048
--
fred

Old May 17th 10, 11:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , spamlet
writes

"Ron" wrote in message
What is the best stuff to use to seal the gap between the skirting board
and the floor?

I had some clear silicon that I used but that is finished and I have to
get something to finish the job.

Should I still use silicon or is there something better?

Ron

Carpet.

Absolutely guaranteed to give you fetching black edges to the carpet
from all the dirt in the underfloor blown in on the draughts.
--
fred
Old May 18th 10, 10:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , spamlet
writes

"Ron" wrote in message
What is the best stuff to use to seal the gap between the skirting board
and the floor?

I had some clear silicon that I used but that is finished and I have to
get something to finish the job.

Should I still use silicon or is there something better?

Ron

Carpet.

Absolutely guaranteed to give you fetching black edges to the carpet from
all the dirt in the underfloor blown in on the draughts.
--
fred

I agree about the black edges - determined not to have that again. I used
rolled up newspaper then a cheap silicone. Paintability didn't matter as the
carpet covers it.

Old May 23rd 10, 06:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , spamlet
writes

"Ron" wrote in message
What is the best stuff to use to seal the gap between the skirting
board
and the floor?

I had some clear silicon that I used but that is finished and I have to
get something to finish the job.

Should I still use silicon or is there something better?

Ron

Carpet.

Absolutely guaranteed to give you fetching black edges to the carpet from
all the dirt in the underfloor blown in on the draughts.
--
fred

I agree about the black edges - determined not to have that again. I used
rolled up newspaper then a cheap silicone. Paintability didn't matter as
the carpet covers it.

Well I specifically fitted the skirting to take the carpet, and to make
floorboard lifting easier.

I also leave the skirting fixing screws as features so that I can quickly
remove it for easy sanding and varnishing - another wonder made possible by
power screw drivers. There simply is no way for any draught to get past the
carpet when the skirting is used to hold it down. You guys must have very
threadbare carpets!

Skirting boards [email protected] UK diy 2 February 3rd 09 02:17 PM
Hollow skirting boards? Scott UK diy 22 December 31st 06 08:32 PM
Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves Cordless Crazy UK diy 12 March 12th 06 03:11 PM
New skirting boards Neil D. UK diy 2 January 3rd 06 09:47 PM
skirting boards andrewpreece UK diy 9 October 21st 04 01:05 PM