Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hollow skirting boards?

Hi

Anyone know where I can get hollow skirting boards. I need to run some
cable and seemed a good idea if I can put it in a some hollow skirting
boards. So far, none of the diy sheds websites say they do such a thing

Thanks

Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
Hi

Anyone know where I can get hollow skirting boards. I need to run some
cable and seemed a good idea if I can put it in a some hollow skirting
boards. So far, none of the diy sheds websites say they do such a thing

Thanks

Scott

Try a decent electrical wholesaler. They should stock this sort of thing

http://www.armorductsystems.co.uk/in.../page=skirting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Hi

Anyone know where I can get hollow skirting boards. I need to run some
cable and seemed a good idea if I can put it in a some hollow skirting
boards. So far, none of the diy sheds websites say they do such a thing

Thanks

Scott

An alternative is to make some up from either plank & moulding or
skirting & standoff strips

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I thought running unprotected cables behind (oer "within", for that
matter) skirting boards was a big no-no?

It's not as convenient as running them under the floor - it's less
destructive to decor when servicing is needed.

Mary

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-29 14:24:07 +0000, Scott said:

Hi

Anyone know where I can get hollow skirting boards. I need to run some
cable and seemed a good idea if I can put it in a some hollow skirting
boards. So far, none of the diy sheds websites say they do such a thing

Thanks

Scott

If you were thinking of using this to run mains power cables, it would
be as well to think again because this would be in contravention to the
Wiring Regulations (BS7671), and in many cases, by implication the
Building Regulations.

While I'm by no means a fan of regulation and bureaucracy, and in
practice there would be little chance of being found out, there are
potential problems if you sell the house (an electrical inspection
would flag it immediately) and there is a safety issue.

In respect of cables hidden from view (e.g. buried in plaster), the
Wiring Regulations provide three different approaches:

- Cable to be 50mm below the surface

- Cable protected with sturdy earthed metal cover

- Cable run in a space up to 150mm from the corner of a room or the top
of a wall, or cable run vertically or horizontally from a wiring
accessory (e.g. switch or socket).

Note that the third approach excludes the equivalent 150mm space next
to a floor, which is what you are considering. The reason for it is
that skirting boards are traditionally nailed to blocks in the wall or
an equivalent and cables are not expected to be there.

On the other hand, if you are running very low voltage cables or signal
cables (e.g. TV or hifi etc.) or if you want to ignore the wiring
regulations, then a way to obtain slotted skirting would be to buy
standard stuff and then use a
router to cut a slot in the back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Scott wrote :
Hi

Anyone know where I can get hollow skirting boards. I need to run some cable
and seemed a good idea if I can put it in a some hollow skirting boards. So
far, none of the diy sheds websites say they do such a thing

You can buy purpose made skirting trunking, though not very attractive,
from an electrical wholesaler. Running mains cables horizontally behind
normal skirting is not permitted by the regs.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Lobster" wrote in message
I thought running unprotected cables behind (oer "within", for that
matter) skirting boards was a big no-no?

It's not as convenient as running them under the floor - it's less
destructive to decor when servicing is needed.

Mary

Not if your floors are concrete.

Adam

Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Harry Bloomfield verbally sodomised in
:

After serious thinking Scott wrote :
Hi

Anyone know where I can get hollow skirting boards. I need to run some
cable and seemed a good idea if I can put it in a some hollow skirting
boards. So far, none of the diy sheds websites say they do such a thing

You can buy purpose made skirting trunking, though not very attractive,
from an electrical wholesaler. Running mains cables horizontally behind
normal skirting is not permitted by the regs.

The DL regs permit skirting.

--
Phil Kyle™

h i
i s
s l
f i l
S o n o
i u e n
g r s g
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
Anyone know where I can get hollow skirting boards. I need to run some
cable and seemed a good idea if I can put it in a some hollow skirting
boards. So far, none of the diy sheds websites say they do such a thing

To do this 'legally', you either need to use trunking designed for the
purpose which would look rather out of place in a house, or protect the
cable with conduit etc behind the skirting. The regs people think you're
likely to drill holes in skirting to hang pictures up.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Apparently some are being dense today. Since its not in one of the
zones where unprotected wiring is permitted obviously sheet steel would
need to be put in the groove to cover the wires

Obviously. Hardly worth mentioning really :-)

.. I dont see anything
espectially difficult about that, unless I'm missing something.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Apparently some are being dense today. Since its not in one of the
zones where unprotected wiring is permitted obviously sheet steel would
need to be put in the groove to cover the wires

Obviously. Hardly worth mentioning really :-)

I didnt think the concept of these zones or the use of capping would be
a novel idea to people.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:

Yeah - I know, I was just pointing out that it needs to be earthed
metal.

It doesn't need to be earthed if it's substantial enough to "prevent
penetration of the cable by nails, screws or the like." Otherwise you
can can used earthed steel conduit or one of the prescribed cable types
with earthed armouring or screening, etc. [see Reg. 522-06-06].

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
Hi

Anyone know where I can get hollow skirting boards. I need to run some
cable and seemed a good idea if I can put it in a some hollow skirting
boards. So far, none of the diy sheds websites say they do such a thing

There's a big assumption in many of the replies so far that you're
asking about mains cabling - and if this is the case then I think you'll
have realised by now that this is not permitted without adequate
protection.

IF, however, you're talking about e.g. low power data / CAT-5 cabling, a
seemingly more and more common issue as time goes by... then why not
manufacture your own?, buy the skirting board that you want, turn it
over and run a router, set to cut a sensible depth, down the rear face
to machine out the cable-way that you desire.

p.s. You'll still accidentally drive a nail through the cable, eventually.

Regards

Mike

Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves Cordless Crazy UK diy 12 March 12th 06 03:11 PM
New skirting boards Neil D. UK diy 2 January 3rd 06 09:47 PM
wiring behind skirting boards markzoom UK diy 101 April 3rd 05 01:14 PM
skirting boards andrewpreece UK diy 9 October 21st 04 01:05 PM
removing skirting boards Roger Mills UK diy 3 August 4th 03 05:42 PM