Plasterboard thicknesses

Old April 25th 10, 10:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard thicknesses

Can I assume that a new plasterboard wall will have plasterboard of a
certain thickness? Is there a standard thickness that builders will
typically choose for walls?

Daniele
Old April 25th 10, 10:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Apr, 10:35, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
Can I assume that a new plasterboard wall will have plasterboard of a
certain thickness? Is there a standard thickness that builders will
typically choose for walls?

Daniele

Comes in 9, 12 and 15mm. 12mm is by far the most commonly used by
builders.

Exceptions are when a higher level of either fire protection or
soundproofing is required by building regs (usually between dwellings,
or occasionally on higher floors within dwellings etc). A double layer
of 12mm is often used for these situations.
Old April 25th 10, 11:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
D.M. Procida writes
Can I assume that a new plasterboard wall will have plasterboard of a
certain thickness? Is there a standard thickness that builders will
typically choose for walls?

It's up to you to specify what you want, either 9mm or 12mm. Left to
their own devices, the average builder will likely use the
thinner/cheaper option.

Personally I would use 12mm as it is less likely to wobble like a set
from prisoner cell block H.

I assume you mean a wooden stud partition? For standard large sheets of
plasterboards (1200x2400mm) you can choose stud spacings of either 400
or 600mm (to line up with sheet boundaries) with lesser spacings giving
greater rigidity. My personal preference would be 400mm but 600 may be
adequate depending on the application.

See: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Partition_Wall for tips
--
fred
Old April 25th 10, 11:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
Can I assume that a new plasterboard wall will have plasterboard of a
certain thickness? Is there a standard thickness that builders will
typically choose for walls?

12.5mm

Daniele

Old April 25th 10, 12:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 25, 8:54*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
Can I assume that a new plasterboard wall will have plasterboard of a
certain thickness? Is there a standard thickness that builders will
typically choose for walls?

12.5mm

Daniele- Hide quoted text -

Similar here ........... Canada s'posed to be metric but many things
still rated in US fashion.

'Gyproc' (gypsum board/plasterboard) ............... neighbour is
rebuilding his basement.
His wood frame house, built 40 years like this one used 3/8th
throughout. He is redoing any walls that he changes with half inch
(12mm) on 16 inch (400mm) studs. But will reapply 3/8th (approx. 9mm)
on ceilings on 12 inch (300mm) spaced strapping. ironically the 3/8th
costs slightly more than the 1/2 inch. But is easier to lift and apply
to the ceilings!
Finding that the quality of some of the 12 mm. is very crumbly and the
corners break very easily.
He is not using 5/8th (16mm) anywhere although it is a new standard
for certain construction.

Mismatched floorboard thicknesses Lobster UK diy 9 May 19th 06 08:15 PM
New Part L1b and cavity wall thicknesses dg UK diy 5 April 15th 06 10:25 PM
Drawers 1...5, materials, thicknesses, joints, width (max) bent Woodworking 13 November 15th 05 04:36 AM
Plasterboard bronkone7 UK diy 12 July 31st 05 11:04 PM
Where to buy plasterboard? Bob Eager UK diy 11 December 13th 03 12:02 AM