Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Plasterboard thicknesses

In article
,
D.M. Procida writes
Can I assume that a new plasterboard wall will have plasterboard of a
certain thickness? Is there a standard thickness that builders will
typically choose for walls?

It's up to you to specify what you want, either 9mm or 12mm. Left to
their own devices, the average builder will likely use the
thinner/cheaper option.

Personally I would use 12mm as it is less likely to wobble like a set
from prisoner cell block H.

I assume you mean a wooden stud partition? For standard large sheets of
plasterboards (1200x2400mm) you can choose stud spacings of either 400
or 600mm (to line up with sheet boundaries) with lesser spacings giving
greater rigidity. My personal preference would be 400mm but 600 may be
adequate depending on the application.

See: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Partition_Wall for tips
--
fred