A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » UK diy
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Viessmann Combi



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 31st 08, 02:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,837
Default Viessmann Combi

A friend (as in the Flue question) has had a combi fitted upstairs (new flue
through roof). The fitter did a great job, but the electrician needs to come
in 2 weeks after my friend returns from holiday - therefore it is running
without a room stat at present.

He is concerned about the noise and some of his family have switched it off
at the spur unit. My instinct is that this is a bad idea as it could upset
the pump or fan control. However, what is the noise - is it a fan?


Ads
  #2  
Old August 31st 08, 02:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,743
Default Viessmann Combi

In article ,
"John" writes:
A friend (as in the Flue question) has had a combi fitted upstairs (new flue
through roof). The fitter did a great job, but the electrician needs to come
in 2 weeks after my friend returns from holiday - therefore it is running
without a room stat at present.

He is concerned about the noise and some of his family have switched it off
at the spur unit. My instinct is that this is a bad idea as it could upset
the pump or fan control.


Shouldn't cause any problems -- boilers have to survive the
occasional power cut. I wouldn't switch it off this way too
often when the burners are alight though, as it may cause
localised boiling and overheating of the heat exchanger
when the pump suddenly stops.

However, what is the noise - is it a fan?


Um, how could we possibly tell?

--
Andrew Gabriel
[email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]
  #3  
Old August 31st 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,512
Default Viessmann Combi

In article ,
John wrote:
A friend (as in the Flue question) has had a combi fitted upstairs (new
flue through roof). The fitter did a great job, but the electrician
needs to come in 2 weeks after my friend returns from holiday -
therefore it is running without a room stat at present.


No problem - if it's like mine. It comes with the thermostat wiring
bypassed anyway.

He is concerned about the noise and some of his family have switched it
off at the spur unit. My instinct is that this is a bad idea as it
could upset the pump or fan control. However, what is the noise - is it
a fan?


You can hardly hear mine at all with the cover on. Apart from when it
first starts - I think it blows air fast though the flue to make sure
there is no gas in there. But it's not a combi.
The electronics are fine if you power down completely - it will remember
all the settings.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #4  
Old September 1st 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 287
Default Viessmann Combi

On 31 Aug 2008 13:37:32 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"John" writes:
A friend (as in the Flue question) has had a combi fitted upstairs (new flue
through roof). The fitter did a great job, but the electrician needs to come
in 2 weeks after my friend returns from holiday - therefore it is running
without a room stat at present.

He is concerned about the noise and some of his family have switched it off
at the spur unit. My instinct is that this is a bad idea as it could upset
the pump or fan control.


Shouldn't cause any problems -- boilers have to survive the
occasional power cut. I wouldn't switch it off this way too
often when the burners are alight though, as it may cause
localised boiling and overheating of the heat exchanger
when the pump suddenly stops.


That's interesting. The fan failed on my 3 year old WB combi boiler,
which I discovered immediately when I returned from holiday. The
engineer (one from WB) told me not to switch it off *ever* at the main
switch since the boiler needs to perform self tests every 24 hours and
(the switching off) may have caused the premature fan failure.

I'm not saying I believe him. I am just reporting this since the WB
engineer *should* know what he is talking about.

--
(\__/) M.
(='.'=) Owing to the amount of spam posted via googlegroups and
(")_(") their inaction to the problem. I am blocking most articles
posted from there. If you wish your postings to be seen by
everyone you will need use a different method of posting.
See
http://improve-usenet.org

  #5  
Old September 1st 08, 02:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,512
Default Viessmann Combi

In article ,
Mark wrote:
That's interesting. The fan failed on my 3 year old WB combi boiler,
which I discovered immediately when I returned from holiday. The
engineer (one from WB) told me not to switch it off *ever* at the main
switch since the boiler needs to perform self tests every 24 hours and
(the switching off) may have caused the premature fan failure.


I'm not saying I believe him. I am just reporting this since the WB
engineer *should* know what he is talking about.


I'd agree with him - although not necessarily word for word. My Viessmann
runs the pump for a short time every 24 hours even with heating and water
heating shut down to prevent it seizing. There is a standby button to
achieve this state as well as a normal mains isolator on the boiler.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #6  
Old September 1st 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 287
Default Viessmann Combi

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:50:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
That's interesting. The fan failed on my 3 year old WB combi boiler,
which I discovered immediately when I returned from holiday. The
engineer (one from WB) told me not to switch it off *ever* at the main
switch since the boiler needs to perform self tests every 24 hours and
(the switching off) may have caused the premature fan failure.


I'm not saying I believe him. I am just reporting this since the WB
engineer *should* know what he is talking about.


I'd agree with him - although not necessarily word for word. My Viessmann
runs the pump for a short time every 24 hours even with heating and water
heating shut down to prevent it seizing. There is a standby button to
achieve this state as well as a normal mains isolator on the boiler.


Why should the fan be liable to seizing up when not in use unless it's
faulty? After all the fan is not use for quite a while between
manufacture and installation.

--
(\__/) M.
(='.'=) Owing to the amount of spam posted via googlegroups and
(")_(") their inaction to the problem. I am blocking most articles
posted from there. If you wish your postings to be seen by
everyone you will need use a different method of posting.
See http://improve-usenet.org

  #7  
Old September 1st 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,512
Default Viessmann Combi

In article ,
Mark wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:50:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:


In article ,
Mark wrote:
That's interesting. The fan failed on my 3 year old WB combi boiler,
which I discovered immediately when I returned from holiday. The
engineer (one from WB) told me not to switch it off *ever* at the main
switch since the boiler needs to perform self tests every 24 hours and
(the switching off) may have caused the premature fan failure.


I'm not saying I believe him. I am just reporting this since the WB
engineer *should* know what he is talking about.


I'd agree with him - although not necessarily word for word. My
Viessmann runs the pump for a short time every 24 hours even with
heating and water heating shut down to prevent it seizing. There is a
standby button to achieve this state as well as a normal mains isolator
on the boiler.


Why should the fan be liable to seizing up when not in use unless it's
faulty? After all the fan is not use for quite a while between
manufacture and installation.


That's why I said I didn't agree with him word for word. But do with the
principle of leaving the boiler powered up - if it needs it. The
installation instructions should make it clear whether this is needed.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #8  
Old September 2nd 08, 05:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Viessmann Combi

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:23:45 +0100, "John"
wrote:

A friend (as in the Flue question) has had a combi fitted upstairs (new flue
through roof). The fitter did a great job, but the electrician needs to come
in 2 weeks after my friend returns from holiday - therefore it is running
without a room stat at present.

He is concerned about the noise and some of his family have switched it off
at the spur unit. My instinct is that this is a bad idea as it could upset
the pump or fan control. However, what is the noise - is it a fan?

It could be the pump. As the thermostatic valves on the radiators
close, the pump faces increased resistance (or something). It will
start off quiet and get louder as the house heats up if this is the
case.

The thermostat circuit could be low voltage in which case you could do
it yourself
  #9  
Old September 2nd 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,837
Default Viessmann Combi


"Keith2.0" wrote in message
...
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:23:45 +0100, "John"
wrote:

A friend (as in the Flue question) has had a combi fitted upstairs (new
flue
through roof). The fitter did a great job, but the electrician needs to
come
in 2 weeks after my friend returns from holiday - therefore it is running
without a room stat at present.

He is concerned about the noise and some of his family have switched it
off
at the spur unit. My instinct is that this is a bad idea as it could upset
the pump or fan control. However, what is the noise - is it a fan?

It could be the pump. As the thermostatic valves on the radiators
close, the pump faces increased resistance (or something). It will
start off quiet and get louder as the house heats up if this is the
case.

The thermostat circuit could be low voltage in which case you could do
it yourself


He was running it with only DHW selected. His son got up in the middle of
the night to switch it off due to the new noise in the house.


  #10  
Old September 2nd 08, 09:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,512
Default Viessmann Combi

In article ,
Keith2.0 wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:23:45 +0100, "John"
wrote:


A friend (as in the Flue question) has had a combi fitted upstairs (new
flue through roof). The fitter did a great job, but the electrician
needs to come in 2 weeks after my friend returns from holiday -
therefore it is running without a room stat at present.

He is concerned about the noise and some of his family have switched it
off at the spur unit. My instinct is that this is a bad idea as it
could upset the pump or fan control. However, what is the noise - is
it a fan?

It could be the pump. As the thermostatic valves on the radiators close,
the pump faces increased resistance (or something). It will start off
quiet and get louder as the house heats up if this is the case.


Assuming a modern Viessmann (I only have details of my one) the pump is a
vary speed unit so will adjust. It also has a built in bypass loop.

The thermostat circuit could be low voltage in which case you could do
it yourself


Mine uses a room temperature sensor rather than a thermostat. So all
adjustments are done from the programmer. But it has the option to use a
conventional one.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Searching for a new boiler: Viessmann OK? ismangil[_2_] UK diy 3 November 20th 07 10:04 AM
viessmann pcb legin UK diy 4 December 27th 06 02:51 PM
Viessmann C/H boiler-Opinions ? [email protected] UK diy 2 December 21st 06 08:18 PM
viessmann boiler trouble [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 22nd 06 08:35 PM
Viessmann LPG ignition problems [email protected] UK diy 6 March 18th 05 07:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.