Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Viessmann Combi

In article ,
Mark wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:50:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
That's interesting. The fan failed on my 3 year old WB combi boiler,
which I discovered immediately when I returned from holiday. The
engineer (one from WB) told me not to switch it off *ever* at the main
switch since the boiler needs to perform self tests every 24 hours and
(the switching off) may have caused the premature fan failure.

I'm not saying I believe him. I am just reporting this since the WB
engineer *should* know what he is talking about.

I'd agree with him - although not necessarily word for word. My
Viessmann runs the pump for a short time every 24 hours even with
heating and water heating shut down to prevent it seizing. There is a
standby button to achieve this state as well as a normal mains isolator
on the boiler.

Why should the fan be liable to seizing up when not in use unless it's
faulty? After all the fan is not use for quite a while between
manufacture and installation.

That's why I said I didn't agree with him word for word. But do with the
principle of leaving the boiler powered up - if it needs it. The
installation instructions should make it clear whether this is needed.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.