Chair gas lift mechanisms

Old April 17th 08, 11:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chair gas lift mechanisms

Hi all,
I`ve got a chair with a faulty gas lift mechanism, and am currently involved
in a disagreement with the supplier regarding returning the chair to them.
It`s a bloody big leather chair and they are insisting that I buy the
packing to return it to them, and get a refund of 5 for the packing
material. This is a lot of messing about - I`m wondering how standard the
gas lift mechanisms are in these chairs, and how easy it would be to source
a replacement. It seems to me that if I can get a replacement gas lift
mechanism easily and cheaply, they`d be likely to refund me the cost and
it`d be a lot less agravation than any other course of action I can think
of.

Anyone got any ideas for sources of these mechanisms in single quantities?
i`ve had a quick google and look on ebay with no joy.

Thanks in advance!

Old April 17th 08, 11:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 17, 11:02*am, "Simon Finnigan"
wrote:
[...]

Are they prepared to send you the replacement gas lift mechanism for
you to fit yourself? They're pretty easy to fit on the chairs I have.
In fact, it's often one of the component parts in cheap self-assembly
chairs.

Jon.
Old April 17th 08, 12:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tournifreak" wrote in message
Are they prepared to send you the replacement gas lift mechanism for
you to fit yourself? They're pretty easy to fit on the chairs I have.
In fact, it's often one of the component parts in cheap self-assembly
chairs.

Jon.

i`ve already suggested that and been told it isn`t an option :-)

Old April 17th 08, 12:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

i`ve already suggested that and been told it isn`t an option :-)

That's just plain unreasonable - you've given them a very easy, low cost
option, and they have refused to take it.

How old is the chair?

--
Grunff
Old April 17th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:02:28 +0100, Simon Finnigan wrote:
[...]

Well you can sometimes get a complete gas-lift chair for 20 tho'
you have to assemble it yourself. It sounds like that would be a bonus
in your situation as the lifter is one of the parts you get.

Look at Viking Direct or Tesco's websites for ideas. Obviously not top
quality at those prices, but might do the job for you.
You might have to wait for an offer - but they seem to pop up fairly regularly.

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Old April 17th 08, 12:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:08:27 UTC, Grunff wrote:

Simon Finnigan wrote:

i`ve already suggested that and been told it isn`t an option :-)

That's just plain unreasonable - you've given them a very easy, low cost
option, and they have refused to take it.

Unless it's the actual manufacturer, they'd have to break open another
chair package to get one. Or wait for a spare from manufacturer.

http://www.diybanter.com
Old April 17th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Unless it's the actual manufacturer, they'd have to break open another
chair package to get one.

Sure, but that's not a problem. If they're going to have to replace his
faulty chair, then it's easier and cheaper for them to just break open a
new one and take the strut from it. We do this all the time.

--
Grunff

Old April 17th 08, 01:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

About 3 months.

Hmm, I'm not sure where that leaves you legally. I would generally
expect them to pick up the faulty chair if it develops a fault within
the first month.

--
Grunff
Old April 17th 08, 07:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
[...]

Where did you buy it?
Its not your responsibility to get the chair collected/repaired its the
retailers.
Take it back and ask for a refund/replacement/repair as you want.