Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Got that sinking feeling - gas lift chair dead

I have an Ikea high back "executive" office chair - in quite good nick,
other than the gas lift has just died. Operate the lever with no weight on
the chair and it drops to the bottom.

I hate throwing perfectly good stuff away. Any tips on how I might source a
new gas strut - and, before I bother taking it to bits (as it still sort of
functions as a chair), is it generally feasible to repair these things?

Ta,

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
I have an Ikea high back "executive" office chair - in quite good nick,
other than the gas lift has just died. Operate the lever with no weight on
the chair and it drops to the bottom.

I hate throwing perfectly good stuff away. Any tips on how I might source

new gas strut - and, before I bother taking it to bits (as it still sort

of
functions as a chair), is it generally feasible to repair these things?

Is it not quicker to ask Google directly than type it all out in here so
that someone else can ask Google for you?

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/re-gas.php

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/domestic.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

"Tim S" wrote in message
I have an Ikea high back "executive" office chair - in quite good nick,
other than the gas lift has just died. Operate the lever with no weight
on the chair and it drops to the bottom.

I hate throwing perfectly good stuff away. Any tips on how I might source

new gas strut - and, before I bother taking it to bits (as it still sort

of
functions as a chair), is it generally feasible to repair these things?

Is it not quicker to ask Google directly than type it all out in here so
that someone else can ask Google for you?

Sir, you judge in haste. I searched the archives of this news group and
turned up nothing - I'm not that useless! But I do confess that I didn't
follow through to a web search for some reason.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/re-gas.php

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/domestic.php

The first link is definitely interesting. I will ring them on Monday, thanks
for the pointer.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:52:56 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

snip

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/re-gas.php

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/domestic.php

The first link is definitely interesting. I will ring them on Monday, thanks
for the pointer.

I'd be interested in what price they quote, I've got a posh chair from
the tip that's got a duff strut.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:52:56 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

snip

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/re-gas.php

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/domestic.php

The first link is definitely interesting. I will ring them on Monday,

thanks
for the pointer.

I'm not sure why the second one isn't too because if yours is too buggered
to refill they can probably sell you a new one.

I'd be interested in what price they quote, I've got a posh chair from
the tip that's got a duff strut.

I think most struts lose their gas over a period of time. The tailgate one
on my Astra only lasted about 6 years but a little **** stole the car so it
became a non issue anyway. I managed for a while before that by keeping a
broom handle in the boot. You can probably guess the price of gas struts
from that of car shock absorbers which aren't too dissimilar. I'd hazard a
guess at £20 to £30 for a new strut and £10 for a refill. In bulk to the
trade probably a fraction of that. There's bugger all in the way of
materials or technology in those things. A bit of tube, a chromed rod, some
seals - not much else. I bet they make them for a couple of quid each in
India or somewhere similar.
--
"I found this stone in the park yesterday. It's been worn to a perfect
sphere by the elements and dimpled by time."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-20 16:14:43 +0000, Tim S said:

I have an Ikea high back "executive" office chair - in quite good nick,
other than the gas lift has just died. Operate the lever with no weight on
the chair and it drops to the bottom.

At least it's only *to* the bottom. Remembers ancient JB film with
something like this
where Q does something and JB remarks on it bringing tears to the eyes.

I hate throwing perfectly good stuff away.

You ddi say it was IKEA. Ingvar Kamprad is a known cheapskate.

Any tips on how I might source a
new gas strut - and, before I bother taking it to bits (as it still sort of
functions as a chair), is it generally feasible to repair these things?

There are gas struts from suppliers in the new world. However the
cost of transporting them (the struts not the suppliers) to the old
world is not something which could be covered by Billy Bunter's postal
order.

Short version . It may not be cost effective.

Ta,

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:52:56 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

snip

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/re-gas.php

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/domestic.php

The first link is definitely interesting. I will ring them on Monday,

thanks
for the pointer.

I'm not sure why the second one isn't too because if yours is too buggered
to refill they can probably sell you a new one.

It looks to me like a custom part, not an Ikea enclosure with a standard
strut + valvegear inside. Perhaps not the piston and valve gear, which may
be off the shelf (or not), but certainly the cylinder is designed around
the rest of the chair.

I'd be interested in what price they quote, I've got a posh chair from
the tip that's got a duff strut.

as Andy said, it sadly may not be cost effective - but I'll do it out of
interest.

I think most struts lose their gas over a period of time. The tailgate one
on my Astra only lasted about 6 years but a little **** stole the car so
it became a non issue anyway. I managed for a while before that by keeping
a broom handle in the boot. You can probably guess the price of gas struts
from that of car shock absorbers which aren't too dissimilar. I'd hazard a
guess at £20 to £30 for a new strut and £10 for a refill. In bulk to the
trade probably a fraction of that. There's bugger all in the way of
materials or technology in those things. A bit of tube, a chromed rod,
some seals - not much else. I bet they make them for a couple of quid each
in India or somewhere similar.

Probably

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-20 16:14:43 +0000, Tim S said:

I have an Ikea high back "executive" office chair - in quite good nick,
other than the gas lift has just died. Operate the lever with no weight
on the chair and it drops to the bottom.

At least it's only *to* the bottom. Remembers ancient JB film with
something like this
where Q does something and JB remarks on it bringing tears to the eyes.

I hate throwing perfectly good stuff away.

You ddi say it was IKEA. Ingvar Kamprad is a known cheapskate.

I find their wares vary quite wildly. I find the Leksvik range is excellent
for the money. I still have some cheap garage wooden shelving which I
tarted up with stain and it's still going strong after 12-13 years. And
just last fortnight I procured 2 £50 pine wooden dining tables, trimmed one
down a little and put end to end in my office/lab. They are fairly well
built and way better than the much more expensive office desks they sell.

OTOH I've had some real crap too. Real Swedes (at least the two I asked)
lump Ikea in with the likes of MFI. One bit of crap was a metal framed sofa
bed with birch spring slats. What let that down was several little plastic
sockets at the end of some slats snapping off, hence slats fall off. No
excuse for not welding on a metal socket - it would make bugger all
difference to the price.

Any tips on how I might source a
new gas strut - and, before I bother taking it to bits (as it still sort
of functions as a chair), is it generally feasible to repair these
things?

There are gas struts from suppliers in the new world. However the
cost of transporting them (the struts not the suppliers) to the old
world is not something which could be covered by Billy Bunter's postal
order.

Short version . It may not be cost effective.

Sadly - but the rest of the chair (wood, foam, covering and feet) are fine.
It's a disgrace to put that lot in the landfill just over one small (and
very recyclable) part. Who knows, maybe I can lock it to some height and
still keep the swivel action somehow...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-20 18:35:16 +0000, Tim S said:

It looks to me like a custom part, not an Ikea enclosure with a standard
strut + valvegear inside. Perhaps not the piston and valve gear, which may
be off the shelf (or not), but certainly the cylinder is designed around
the rest of the chair.

Sweden, especially the southern part where IKEA began, borders on the Baltic.
Therefore it can be referred to as a Baltic state, although the Swedes
make a different association.

Quite a number of IKEA products come from across the water from
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania

I suppose that where there's a Vilnius there's a Vaynius.

(well you have to get them in when you can)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-20 18:45:27 +0000, Tim S said:

Andy Hall wrote:

You ddi say it was IKEA. Ingvar Kamprad is a known cheapskate.

I find their wares vary quite wildly. I find the Leksvik range is excellent
for the money. I still have some cheap garage wooden shelving which I
tarted up with stain and it's still going strong after 12-13 years. And
just last fortnight I procured 2 £50 pine wooden dining tables, trimmed one
down a little and put end to end in my office/lab. They are fairly well
built and way better than the much more expensive office desks they sell.

OTOH I've had some real crap too. Real Swedes (at least the two I asked)
lump Ikea in with the likes of MFI.

That's about right. It's not a quality brand, more an icon.

One bit of crap was a metal framed sofa
bed with birch spring slats. What let that down was several little plastic
sockets at the end of some slats snapping off, hence slats fall off. No
excuse for not welding on a metal socket - it would make bugger all
difference to the price.

Ingvar rides around n a bike and flies with budget airlines as a
mission statement.

What else do you need to know?

It;s making an issue out of frugality whih doesn't quite come together.

Any tips on how I might source a
new gas strut - and, before I bother taking it to bits (as it still sort
of functions as a chair), is it generally feasible to repair these
things?

There are gas struts from suppliers in the new world. However the
cost of transporting them (the struts not the suppliers) to the old
world is not something which could be covered by Billy Bunter's postal
order.

Short version . It may not be cost effective.

Sadly - but the rest of the chair (wood, foam, covering and feet) are fine.
It's a disgrace to put that lot in the landfill just over one small (and
very recyclable) part. Who knows, maybe I can lock it to some height and
still keep the swivel action somehow...

Ah... but do you think that Ingvar really cares in the final analyss?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

"Tim S" wrote in message
I have an Ikea high back "executive" office chair - in quite good nick,
other than the gas lift has just died. Operate the lever with no weight
on the chair and it drops to the bottom.

I hate throwing perfectly good stuff away. Any tips on how I might source

new gas strut - and, before I bother taking it to bits (as it still sort

of
functions as a chair), is it generally feasible to repair these things?

Is it not quicker to ask Google directly than type it all out in here so
that someone else can ask Google for you?

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/re-gas.php

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/domestic.php

Follow up:

Thanks Dave,

I did ring SGS, though not as soon as I'd planned. They quoted typically
12.50 GBP for a regas, coming to around 24 quid once VAT and shipping back
were added in, plus of course my shipping to them.

So it's borderline in cases of cheap chairs but it might be worth it for me,
and saves me having to take a good chair to the tip.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:09:51 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

snip

I did ring SGS, though not as soon as I'd planned. They quoted typically
12.50 GBP for a regas, coming to around 24 quid once VAT and shipping back
were added in, plus of course my shipping to them.

So it's borderline in cases of cheap chairs but it might be worth it for me,
and saves me having to take a good chair to the tip.

Cheers

Cheers, sounds feasible for a decent throne.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You now have an option to fix that sinking office chair. The Chair Saver Kit keeps an office chair from sinking when the gas lift cylinder has failed.. It requires no tools to install, keeps the user at the correct ergonomic height and has been done so by everyone from young kids to grandparents.

You can find more information at www.chair-saver.com and buy one. Keep your chair around for another 5 years. Definitely a lot less expensive than buying a new ergonomic chair, or trying to get the correct cylinder part and installation tool to try and fix it yourself.
Junior Member

If it's out of warranty a better option exists now. Use a Chair Saver Kit to fix a sinking gas lift on an adjustable office chair. No tools required, no need to take the chair apart and installs in under a minute. Keeps the proper ergonomic height for a user, and permanently fixes the sinking issue. 20 times less expensive than buying a new ergonomic office chair, or trying to find the right cylinder and install it yourself. You can get one at Chair Saver | Fix Your Sinking Office Chair. Keep using you chair for years to come without sinking.