Vitodens 200 programmer.

Old March 1st 08, 01:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vitodens 200 programmer.

I replaced my trusty of old basic electric Potterton Kingfisher with a
Vitodens 200 system boiler some months ago. And it works just fine.

However, I miss having the external programmer of old - if I wish to
switch things off when going away etc it means going to the boiler itself.
Viessmann reckon the way round this is to use an extra external controller
- using the room stat circuit - and leave the internal one set to
constant. Which isn't really what I want. Apart from the unnecessary cost.

The integral controller has a four pin plug for everything - so I'm
assuming DC and a data circuit. Any reason why I shouldn't just extend
this and site the programmer where I want it - the cable run would only be
a metre or so. Or any other suggestions?

Other thing is the existing old programmer is mounted on a tiled surface
and if I remove it it will leave holes. And I've no spare tiles. But
dislike having an unused device left in place.

--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sex..just don't point!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 1st 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-01 13:24:08 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

[...]

I can't see any reason why not apart from a possible warranty issue.
Can you get the connectors? If so, making up a lead would seem to be
a good way, then if you have to put the thing back you can.

Screened cable would be a good idea in case of RF pickup, considering
your location.

Old March 1st 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I replaced my trusty of old basic electric Potterton Kingfisher with a
Vitodens 200 system boiler some months ago. And it works just fine.

However, I miss having the external programmer of old - if I wish to
switch things off when going away etc it means going to the boiler itself.
Viessmann reckon the way round this is to use an extra external controller
- using the room stat circuit - and leave the internal one set to
constant. Which isn't really what I want. Apart from the unnecessary cost.

The integral controller has a four pin plug for everything - so I'm
assuming DC

why DC ?

The Saunier Duval programmer is 24vdc powered, but almost every other
one I've encountered is mains powered

--
geoff
Old March 1st 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 47c967aa@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2008-03-01 13:24:08 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

[...]

It's probably a relay switching inside

I don't think RF would be a problem, but surely the manual will give an
indication of what the timer does

L, N and two switch contacts would sound logical to me

--
geoff
Old March 1st 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I replaced my trusty of old basic electric Potterton Kingfisher with a
Vitodens 200 system boiler some months ago. And it works just fine.

However, I miss having the external programmer of old - if I wish to
switch things off when going away etc it means going to the boiler
itself. Viessmann reckon the way round this is to use an extra external
controller - using the room stat circuit - and leave the internal one
set to constant. Which isn't really what I want. Apart from the
unnecessary cost.

The integral controller has a four pin plug for everything - so I'm
assuming DC

why DC ?

It's basically just a PCB with surface mount components on it - no signs
of mains transformers or relays etc anywhere.

The Saunier Duval programmer is 24vdc powered, but almost every other
one I've encountered is mains powered

I've not investigated fully but I'd guess it controls external relays etc
via an external interface.

I have a spare programmer as I bought the external temperature
compensation kit which uses a different one. Ie, different electronics etc
but 'physically' the same. So I can trace what the four pin plug on the
PCB is wired to at leisure

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Old March 1st 08, 06:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 1:24*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
[...]

Hi

You need Part No. 7133 385 according to the installation manual. This
is a wall mounting adaptor plate for the controller and includes a
blanking plate for the front of the boiler.

Maximum cable length is 30M and you need 2 core cable apparently.

Steve
Old March 1st 08, 06:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
stevelup wrote:
You need Part No. 7133 385 according to the installation manual. This
is a wall mounting adaptor plate for the controller and includes a
blanking plate for the front of the boiler.

Ah. Thought I'd read it from cover to cover.

Maximum cable length is 30M and you need 2 core cable apparently.

Wonder why the plug is 4 pin?

But thanks very much for that.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Old March 1st 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-01 17:09:31 +0000, geoff said:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I replaced my trusty of old basic electric Potterton Kingfisher with a
Vitodens 200 system boiler some months ago. And it works just fine.

However, I miss having the external programmer of old - if I wish to
switch things off when going away etc it means going to the boiler itself.
Viessmann reckon the way round this is to use an extra external controller
- using the room stat circuit - and leave the internal one set to
constant. Which isn't really what I want. Apart from the unnecessary cost.

The integral controller has a four pin plug for everything - so I'm
assuming DC

why DC ?

The Saunier Duval programmer is 24vdc powered, but almost every other
one I've encountered is mains powered

Mine's 0, 12v and then 2 way data on a single wire......

The controller handles time, signals temperature as an actual reading
and allows control of the relative sensitivity of the room temperature
vs. the weather compensator.

Old March 1st 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-01 13:24:08 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

[...]

I wouldn't assume that in a boiler of this type....

Old March 1st 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-01 13:24:08 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

[...]

I wouldn't like to make any assumptions, especially as I don't know the
beast, especially following the brief description, but even quite a lot
of small, compact ones use a cap/resistor dropper from a mains supply.

"Data" also would be a very posh name for what is effectively a switch

--
geoff

c.h. programmer ameoba5 UK diy 3 February 4th 08 08:19 PM
PIC Programmer Jon Slaughter Electronic Schematics 1 October 28th 07 07:59 PM
JDM PIC programmer [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 13th 07 04:30 AM
LVP programmer [email protected] Electronics 7 August 18th 05 06:04 PM
CH Programmer hays UK diy 4 December 10th 03 06:05 PM