Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What do I do with this? (wasp nest)

http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg

I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not have it
in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg

I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not have
it in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Tim

Perfectly safe but it wouldn't be re-occupied anyway.

Put a bin liner round it and use a carving knife to cut it, carefully, from
the timber. Support it underneath and lower it into the bag.

It's a beautiful nest, if you have children let them see it and cut it,
again with a carving knife (it will be surprisingly tough inside)
vertically, to show the construction. Or just look and marvel yourself!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg

I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not
have it in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Tim

What's the crud underneath it?

Just an old bit of felt (no, I don't know why).

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
TheScullster wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg

I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not
have it in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Tim

What's the crud underneath it?

Just an old bit of felt (no, I don't know why).

Tim

While your up there increase your loft insulation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Downie
writes
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg

I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not have it
in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Give it to Andy Hall -

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:23:20 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

It's a beautiful nest, if you have children let them see it and cut it,
again with a carving knife (it will be surprisingly tough inside)
vertically, to show the construction. Or just look and marvel yourself!

If the OP has no kids or gran kids, see if the local primary school would
like it for their nature table. Better still and a good excercise for the
OP to research and offer to do a short talk to the school on wasps and
their life cycle.

Wasps are a much maligned creature, yes they sting and it hurts like *FCK*
(experience) but a sting is rarely more than just pain and swelling for a
day or three. Generally Wasps don't sting unless seriously threatened so
it becomes an act of self defence. Just like humans they get a bit
unpredictable when drunk. You wouldn't go up to a group of drunken youths
waving your arms about screaming and shouting trying to move 'em on so why
do the same with a wasp after it has been feeding on wind fall fruit?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-15 20:58:12 +0000, geoff said:

In message , Tim Downie
writes
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg

I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not have it
in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Give it to Andy Hall -

What am I meant to do with it?

I suppose it could be another application for the Mapp gas torch, but
one would want to have living wasps inside to make that fully
worthwhile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-15 20:58:12 +0000, geoff said:

In message , Tim Downie
writes
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg

I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not have it
in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Give it to Andy Hall -

What am I meant to do with it?

I suppose it could be another application for the Mapp gas torch, but
one would want to have living wasps inside to make that fully
worthwhile.

I'm surprised that Mary hasn't been along yet to say that the OP should
be hugging it instead of wiping it out.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
[...]

More or less right.

Thanks, Dave,

Mary
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

I'm surprised that Mary hasn't been along yet to say that the OP should
be hugging it instead of wiping it out.

Too late with your barrow!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:23:20 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

It's a beautiful nest, if you have children let them see it and cut it,
again with a carving knife (it will be surprisingly tough inside)
vertically, to show the construction. Or just look and marvel yourself!

If the OP has no kids or gran kids, see if the local primary school would
like it for their nature table. Better still and a good excercise for the
OP to research and offer to do a short talk to the school on wasps and
their life cycle.

Wasps are a much maligned creature, yes they sting and it hurts like *FCK*
(experience) but a sting is rarely more than just pain and swelling for a
day or three. Generally Wasps don't sting unless seriously threatened so
it becomes an act of self defence.

One stung me on the calf while I was trying to destroy its nest in the
roof space of our extension a couple of years ago. No big deal.

Next attempt at destruction was in our present house, a converted barn.
The little devils had built their nest inside the wall, and you could
hear them literally eating the house. So, out with the spray. One zoomed
at me and got me on the eyebrow. Different result this time. Hurt like
hell, eye swelled up (hideously ugly photos available), ten days of eye
drops and antibiotics. Laid anti-wasp dust near the nest and haven't
seen a live one since.

Just like humans they get a bit
unpredictable when drunk. You wouldn't go up to a group of drunken youths
waving your arms about screaming and shouting trying to move 'em on so why
do the same with a wasp after it has been feeding on wind fall fruit?

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 47b5ff99@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2008-02-15 20:58:12 +0000, geoff said:

In message , Tim Downie
writes
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg
I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not
have it
in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Give it to Andy Hall -

What am I meant to do with it?

OOps - not paying attention properly there, sorry

I suppose it could be another application for the Mapp gas torch, but
one would want to have living wasps inside to make that fully
worthwhile.

Surely better to fill the nest with gas and light blue touch paper

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-15 20:58:12 +0000, geoff said:

In message , Tim Downie
writes
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/waspnest.jpg
I appreciate that there's probably nothing in it but I'd rather not have it
in my loft. Is is safe to remove it at this time of year?

Give it to Andy Hall -

What am I meant to do with it?

OOps - not paying attention properly there, sorry

I suppose it could be another application for the Mapp gas torch, but
one would want to have living wasps inside to make that fully
worthwhile.

Surely better to fill the nest with gas and light blue touch paper

Now that would be exciting. Exploding jaspers everywhere. No less
than they deserve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

Surely better to fill the nest with gas and light blue touch paper

Now that would be exciting. Exploding jaspers everywhere. No less
than they deserve.

MF
You're a heartless callous beast.
/MF
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:48:55 +0000, Peter Twydell wrote:

One stung me on the calf while I was trying to destroy its nest ...

Self defence, well defence of the nest.

Next attempt at destruction was in our present house, a converted barn.
The little devils had built their nest inside the wall, and you could
hear them literally eating the house.

No, you could hear them scratching about they don't build from or damage
sound timber. They make the "paper" for their nests from wood that has
started to break down. The grey fibrous stuff after exposure to sunlight
is a favorite.

One zoomed at me and got me on the eyebrow.

Defence again. If some fecking great monster came along trying to destroy
your home you'd use what you had available to try and stop it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:48:55 +0000, Peter Twydell wrote:

One stung me on the calf while I was trying to destroy its nest ...

Self defence, well defence of the nest.

Next attempt at destruction was in our present house, a converted barn.
The little devils had built their nest inside the wall, and you could
hear them literally eating the house.

No, you could hear them scratching about they don't build from or damage
sound timber. They make the "paper" for their nests from wood that has
started to break down. The grey fibrous stuff after exposure to sunlight
is a favorite.

One zoomed at me and got me on the eyebrow.

Defence again. If some fecking great monster came along trying to destroy
your home you'd use what you had available to try and stop it.

So, when you're sitting at a garden table, no food, no drink, no sudden
movements and one tings you, is that pre-emptive self defence, or what ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

i dont think wasps are active in this cold.

old wasp nests can be moved into by mice and other vermin,
thats why they should be removed.

Surely better to fill the nest with gas and light blue touch paper

and burn your house down!

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb, 21:09, Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose it could be another application for the Mapp gas torch, but
one would want to have living wasps inside to make that fully
worthwhile.

I had great fun with a nest in the garden ... first dowsed it in
meths, then waited for it to soak in, then set light to it. The best
bit were the ones who emerged on fire and plunged in flames like very
small Messerschmitts.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
i dont think wasps are active in this cold.

Only new queens are left from the old colony and they aren't in the nest.

old wasp nests can be moved into by mice and other vermin,
thats why they should be removed.

What you call vermin are creatures which serve a useful purpose (in our
human terms) by getting rid of what's not neded any longer.

If there's no old nest there mice will find somewhere else to go, you can't
blame the presence of mice on an old nest.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Real Doctor" wrote in message
On 15 Feb, 21:09, Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose it could be another application for the Mapp gas torch, but
one would want to have living wasps inside to make that fully
worthwhile.

I had great fun with a nest in the garden ... first dowsed it in
meths, then waited for it to soak in, then set light to it. The best
bit were the ones who emerged on fire and plunged in flames like very
small Messerschmitts.

Ian

In the same way as terrorists enjoy watching their victims?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"The Real Doctor" wrote in message
On 15 Feb, 21:09, Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose it could be another application for the Mapp gas torch, but
one would want to have living wasps inside to make that fully
worthwhile.

I had great fun with a nest in the garden ... first dowsed it in
meths, then waited for it to soak in, then set light to it. The best
bit were the ones who emerged on fire and plunged in flames like very
small Messerschmitts.

Ian

In the same way as terrorists enjoy watching their victims?

I have no problems with wasps in the loft until the last knockings when
they either seem to lose their way, or they're attracted into the house
by warmth. I suppose I'd rather die in the warm as well
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:33:04 GMT, geoff wrote:

So, when you're sitting at a garden table, no food, no drink, no sudden
movements and one tings you, is that pre-emptive self defence, or what ?

That is your direct personal experience, in which case give the full
story, or just hear say?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:33:04 GMT, geoff wrote:

So, when you're sitting at a garden table, no food, no drink, no sudden
movements and one tings you, is that pre-emptive self defence, or what ?

That is your direct personal experience, in which case give the full
story, or just hear say?

What more of a full story are you after ?

Sitting talking to my brother across a bench table in the back garden,
suddenly felt the bugger sting me

******* thing ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:04:32 GMT, geoff wrote:

What more of a full story are you after ?

Sitting talking to my brother across a bench table in the back garden,
suddenly felt the bugger sting me

More information on where it stung you? As you are obviously avoiding that
I suspect it became inadvertantly trapped between you and something else
and was about to be crushed.

That's what happened when I got stung by a wasp, it got up a loose T shirt
sleeve when my arm was raised. When I lowered my arm it was trapped in the
edge of my arm pit, it stung in self defence to avoid being squidged. It
worked I lfted my arm and it flew away...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:04:32 GMT, geoff wrote:

What more of a full story are you after ?

Sitting talking to my brother across a bench table in the back garden,
suddenly felt the bugger sting me

More information on where it stung you? As you are obviously avoiding that
I suspect it became inadvertantly trapped between you and something else
and was about to be crushed.

That's what happened when I got stung by a wasp, it got up a loose T shirt
sleeve when my arm was raised. When I lowered my arm it was trapped in the
edge of my arm pit, it stung in self defence to avoid being squidged. It
worked I lfted my arm and it flew away...

That's the usual reason for being stung 'for no reason'. Another is emitting
whjat the wasp senses as a threatening pheromone - chemical messenger. That
might be a dye in clothing or something which seems pleasing to us such as
scent, after-shave etc - or just our own body smell even if we're not aware
of it.

Wasps communicate partly through scent, they have a far greater sense than
humans.

Mary

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:04:32 GMT, geoff wrote:

What more of a full story are you after ?

Sitting talking to my brother across a bench table in the back garden,
suddenly felt the bugger sting me

More information on where it stung you? As you are obviously avoiding that
I suspect it became inadvertantly trapped between you and something else
and was about to be crushed.

I'm not avoiding anything

Sitting at a table talking, not waving my arms in a threatening way,
bare arm

Stop trying to see what's not there to see

Sitting talking quietly on a summer's day - little ****er alighted on my
arm and stung me

full story, end of

That's what happened when I got stung by a wasp, it got up a loose T shirt
sleeve when my arm was raised. When I lowered my arm it was trapped in the
edge of my arm pit, it stung in self defence to avoid being squidged. It
worked I lfted my arm and it flew away...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb, 09:43, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"The Real Doctor" wrote in ...

I had great fun with a nest in the garden ... first dowsed it in
meths, then waited for it to soak in, then set light to it. The best
bit were the ones who emerged on fire and plunged in flames like very
small Messerschmitts.

In the same way as terrorists enjoy watching their victims?

I have no idea whether terrorists enjoy watching their victims. But
since the little ****ers had been having a go at me, I felt about as
little dismay at watching them burn as I felt at the TV footage of
smouldering doctors outside Glasgow airport.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Real Doctor" wrote in message
On 17 Feb, 09:43, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"The Real Doctor" wrote in

I had great fun with a nest in the garden ... first dowsed it in
meths, then waited for it to soak in, then set light to it. The best
bit were the ones who emerged on fire and plunged in flames like very
small Messerschmitts.

In the same way as terrorists enjoy watching their victims?

I have no idea whether terrorists enjoy watching their victims. But
since the little ****ers had been having a go at me, I felt about as
little dismay at watching them burn as I felt at the TV footage of
smouldering doctors outside Glasgow airport.

Ian

As it happens you're wrong in that as in other things. The wasps you see
round or from a nest aren't ****ers, they don't have the equipment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:48:55 +0000, Peter Twydell wrote:

One stung me on the calf while I was trying to destroy its nest ...

Self defence, well defence of the nest.

I did realise that, so couldn't blame it for having a go.

Next attempt at destruction was in our present house, a converted barn.
The little devils had built their nest inside the wall, and you could
hear them literally eating the house.

No, you could hear them scratching about they don't build from or damage
sound timber. They make the "paper" for their nests from wood that has
started to break down. The grey fibrous stuff after exposure to sunlight
is a favorite.

I have seen and heard one having a go at a fence post, so I thought they
might be doing the same here. The nest was (is?) in the wall of what I
think is a newish extension to the original structure, so the wood there
is not old.

One zoomed at me and got me on the eyebrow.

Defence again. If some fecking great monster came along trying to destroy
your home you'd use what you had available to try and stop it.

True. It was on a July evening last year, when I thought they would have
been quiet. All the others were, as this was the only one I saw.

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

how to get rid of large paper hornet/wasp nest in attic? Rob[_6_] Home Repair 16 November 9th 07 03:23 PM
Getting Rid of Wasp Nest Les Home Repair 12 November 22nd 06 05:03 PM
Wasp nest removal? ? ? Ray Home Repair 17 August 4th 06 07:36 PM
Wasp nest wattie UK diy 36 July 20th 06 05:30 PM
Wasp nest Nick UK diy 43 January 31st 05 02:18 AM