Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OK to change electrical sockets in the kitchen ?

Hi,

is it OK to change the electrical sockets in my kitchen by myself, or
am I storing up loads of Part-P related problems for myself ? Is
there a special procedure I need to go through if I go ahead with
this ? My reason for changing them is they are all very tatty looking
and some of them don't work.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

is it OK to change the electrical sockets in my kitchen by myself, or

If it is just swapping one socket for another (say to change aesthetic
appearance), then this is allowed as a non notifiable work under part P.

am I storing up loads of Part-P related problems for myself ? Is

No

there a special procedure I need to go through if I go ahead with

No

this ? My reason for changing them is they are all very tatty looking
and some of them don't work.

Just change them - no problem

To quote Additional notes section of part P: "b. Replacement, repair
and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable, even if carried out
in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation."

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:42:23 -0800 (PST), Mike
wrote:

Hi,

is it OK to change the electrical sockets in my kitchen by myself, or
am I storing up loads of Part-P related problems for myself ? Is
there a special procedure I need to go through if I go ahead with
this ? My reason for changing them is they are all very tatty looking
and some of them don't work.

Thanks,

Mike

You might have problems if the reason for some of them not working is
more than cosmetic. Do you know why they don't work?

Why are they tatty? Just very old or does the dog chew them?

Some of the houses on my street are being done up to "decent homes
standards" which means all the single sockets have been swapped for
doubles. Including the one behind the washing machine.

Apparently one of my neighbours is not happy with the gap stuffed with
tissue paper and covered in sealant between units.
Mind you the boiler outlet at eye level outside is also a suprise!
They've not cut the soffits right round the windows apparently so
they're doing some sort of bodge on that.They have also replaced
lintels, removing the lead and placing a line of slatey tiles in.
My other neighbour referred to her new kitchen as "****e for like"
and isn't impressed at all.

They have had new roofs though and there are pretty impressive looking
bolts holding the hip tiles on. They're recycling old tiles and get
£500 a pallet apparently.

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just change them - no problem

Thanks John, I will do that.

Mike

Kitchen sink and electrical sockets - what do regs say? Lobster UK diy 6 June 24th 07 07:58 PM
overloading electrical sockets ?? NC UK diy 7 June 1st 06 10:55 PM
Electrical Sockets Mark UK diy 23 August 25th 05 10:02 AM
More Questions - Electrical sockets Stephen Gilkes UK diy 10 February 23rd 04 08:10 PM
Electrical sockets in kitchen cupboards alan UK diy 3 September 27th 03 08:42 PM