Ideal Response 120 combi - flashing LED and no heating

Old October 14th 07, 05:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

Default Ideal Response 120 combi - flashing LED and no heating

On an Ideal Response 120 combi, does anyone know what a flashing
"Central Heating" LED (behind the cosmetic cover) means? The symptoms
are the boiler won't light if the CH is on though the pump pumps the CH
water OK and the DHW works.

MTIA

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old October 15th 07, 07:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:41:32 +0100, bof wrote:

On an Ideal Response 120 combi, does anyone know what a flashing
"Central Heating" LED (behind the cosmetic cover) means? The symptoms
are the boiler won't light if the CH is on though the pump pumps the CH
water OK and the DHW works.

THE stock fault for this boiler is a leaking heat exchanger.
The usual presenting symptoms are that the boiler won't light because the
ignition is wet.

Old October 15th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

In message , Ed Sirett
writes
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:41:32 +0100, bof wrote:

On an Ideal Response 120 combi, does anyone know what a flashing
"Central Heating" LED (behind the cosmetic cover) means? The symptoms
are the boiler won't light if the CH is on though the pump pumps the CH
water OK and the DHW works.

THE stock fault for this boiler is a leaking heat exchanger.
The usual presenting symptoms are that the boiler won't light because the
ignition is wet.

Thanks for the reply. The boiler lights OK when it's DHW, and the CH
doesn't get hot even when the DHW is running. I'm sure the pump's OK as
when I switch off the DHW there's a couple of seconds surge of hot in
the CH.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old October 16th 07, 08:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:15:27 +0100, bof wrote:

In message , Ed Sirett
writes
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:41:32 +0100, bof wrote:

On an Ideal Response 120 combi, does anyone know what a flashing
"Central Heating" LED (behind the cosmetic cover) means? The symptoms
are the boiler won't light if the CH is on though the pump pumps the CH
water OK and the DHW works.

THE stock fault for this boiler is a leaking heat exchanger.
The usual presenting symptoms are that the boiler won't light because the
ignition is wet.

Thanks for the reply. The boiler lights OK when it's DHW, and the CH
doesn't get hot even when the DHW is running. I'm sure the pump's OK as
when I switch off the DHW there's a couple of seconds surge of hot in
the CH.

Firstly I'm sorry if I put you on the wrong trail here. You may well have
a model that has not yet eaten its heat exchanger (yet).

I don't have a manual for this model - what does it say?

Old October 16th 07, 08:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

Check the pressure vessel charge. This goes flat quickly on these models.
Check the system pressure. It has a low pressure switch, so if pressure low
problems. I'm not sure if it also has a CH flow switch, if so check this.

Old October 17th 07, 09:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

In message , Ed Sirett
writes

I don't have a manual for this model - what does it say?

I don't know, I haven't got a manual either.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old October 17th 07, 09:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Check the pressure vessel charge. This goes flat quickly on these
models. Check the system pressure. It has a low pressure switch, so if
pressure low problems.

If the pressure's stable and, from prior experience, if the pressure
does drop it won't light the DHW either.

I'm not sure if it also has a CH flow switch, if so check this.

Thanks, the CH light flashes continuously, irrespective of whether the
CH/DHW/stat switch etc. are on or off, which seems to imply that there's
an internal fault of some kind before attempting to run the CH.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old October 17th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:39:45 +0100, bof wrote:

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Check the pressure vessel charge. This goes flat quickly on these
models. Check the system pressure. It has a low pressure switch, so if
pressure low problems.

If the pressure's stable and, from prior experience, if the pressure
does drop it won't light the DHW either.

I'm not sure if it also has a CH flow switch, if so check this.

Thanks, the CH light flashes continuously, irrespective of whether the
CH/DHW/stat switch etc. are on or off, which seems to imply that there's
an internal fault of some kind before attempting to run the CH.

There's a reset swtich somewhere IIRC.

Old October 17th 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

In message , Ed Sirett
writes
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:39:45 +0100, bof wrote:

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Check the pressure vessel charge. This goes flat quickly on these
models. Check the system pressure. It has a low pressure switch, so if
pressure low problems.

If the pressure's stable and, from prior experience, if the pressure
does drop it won't light the DHW either.

I'm not sure if it also has a CH flow switch, if so check this.

Thanks, the CH light flashes continuously, irrespective of whether the
CH/DHW/stat switch etc. are on or off, which seems to imply that there's
an internal fault of some kind before attempting to run the CH.

There's a reset swtich somewhere IIRC.

First thanks for all the suggestions. The cutout switch I know of is on
the bottom right, but if that pops out it shuts off the DHW and the CH.
This fault is something specific to the CH.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk