Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need to do a metric crapload of loft insulation

My mother has asked me about insulating their loft as she's noticed
that the fuel bills are rising and the general cost of keeping the
place warm is "going through the roof". It's an old solid walled
place so there's little or nothing we can do wall insulation wise
unless there is a major refurb.....which is not on the cards.

However, the roofspace is pretty clear. I haven't been up yet to get
joist sizes to look at costs - but I reckon the house is about 8m deep
by about 30m long - 240m^2 - erk. I think some of the roofspace
already has insulation in it so this might cut it down by about 25ish
pc - but it is still quite a job.

Anyone got any thoughts about easier ways to do this than rolls of
glass wool stuff or similar. I'm tempted to ring up their leccy
supplier (Powergen) and see if they have any offers to do this as
quite frankly the amount of work just looks too much for me on my own
before xmas - and I just know I'm going to find other things that
"really - we should be doing" while I'm up there...

Anyone got any experience of the sort of costs of putting say 200mm
insulation over that sort of area? Is stuff on a roll the best
choice? Also - any tips on getting it from somewhere other than a
"shed" to get the cost down a bit?

All advice gratefully received.

Best,
dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan delaMare-Lyon" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If they are pensioners or unfortunate enough to be disabled or get benefits,
it really just isn't worth DIYing. My mother had her loft done (smaller than
your mothers) but at the time, IIRC, the "going rate" was about £320 but
because she qualified for the pensioner/benefits discount, all she paid was
£87.

Look at the utility companies for discount schemes as well.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 5:17 pm, Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:
[...]

Whether she gets any discount schemes or not, it may not be worth
DIYing, because a VAT registered firm doing the job can charge 5% VAT
instead of 17.5%, so the saving on the materials offsets a lot of the
labour cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:17:17 -0700, Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:

My mother has asked me about insulating their loft as she's noticed
that the fuel bills are rising and the general cost of keeping the
place warm is "going through the roof".

The local council will alomost certainly have a scheme to completely or
partly pay for loft insulation depending on the circumstances of the
household.

In my experience of these supplied and fitted schemes the standard of the
work won't be particulary high and may contravien modern wiring
regulations ie they just lay the insulation over the wiring. Now unless
they also do a full electrical survey how do they know that the required
derating of the cables is safe?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I got mine done recently from nothing, up to full spec for £249.

I phoned a company called 'Mico' who I believe are a national company.

The price is £249 regardless of size. For instance a small attic requiring a
top-up of 100mm would still be £249.

£249 isn't the full price and Mico claim for the grant.

Also if the owner is 60+ then there is no charge.

mark

Loft insulation? Matthew UK diy 6 November 7th 05 06:49 PM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM
What loft insulation to use? Anna Kettle UK diy 20 April 2nd 05 11:52 PM
Loft insulation? Mogweed UK diy 26 March 30th 05 07:19 PM
Loft insulation Conrad Edwards UK diy 0 August 25th 03 09:57 PM